Review: 4/5 Double DIN Stereo

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
So c_Derek_b and Dandmano each bought one of these. It's a cheap Double DIN head unit with a touch-screen. At the time I type this, the market is flooded with them and they cost around £40.

Some come with remote controls and some with a reverse camera. Since I already have a reverse camera, I bought the one with the remote.

The box:

YqtEtcb.jpg

There's no real branding and this is your first clue about what you're getting into. Their specific model is labelled though.

What's in the box:

hVdkZeN.jpg

Well, there it is. No cage, so you're going to have to secure it yourself. There's a pair of looms, but you shouldn't need to use them if you have a Ford-ISO conversion kit already.

What it really looks like:

kbODfRQ.jpg

It's pretty, and the volume/power/mode buttons are positive and solid.

Before I tried to install it, I thought I'd plug it in and check it out. I'm not a bass mechanic, but the fact that it's a 60Wx4 as standard is pretty good. The sound is full and rich, and it works well with my JBLs.

5SfvcPu.jpg

But it has all the normal outputs, and I imagine you could happily hook it up to an amp. It also has all the usual inputs and is phone-ready with Bluetooth and a microphone.

oQCVEpN.jpg

After looking at it for a while, I realised that it's only some plastic that you need to cut out from the dash. An hour later...

sa0FYI0.jpg

Summary:

The good:

1) It's cheap but good quality.
2) The internal amplifier is more powerful than Sony or JVC equivalents and sounds fantastic.
3) The overall functionality is superb. The touchscreen is far more responsive than you'd expect.
4) Fitment is simple if you have a Dremel.
5) The Bluetooth/phone system works very well and is really clear.

The bad:

1) It's un-branded. Who are they and who do you shout at if it goes wrong?
2) You need a Dremel to fit it.

Summary:

Why haven't you bought one of these if you need a double-DIN?

Last edited:
Deliberate:LOL:
Looks like a great unit for the money, you could have a new one every year for a decade and still be cheaper than an Alpine etc.

Thanks Chris... 2 questions,

First - Does the woman come with it? (Ebay lnk)
Second - did you notice if there was a sub-output? :)

Cheers

Did you hook up the auto detect wire for the reverse camera Chris?

Couldnt figure out from the chinese instructions where to splice the red wire into the Ford ones already in the car

Looks like it needs to go into connection number 12 from what I could make out

For that price, unless you specifically want DVD and DAB, it'd be silly not to get one. As for the missing cage, does it need one as the unit doesn't have the depth to justify one?

Thanks Chris... 2 questions,

First - Does the woman come with it? (Ebay lnk)
Second - did you notice if there was a sub-output? :)

Cheers

1) LOL No, she doesn't. And that's probably for the best since girls like that are... problematic.

2) No, it doesn't seem so, though there is a rear RCA out which could be adapted.

Did you hook up the auto detect wire for the reverse camera Chris?

Couldnt figure out from the chinese instructions where to splice the red wire into the Ford ones already in the car

Looks like it needs to go into connection number 12 from what I could make out

Sorry, no! I didn't even try. I have a separate screen for reversing.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the missing cage, does it need one as the unit doesn't have the depth to justify one?

Frankly it doesn't. It's very short, very light, and fits the chassis perfectly. If you're careful with the grinder, there should be no problem at all.

The vendor image with a hand pressing the settings icon on the screen, that guy wouldn't be big enough or strong enough to drive a Cougar or maybe any other normal sized vehicle.

In T241 i fitted a solid-state 6-CD emulator that runs entirely on the external multiCD connector, as that is absent on the in-dash 6-CD in MV51, I've just used a lighter-socket FM transmitting player/charger/bluetooth adapter, keeping the Ford original HU for CD/radio.

The vendor image with a hand pressing the settings icon on the screen, that guy wouldn't be big enough or strong enough to drive a Cougar or maybe any other normal sized vehicle.

LOL I see what you mean! The joys of Photoshop wielded by the incompetent...

In T241 i fitted a solid-state 6-CD emulator that runs entirely on the external multiCD connector

That sounds really interesting! Got any details/pics you want to share please?

Okay, I've been living with this thing for a few days now, and went out for a roadtrip to Paul's house this afternoon. So here's a review update...

The Good:

1) I was right about how important the physical buttons are. It's really handy to be able to change the volume, the track you're listening to, or even to just mute the thing without looking. When I'm driving, I'm driving and I don't want to have to look at a touchscreen. The ergonomics are far better than the JVC and Sonichi units I had fitted before; you can even change the source and mode by booping the physical dial.

2) I can't see myself using this function unless I'm on a loooong motorway run, but the Bluetooth coupling to my phone (as well as the phonebook and call history upload) was quick and painless, and the microphone is extremely sensitive. In testing, T heard me loud and clear over the engine at full chat. I accidentally called Dave Chant at one point, but that's on me.

3) The screen is crisp and clear, and you can easily watch movies on it. The only drawback is that if you're ripping DVDs, the aspect ratio will be a bit... off, since it's not actually 12x9.

The Bad:

1) It was clearly intended for the Russian/Chinese market and doesn't do station identification. This is something I've seen on manufacturer headunits since the mid-90s, so it's bewildering that it doesn't do that. It only shows you the frequency, even if you've dialled in the presets and forget getting the name of the song you're listening to. It doesn't do any of that.

2) The touchscreen doesn't work particularly well at the very edges, where many of the function icons are. Probably because - ya know - it's cheap. I mean it's fine, but requires a firmer jab than you'd expect and that might make you take your eyes off the road.

The Ugly:

Literally nothing. I actually can't find anything to dislike about this unit unless it catches fire and burns my car to the ground.

My Conclusion:

This unit is well-featured, seems to be of good construction quality, and is far easier to fit than some others I've seen. There are multiple vendors selling it with different camera options.

While you can definitely tack an amp onto the back of it, it's not where you would start for a Big Install. But if you're looking at buying one you're probably - like me - not in that league.

TL;DR: if you'd like to modernise your audio with minimal stress, buy one of these.

Some Pictures:

FM:

nXhMAcX.jpg

Watching a film:

eBVlMWN.jpg

Home screen:

SKxCX36.jpg

USB music:

7Lx0X8d.jpg

KITTY!!!

6rc7qwV.jpg

Great advice and really appreciated, but those memory sticks were only there to demonstrate movies (they're only installed when the car isn't moving and I'd be in a position to watch one).

Normally there is a 90-degree cable there with the actual memory stick tucked up in the pax footwell.