Review: 4/5 GPS Car Tracker - TK103A

banhim

, Googlit
May 17, 2013
United Kingdom
71u4yDHUcTL._SL1000_.jpg

Image from Amazon, other retailers are available.

This GPS tracker is designed for use with any 12v source and can function as a basic tracker with only two wires and a SIM car (will accept any standard SIM), however the wiring harness allows lots of extra functionality, namely it will act as a basic alarm, it'll allow you to remotely monitor the car interior via a microphone, it can send you a message if a door is opened or the engine is started and of course you can immobilise the car, and also STOP A RUNNING vehicle should somebody make off with your pride and joy.

Good points:
-Rugged build quality for price, unit is housed in dedicated steel enclosure, better wiring harness than expected for price point.
-Supplied manual is comprehensive
-A plethora of features that allow customisation and can be set-up for GPRS tracking via a web based application
-SiRF III GPS, great resolution even with poor satellite view.
- Fairly simple to set up, comes with a 30A relay for immobiliser function.
- Internal battery, and power-cut alarm (via text) if it is tampered with.

Bad Points:
- Quite a high current draw charging (saw 600mA on mine when initially installed but dropped to around 100mA when charged.)
- Not a first time DIY project if you want to use more than basic tracking functionality; you'll need a multimeter and a solid grasp of basic vehicle electrical systems.
- Manual has elements of 'Chinglish' and can be a tad confusing on first read.
- Occasionally doesn't respond instantly, requires two 'calls' 1/25 requests for the vehicles location.
- Irritating if you leave 'armed' then drive the car as it'll keep texting every minute or so until you disarm it.
- Needs GPS antenna discretely mounting with LOS to the sky.
- Supplied relay felt a touch 'adequate', I threw this in the parts box and used another higher-quality relay I had knocking around.
- Immobiliser is of the most fundamental type, it's a relay.... BUT, to get anything that isn't a glorified relay will cost £500+

What must be remembered is the price-point, the unit costs £26!!! Just think about that, the opportunity to always know where you vehicle is, to remotely shut it down, to get a text-message if somebody opens a door, removes the battery or starts the engine without your express permission, also you can 'dial in' and listen to the cabin conversation.

You simply phone the tracker (you set up the SIM, I use a PAYG SIM and pay £5 a month as an automatic top-up so it's always well in credit) it'll hang up after three-rings and send instantly an SMS with a link to Google maps showing the precise location of the vehicle, the speed of the vehicle and if the engine is running/doors are open.

I can elaborate if anybody is interested, but for the simple fact it's £26 it's a no brainier... I'd have happily paid 4x the price for mine for the features, quality and the fact is some twunt steals my car, I can track them down....

Purchased from Amazon, undoubtedly plenty of other retailers of Hong-Kong specials will sell it too.

Product Quality- 4/5
Value for Money - 5/5

Overall 4.5/5