FIBRE GLASS BODY KIT INFO REQUIRED IF POSSIBLE.

Franspeed

Well-known user
Feb 23, 2014
Nottinghamshire
I have a fibre glass body kit that I forgot about and only recently came across it again when I had to move out of my unit.... :rolleyes: ..I was wondering if any one could pass on any info re this kit, I have put pics up hopefully showing the labels with the name of maybe the original design, is it something that could be maybe re created again, using these as the template...if there was any interest and we could find a company that could make them, hopefully not breaking any copy right issues... Anyway pics below for any help/info...(y)..

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 14
I highly doubt it mate, given they're for a deeply unpopular (in the 'grand scheme of things') 20+ year old Ford, but there may be someone somewhere pushing out a knock off replica.

Reactions: Franspeed
Maker appears to be a company called autostyle going by the stickers. 20 years plus them being epoxied to the part doesn't do any favors for reading them. Popping a new mold and remaking the part wouldn't be difficult at all but judging by the condition of the kit it needs a little love before hand.
And honestly if you modify it in anyway, change a grille opening, adjust an angle, anything that makes it different then the kit you bought then technically you're not selling their part. Nothing wrong with using other parts as inspiration it's just not cool to buy a kit pop a mold off of the exact kit and then sell it as your own idea. Change the mold and the name and its a new kit.
Its by no means a hard project, to do an entire body kit is going to be extremely time consuming though.

Reactions: Franspeed
Thanks for all the input guys, my thoughts were/are: if possible could I get this kit tidied up and maybe take to a company that works with fibreglass mouldings and see if I could get a complete set of the body kit made and possibly look at making them available to anyone that may be interested in them.

Autostyle are a Dutch company who are still in existence but there is no evidence of any Cougar related body kits available on their website now. Cougar offerings appear to be mainly limited to bonnet bras, lowering springs, wheel spacers and air filters.

I believe we found a mould and maybe some test pieces for the No Limits front grille when we sorted Al's stuff but I can't remember where they ended-up.

Is there really any demand for more of this ?

I‘m no expert but I would imagine if a mould was to be taken the kit would be best be on a car and therefore I it’s correct position to start with.

Most companies will shy away unless you can guarantee selling 10 kits (molds are labour intensive) it would take 2 guys 2 weeks just to make the molds so you see they'd need to make their money back. And tbh most wouldn't pay any more than 400 quid for a set............which is really cheap!!!

Reactions: WildRacer