2021 Forum Upgrades

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
For a while now I’ve been considering a few options to improve the user experience of the forums. The first option was to try to improve the current forums, however, for a multitude of reasons (no security updates, not mobile friendly, no modern features, etc, etc) it did not make sense to continue with the current software.

So, option 2, migration of the forums to a new forum software, and the one the club has decided on is… XenForo!

Features wise, it's got everything we currently use and more. I won't go through them all, but some of the nice ones I've been playing with are push notifications. You can set these up for your phone and desktop. If you use Tapatalk you already got notifications from that, but these are built into the forum and are customisable. Another good upgrade is the PM system, or as it’s known in XenForo "Conversations". These act more like a modern chat system, rather than vB's sending a message with a quote back and forth.

A big advantage (and I think Andy will benefit from this the most) is that it has better spam protection. We can't expect zero spam, but if some does get through, it has better tools to deal with the situation.

The Admins have been testing the new software for about a month now and we’re ready to make the switch. It has been decided that on this Saturday, 6th Feb 2021, at midday we will disable access to these forums and begin the migration. It shouldn't take any more than a couple of hours, but to be on the safe side and to take the pressure off, forums will be offline between 12pm and 6pm.

I've tried to think of some of the common questions you might have about the change in forum software, but let me know if you have any others and I'll do my best to answer them.

FAQs

Q. Will we lose anything from the current forums?
A. Yes, but only the "Garage" section. This is a very old plugin that has not been supported for years and it’s not part of the site that is used very much. Apart from that, pretty much everything else will migrate across.

Q. Does it support Tapatalk?
A. Yes. Tapatalk is supported on the new forums, but with the forum having a responsive theme, push notifications, and no adverts (which you now get in Tapatalk), I don't see any reason you would want to use it like this. You can also "Install" the forum on your phone via a web browser (not supported on iOS, read the foot notes on the below page).
XenForo features: App

Q. Will this affect my current membership?
A. No. All memberships will be transferred and will have access to all the same content. Payments will continue to be via PayPal.

Q. Will I need to change my password?
A. No. XenForo supports multiple password schemes, so all existing passwords will continue to work as before.

Q. What if something goes wrong on the day?
A. In the event of an issue on the day (e.g. family emergency, no broadband) the migration will take place on another day and this post will be updated with a new time and date. The existing forums will remain open to use.

TLDR: The forums will be migrating to a new software at 12pm 6th Feb, expect a maximum of 6 hours down time.

Last edited:
This is great news and much welcomed, especially around PMs. One question I have, will the web address change, so will old links posted on threads still work? One of the main problems I've found in searches is coming across what I guess was the old forum URL which goes no where. I'd hate for all of Andy's helpful links in posts to become unusable.

...will the web address change, so will old links posted on threads still work?

Great question David. Yes, the URLs for each page/post will be changing as the new software structures them differently, however, unlike previous server moves (.com > .org. > .club) we will be keeping the same domain, so this means we are able to put a redirect script in place. Any old links, bookmarks, etc, should automatically redirect to the correct place in new software without having to go back and edit thousands of posts.

I’m not in anyway software savvy but I admire the skill and plans to develop the site. Good luck and I hope it’s as painless as you want it to be.

Reactions: Quicksilver
@Mako A night mode is certainly a possibility in the future. Now that we have an up-to-date platform, I don't mind looking at this and other additional features which get requested.

Reactions: Foobar
Looks great, very up to date. Well done mart, I have no idea what you might have done but it seems to have worked fine!
Have we lost the 'thanks' function though?

Looks great, I must be getting old I need to figure out how to work it now :LOL:

Whats with the random convo I can see on the side between joyrider and luke, is it just me?

Installed the app, I can finally get rid of ruddy Tapatalk 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206_202356_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_202356_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 8
Looks great, I must be getting old I need to figure out how to work it now :LOL:

Whats with the random convo I can see on the side between joyrider and luke, is it just me?
It's there for all to see Dan. I think it's random 'profile' posts picked-up when the new forum test was started. They will gradually 'fall off' as new ones are added.

Reactions: dandamano
The mobile version of the site is a million times better! I no longer have to zoom in all the time! (Or use Tapatalk)

Reactions: Quicksilver