Changing a zetec clutch?

JBunney17

Forum user
Apr 8, 2012
Gloucester/Cardiff
Anyone done a clutch change on a zetec? Just wanted to know if there was anything in particular to look out for before I start... I've been told it's a ******* of a job. Luckily its not my cat; This unloved frosty with only 80k miles, has literally just been given to me by my brother. So i've got all winter to do little bits at a time in a warm garage - hopefully it won't be too stressful.

Thanks,

Jeff :)

Zetecs are a walk in the park to do. You've been talking to the wrong people obviously. Nothing really to look out for. Just apply common sense to an old car that could have rusty/seized bolts and you'll be fine. The bell housing bolts should all undo fine. You might need to be prepared to shove some effort into undoing the engine mounts though. If you've ever done a clutch change before, it's a doddle.

Easy job......can be done in around 4 hrs max if you have the right tools..... Last one I did the worst part was un-clipping the gear control cables from the gearbox lol stubborn little sods they were.

Kully once told me that he would happily help change a friend's clutch if it was on a Zetec, no problem.

He then said that he'd also help a friend change a Duratec clutch, but it would have to be a really, really good friend.

Kully once told me that he would happily help change a friend's clutch if it was on a Zetec, no problem.

He then said that he'd also help a friend change a Duratec clutch, but it would have to be a really, really good friend.

That should be the official guide lol :LOL:

Changed Paul Whitelock's Zetec clutch just for fun once! Well, it wasn't really fun but the old clutch was working fine - he just wanted a different one.

Come to think of it, we dropped the steering rack with the subframe and when we put it back together his steering wheel wasn't connected to the rack when he went to drive the back wheels off the ramps. That bit was funny :LOL: