dogsbody

Honorary Member
Club Member
Feb 29, 2008
Castleford, West Yorks
Bahco S240 1/2" drive socket set.

IwZJ8mj.jpg

Spec:
Socket set 1/2 in square drive with dynamic drive profile. Supplied in an oil and temperature resistant plastic polypropene case.
DIN3120/ ISO 1174.
Matt chrome-plated.
Material: chrome vanadium.
1 each 1/2 in 6-point dynamic drive sockets:
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30 and 32mm.
1 each 1/2 in extension bar 125mm (5 in) and 250mm (10 in).
1 x 1/2 in universal joint.
1 x 1/2 in T-adaptor.
1 x 1/2 in flexible handle 10 in with grip.
1 x 1/2 in ratchet handle 54-teeth

I was looking for a new 1/2 drive socket set following the theft of my old faithful Britool set, this is the one i went for.

I was aware of Bahco's tools reputation for toughness having used their adjustable spanners for heavy site work for over 25 years and they are still as good as new.

The sockets themseves are 6 point (single Hex) type described as Dynamic drive, this means that they grip the flats of the nut rather than the corners which greatly reduces the risk of rusty old nuts "rounding off". This feature is essential when working on a 12 year old plus Cougar..and it works. I've used the set on a couple of spring / shocker swaps, a couple of wishbone replacements, rear suspension arms replacement and the full strip down of 2 Cougars without any nut rounding issues at all.

The finish to the sockets, as with everything else in the set, is a matt anti slip chrome plating which i much prefer to the shiny slippery finish on some socket sets. You are less likely to drop the thing with greasy fingers, esecially in those tight spots.

The next most important thing for me in a socket set is the ratchet handle, this one is smooth in operation, 54 teeth which is a fairly high count but not the highest out there, means that you can get a decent "turn" on the ratchet when space is limited. A push button fit and release of the socket means that it stays firmly attached. The flip reverse lever is well positioned and easy to operate one handed, again very useful in a tight spot. The grip is quite large, i would have preferred something slimmer, also the orange finish soon starts to look grubby with use and is not wipe clean..it may clean up with a degreaser though.

The rest of the kit is pretty standard, 12" and 6" extension bars that feel reassuringly heavy (as does everything in the set) A 10" knuckle bar with the same grip as the ratchet handle, the flex joint is very "tight" and i can vouch that it can take some abuse.A T-Bar adapter which accepts the 12" extension bar as a turning handle. A knuckle joint that again feels very tight and not sloppy as many of these things are.

The case is well made and pretty tough although i have knocked one of the fastening clips off twice i was able to screw it back on with no damage done.

All in all i am very happy with the set, i'm not a fan of the huge 100 odd piece multi sets, i prefer my 1/2" drive sockest seperate from my 3/8" drive sockets etc and this fits the bill for me very well.

The only criticism i can think of is the lack of a 3" extension bar but most sets do not include one either.

Purchase price: £48
Purchased from: Ebay retailer.
Build quality: 5
Ease of use: 5
Value for money:5