Hello from France

Roxyams

New user
Oct 4, 2022
Hi there,
I have just bought a 2000 2.5 V6 cougar (full leather interior, heated front seats and electric adjustable drivers seat) which came with its full service history from new and all original books and manuals.
It is in pretty good condition. There is a little issue that someone may be able to help with. The sunroof doesn't open using the electric motor, it can be opened manually and the motor works to open it, the previous owner seemed to think there is a small part the need replacing to allow the electric motor to do its job. Does anyone know what this part is, where it might be found and is it a job I could do myself? Many thanks
(although I'm form the uk I live in France so then car is a French registered left hand drive model)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The usual problem with an inoperative or jammed sunroof is part of the plastic runners breaking-up. As yours still moves manually it would suggest a problem with the load sensors on the cables.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Are the sensors easily obtainable and easy to replace? Is there a way of checking that it is the sensors?

Welcome Roxyams.
I can’t advise on you’re sunroof but there’s some very knowledgeable people around here.

hi welcome!
ive never looked at a cougar sunroof but on my ford scorpio the gear wheel that sits on the motor inside sheared some teeth causing exactly what u described...manually winding it worked but u could hear the motor spinning and no action

i got a gear wheel from a mondeo and that fixed it...u will need to take it all appart tho..

Thanks for the replies and the welcome to the forum.
I’ll look into the gear wheel idea too.

Welcome, i've played with these motors and they can be very frustrating lol theres a blue cam wheel inside the gearbox which operates the limit switches, these can break or even come loose allowing movement which throws the switches out of sync.
Check the relay and fuses etc first but odds on it's that blue wheel.
Pretty sure i had photos somewhere but it was a very long time ago.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
Welcome, i've played with these motors and they can be very frustrating lol theres a blue cam wheel inside the gearbox which operates the limit switches, these can break or even come loose allowing movement which throws the switches out of sync.
Check the relay and fuses etc first but odds on it's that blue wheel.
Pretty sure i had photos somewhere but it was a very long time ago.
Thanks for the reply, if you did find the photos that would be a great help. Many thanks