• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Ideas to improve the Owners Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the many improvements I suggested for the club was to use excess subscription funds to buy and store parts which could then be sold onto members who needed them at a discount rate, same as how the Triumph, VW Camper, mini and several other vintage car clubs did, this would then give anyone selling cougar parts a place to sell to direct meaning you wouldn't have to spend time moderating the fir sale section, I am sure there was a good reason the admin team didn't want to go down this route or several of the other ideas that would have led to the longevity of a car club that is gradually dieing

Everton

Club Member
Oct 10, 2009
Coming Soon....
I think the actual storage of the parts was the issue - it's hard enough finding someone willing to store the gay zebra, banner and the like. While that kind of system may work for classic marques, the enthusiast base for the Cougar will never be big enough to support it.

I think the actual storage of the parts was the issue - it's hard enough finding someone willing to store the gay zebra, banner and the like. While that kind of system may work for classic marques, the enthusiast base for the Cougar will never be big enough to support it.
that's cause you think small, there was a surplus of over £3k a year which could have been used to rent a garage for storage, its the I dont give a damn as long as I don't have to attitude that is killing this club

dogsbody

Honorary Member
Club Member
Feb 29, 2008
Castleford, West Yorks
There was never a surplus.
You know this Paul....and you know why.

We are only now, within the last couple if weeks in fact, able to look at spending some club funds and putting into practice some of the ideas and suggestions that have been raised over the last few years at least.
The Admin team are committed to the well being of the club. We do care.
Please don't judge us by the actions and attitudes of previous Admin.

There was never a surplus.
You know this Paul....and you know why.
There was a surplus as was proven, it just didn't stay in the club hence the minimal changes, that surplus could have been maintained but ploughed into the club. The admin team at the time were short sighted and couldn't see the possibilities, the original argument which has been done pretty much to death was that the surplus wasn't going into the club, the admin team took it as a personal attack and something has happened, new members have joined and the admin team has got slightly bigger and I look forward to seeing effective changes, maybe it can sweeten the sour taste left from people treating my questions as personal attacks

backseateducation

Events Co-Ordinator
Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
I certainly think that collective spares stock would be a good idea, especially of unavailable or hard to find parts.
Time marches on, and the Cougar is no longer current, or indeed even wanted by many people apart from us crazy lot. A scheme like this could attract owners on the periphery to become more involved, and make us collectively stronger.
I don't know the financial ins and outs, but Paul is making a good point here.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Maybe time to reduce the membership price then seen as there is so much surplus. If the club has bought everything it now needs for events the membership does not need to be anywhere near what it is today. It could be dropped by £5 easy and still provide enough money to run the club.
Also there are other ways to raise money for the club. T_shirts, hoodies, mugs, umbrella's, mouse mats, the list is endless, with all profits going back into the club.
There has got to be a better way of doing things and making sure all money is going back into the club for everyone who is a member. If the club was more open you would find more people will join in.

Maybe time to reduce the membership price then seen as there is so much surplus. If the club has bought everything it now needs for events the membership does not need to be anywhere near what it is today. It could be dropped by £5 easy and still provide enough money to run the club.
Also there are other ways to raise money for the club. T_shirts, hoodies, mugs, umbrella's, mouse mats, the list is endless, with all profits going back into the club.
There has got to be a better way of doing things and making sure all money is going back into the club for everyone who is a member. If the club was more open you would find more people will join in.
I think you will find the current subscription fee is a fair price to pay, hell I would pay £30 a year if I knew that the money was going toward keeping cougars on the road (y)

dogsbody

Honorary Member
Club Member
Feb 29, 2008
Castleford, West Yorks
I'm happy for this thread to evolve.
We have reduced the subscription price and it is something that is constantly under review.
We have been unable, until very recently, been able to access club funds...we are now looking at ways to spend this money for the benefit of the club and its subscribers.

I like the idea of a parts stock for the club....if the details can be worked out then its something we would consider i'm sure.

We are also trying to be more open than in the past, we now publish a statement of club accounts for all to see. This was brought about by the accusations in the past and i thought we had put all that behind us.

We have also discussed alternative fund raising via a web shop for club branded items, it's something that i would like to persue further.

Really, we are open to suggestion but if an idea is not taken on board for whatever reason its nothing personal...i've had a few ideas shot down but i still keep trying :)

kittylover

Well-known user
Jun 15, 2012
North Warwickshire
I'm sure people would even donate parts for free if such a scheme existed. As has been said the actual storage is an issue but if funds can be used to rent a garage and someone is willing to be a key holder etc than that sounds good to me.

FlamencoAssassin

Well-known user
Sep 9, 2004
Cambridgeshire
About 5 years ago we rented a council garage for about £35 per month but I've heard they've doubled their prices since then. Maybe because they did a refurb programme - new doors and roofs etc. I suppose it will vary depending on demand and availability in a particular area.

We'd need to invest in shelving and racking too.

Last edited:

Everton

Club Member
Oct 10, 2009
Coming Soon....
You also have to consider location - the parts store would need to be pretty much central to the membership. It's no good being one end of the country when it's going to be an almighty pain getting parts to the opposite end (remembering, we do have some Scottish members) (y)

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
I think you will find the current subscription fee is a fair price to pay, hell I would pay £30 a year if I knew that the money was going toward keeping cougars on the road (y)

I still feel it is to high as there is so much surplus money being generated now, surely this club is being run as a non profit club ? or am I wrong about that and someone still owns the club outright and is entitled to the money it generates. If that is the case then fair enough, I have no problem with that at all but it would be nice to know.
This is one of the main reasons I do not subscribe any more as I feel it is no longer value of money. There are so many other clubs you can join and be apart of free of charge.
I have noticed that even the events have now changed and you no longer need to be a subscribed member to attend them, and you do not have to have a Cougar any more to attend them. This is the way this club has ended up and will end up in years to come as most people will not carry on with the car due to the age and money involved to keep it going.
So I do not see the need to having to pay to be apart of a club that I can be involved in anyhow.
Can you see my point ?
I would happily pay membership if it was less than it is right now but not £15 for lets be honest information we can all find over the internet or Facebook friends who are either members and can access it all or have the knowledge to point you in the right direction.
I personally feel that in time the club will end up being a dinosaur and left behind or even worse extinct.
One of the people that own and run this club to think about.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
We are only now, within the last couple if weeks in fact, able to look at spending some club funds and putting into practice some of the ideas and suggestions that have been raised over the last few years at least.

Peter, did you not see the above?

Between November 2014 and the second week in August 2015 we could not access the greater part of the income generated by subscriptions. That, and only that, is the reason why there is what appears to be a 'surplus' of funds. If we hadn't had the access problem then we would have used the money to subsidise event tickets, pay a greater contribution to 'Fest etc while maintaining enough in the account to cover the monthly running costs AND looking after the long term well-being of the club finances.

I am personally responsible for providing a detailed monthly breakdown of our income and expenditure and I can assure you, despite your unfounded insinuations, that every single penny is accounted for and is there for all subscribers to see at the end of every month.

dogsbody

Honorary Member
Club Member
Feb 29, 2008
Castleford, West Yorks
I still feel it is to high as there is so much surplus money being generated now, surely this club is being run as a non profit club ? or am I wrong about that and someone still owns the club outright and is entitled to the money it generates. If that is the case then fair enough, I have no problem with that at all but it would be nice to know.
This is one of the main reasons I do not subscribe any more as I feel it is no longer value of money. There are so many other clubs you can join and be apart of free of charge.
I have noticed that even the events have now changed and you no longer need to be a subscribed member to attend them, and you do not have to have a Cougar any more to attend them. This is the way this club has ended up and will end up in years to come as most people will not carry on with the car due to the age and money involved to keep it going.
So I do not see the need to having to pay to be apart of a club that I can be involved in anyhow.
Can you see my point ?
I would happily pay membership if it was less than it is right now but not £15 for lets be honest information we can all find over the internet or Facebook friends who are either members and can access it all or have the knowledge to point you in the right direction.
I personally feel that in time the club will end up being a dinosaur and left behind or even worse extinct.
One of the people that own and run this club to think about.

If the subscription fee is too much for you to afford in one go we could look at easy payment options?
I understand that people are feeling the pinch with the financial climate being what it is.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Peter, did you not see the above?

Between November 2014 and the second week in August 2015 we could not access the greater part of the income generated by subscriptions. That, and only that, is the reason why there is what appears to be a 'surplus' of funds. If we hadn't had the access problem then we would have used the money to subsidise event tickets, pay a greater contribution to 'Fest etc while maintaining enough in the account to cover the monthly running costs AND looking after the long term well-being of the club finances.

I am personally responsible for providing a detailed monthly breakdown of our income and expenditure and I can assure you, despite your unfounded insinuations, that every single penny is accounted for and is there for all subscribers to see at the end of every month.

I have never said there is any wrong doing by anyone. I know all about the past. My main and only point is I do not see the value in being a paid member any more. I just don't see what I get for my money when I can attend everything as a non paying member.
The way I see it is paying the money unlocks the maintenance side to the site and to be honest I really don't need it that much these days as over the years I have learned so much about the car I really don't need the access to it any more and I was always very handy with the spanners and have worked out most things myself over the years.

- - - Updated - - -

If the subscription fee is too much for you to afford in one go we could look at easy payment options?
I understand that people are feeling the pinch with the financial climate being what it is.

Thank you for the offer, money has never been an issue for me. Everyone knows the money I have put into my car over the years. It is mainly to do with value of money, and right now I do not see any value in paying a fee to get nothing back from it but this is my personal view on the subject and not everyone will agree. many are happy to pay it to which I would say that is great and it is good to support the club. I to want to support the club and have done over many years in paying my subs but as of now I do not see what my money really gets me these days. Also my change of direction in my life rules me out of pretty much everything the club has to offer on the social side of things to which I can attend as a non paying member anyhow.

So if someone can come along and convince me as to why I should pay it and what I will get out of paying it then I am all ears and I will happily pay it once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.