got meself a cat

C

crowdan22

hi all, got myself a cat at the weekend. has a knackered engine but bidding on 1 now hopefully win it. any tips for when im putting the new one in would be a good help. the big ends went in the engine after only 46k i just wondered if that happens alot or the bloke was just unlucky. but lucky for me as i got a mint cougar for only £400. can't wait to get it on the road.

Welcome again Dan - you are certainly in the right place for help and advice with your new project - there is a certain nutter on here who has 4x4'd his cat and done an ST220 engine transplant so not much (if anything) he won't know about it :ihih:. Plenty of other people on here have also done transplants for various reasons.

Best advice would be to get subscribed for a measly £13 pa (25p/week) and then you can get access to all the technical areas which will be invaluable if you are going to be fitting a new engine.

Best of luck with it mate - keep us all updated - pictures are essential on here (y)
:D

Hi crowdan and welcome to ukcougar.com, your in the right place for all things cougar related, as well as some crazy banter. You will also be able to find all the fixes you need in our subscriber sections. Have a browse around the open forums and get a feel for the place, maybe pay a visit to the OFS. Remember! ukcougar.com is the only workshop manual for the big cat.

hi all, got myself a cat at the weekend. has a knackered engine but bidding on 1 now hopefully win it. any tips for when im putting the new one in would be a good help. the big ends went in the engine after only 46k i just wondered if that happens alot or the bloke was just unlucky. but lucky for me as i got a mint cougar for only £400. can't wait to get it on the road.

If it's a V6 then he probably let the oil level get too low, the Cougar really doesn't like that. They don't use a lot of oil, they just throw a hissy fit if you let it get too low.

It sounds like he must have run the oil low, you should keep them filled up to the max on the dipstick as when the oil is low on the stick it means its out of oil,
The only real problem your going to have I would say is that I dont know if the earlier engine is a straight swop for a later engine and vice versa, as there are two slightly different V6 duratec's fitted to cougars, so you might want to find out the year of the duratec V6 your bidding on before buying. It should be a fantastic car when its repaired.

welcome to the club m8, v6 engine is normally good for well in excess of 100k miles if looked after, hope all goes well with the transplant, get a few pics up,(y)

Hi Crowdan, the engine swop is a fairly easy one to do we have done approx 12 0f these, if you need help give us a shout. We do have a good V6 engine sat in the corner we keep falling over! Give charliecd001 a shout for some details. Welcome to the club.

Hi and welcome to the club (madhouse) great bunch on here and a few laughs to be had along the way,loads of info no manuals made for cougar but all the info is either in subscriber section (£13) or the members are both knowledgeable and helpful,as well as a little mad:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: nice to see another being rescued rather than scrapping
Tony (y)

Hello and welcome aboard Dan. Hope you get the engine sorted soon. Post up some pic's in the meantime to show us what you have bought.

Tim

!BdRoKU!BWk~$(KGrHqIOKj!Eq4gH8f+hBK4K1ih)+!~~_12.JPG

heres me new little toy, just need to put thr new engine in that i won on e bay yesterday. £160 for the engine and £450 for the car, got meself a bargain ain't i???
!BdRob2w!mk~$(KGrHqUOKicEq5HCbNGQBK4K2NK(mw~~_12.JPG

!BdRoKU!BWk~$(KGrHqIOKj!Eq4gH8f+hBK4K1ih)+!~~_12.JPG

heres me new little toy, just need to put thr new engine in that i won on e bay yesterday. £160 for the engine and £450 for the car, got meself a bargain ain't i???
!BdRob2w!mk~$(KGrHqUOKicEq5HCbNGQBK4K2NK(mw~~_12.JPG

That's looking very nice and completely standard too, so apart from the engine...what is your first mod going to be?...may I suggest getting rid of the fried eggs :yikes::LOL::LOL::LOL:. Bet you can't wait to get her all sorted so you can have that same constant grin the rest of us wear :yesnod::LOL::LOL: