Review: 4/5 Halfords Advanced Modular Tray Set - 12 Piece Ratchet Spanner Set

Pid_16V

Admin (Uncle Al)
Club Admin
Nov 20, 2006
Mansfield (Robin Hood Country)
I've bought a few tools from Halfords over the years and always found them to be good quality, without exception so when i saw this set i decided to order and selected "FREE Delivery". They arrived the following day. I doubt i'll be doing much "spannering" for some time but this is a nice set to have in the cabinet.

Set consists of sizes 8mm to 19mm
Price: £60
Purchased from: Halfords.

Build quality: 4/5. only because i beleive in leaving room for improvement.
Ease of use: Spanners.
Value for money: 5/5

Overall rating: 4/5.
Quality as usual from Halfords feels good and the ratchet in the ring end feels fine and positive.
Set includes a neat tray for storage in the tool cabinet .

DSC_0026 (2).jpgDSC_0025 (2).jpg

I have this set too Alan, they are fantastic and never let me down...

only criticism i have is they they are a little chunky because of the ratchet so sometimes still need a traditional ring spanner :(

Yes, there are some jobs (front ARB bolts) that you simply can't do with them. But in places where they are usable, the shallow turn and tilt you can get on them is wonderful.

For the record, I've got the same set in a non-modular package. They sit in the bottom of my roller box.

I do have the equivalent modular swan-neck set which I bought for Jinxy's cambelt change - you need them to loosen the alternator pulley and I borrowed a 13mm last time - and I totally agree with Al's assessment on those too. Beautifully machined, but a 5/5 grade would be too much. 4.5 though.