Ex Member wants to save a Cougar

G

Guy Muller

Hi,

I’m an ex-fully paid up UK Cougar Club member who’s been out of Cougars for quite a number of years now - I’ve reached out to you, as I wondered if you might be able to help me save my dads old Cougar please?

He has a 2000, Tourmaline Green 2.5 Auto with leather, reversing sensors etc, which has been left outside, standing unused for about 2yrs…

Its actually still in lovely, solid condition with a great engine/ gearbox and a superb interior - however, despite my trying, it’s refusing to start…

It has plenty of (new) fuel, it turns over freely and will fire-up briefly on a drop of easy start, but the fuel-pump isn’t running - although it has power…I’m pretty sure the pump has seized…(or the immobiliser is cutting-in?)

I wondered if this is a common problem with an easy ‘enthusiast-knowledge’ fix, or if you might know of the whereabouts of a pump I could buy please?

Unfortunately, my dad suffers from Vascular Dementia and Prostate Cancer, so it’s down to me to try and save the Cougar - however, he & the Cougar live in Reigate, Surrey…I live nr Kettering, Northants!

Any thoughts or suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Kindest Regards,

Guy Muller.

Hi Guy, I'm going to move this thread to 'New Owners' so you can still access it to view any replies.

The fuel pump is situated on top of the fuel tank, which sits in a shaped recess under the back seat. The 'correct' way to access it is to drop the rear suspension subframe and then the fuel tank. The more common method is to access it from inside the car by removing the rear seat base. Ford thoughtfully placed an access hatch there but, rather less thoughtfully, it doesn't quite line up with the fuel pump! The way round this is to carefully enlarge the access hatch with tin snips (you obviously don't want to be using any kind of power tools that close to the fuel tank due to the risk of sparks). The bodyshell is plenty strong enough to withstand it, it just looks a little 'Heath Robinson' - although it will be completely hidden from view once the rear seat goes back in.

If it were my car, I'd be taking the long route, but I'm a bit of a fussy bugger!

Hello Guy. I’ve not had any fuel pump problems but if all is well the pump kicks in on ignition, ( before the final key twist to engage the starter )
If you can check for V onto the pump terminals at that point then the pump should be running, I dont think there is any switching after that key click on the negative volts side of the circuit that would hold it off. You could jump the pump negative terminal to a local earth just in case to prove the point.
Alas I’m not close to the cars location.

hi ,as u said she fired up a bit with easy start that suggest everything is ready to go but shes not getting fuel..
if u cant hear the pump run under the back seat for 2 seconds approx then its likely your pump has seized.. as tony suggested above a good knock can free it off but i wouldnt rely on it unless u like calling recovery in a car park somewhere.
best way is to cut the hole under the seat ,beware of the pipes! make sure u can see them where and when your cutting, knock the metal lock ring round to release the access plate...beware when removing the pipes and clips as they get brittle and can snap..wd40 is your friend here and some long nose pliers to pinch the tabs on the clips and release the pipes...do not force it, gentle twist and up motions as you pinch the tabs is required.
the proper way is to remove the tank but removing a 23 or so year old exhaust ,subby and tank straps on a car thats been sat for 2 years is just asking for more trouble..
just beware also that if u have been trying to start it alot with a stuck pump you are likely to have blown a fuse so check this also...
i changed the pump on mine at the sellers house as it had done the same and wouldnt start... easy job which took 30 mins max..
Post automatically merged:

there are different types tho this being for the earlier ones 98/99

Last edited:
Hi Gents and thanks soooo much for the replies - you’ve confirmed my exact thoughts!

I’ve lifted the rear seat base and checked the voltage at the plug…my meter shows voltage on three of the four pins, with one being an earth I suppose? (I’m no sparky though!!!)

I’ve also given the pump a good clout with a heavy spanner from the top, without any success - I’ve not tried from below due to access, but I’ve checked the fuses and relay in the fusebox under the bonnet…I also checked to see if fuel was in the rail/ pipes by pressing the valve briefly (non came out).

I think I’m gonna have to get the tin-snips out…my dad has been quoted £160.00 + VAT per-hour, for a mobile mechanic to have a look!!! 🫣

I’ll keep you all updated!

Kindest Regards,

Guy.

Hi Minty, I’ve not had pump problems so no personal experience but it does sound like a seized pump.
Others will need to advise on the pump plug terminals but if you’ve got 12V on at least one and to complete the circuit the pump has an earth return path then it should run.

Last edited:
thats exactly how suzi(my coug) was when i went to get her from the seller..power to the plug but no pump operation..cut the hole out and replace the pump and she fired up after 2 turns..seller was shocked as hed killed two full batterys trying to start her b4 realizing the pump was dead..
he had been quoted by a mobile mech ,£612 to do the work and parts on top.. to do a 30 min job o_O but then he wanted to lower the fuel tank and even quoted for a complete exhaust.
i think the fiddliest bit was getting the pipes to come off the access plate..becarefull with em..