• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Ideas to improve the Owners Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
It takes money and makes profit by selling a service so it is a business it just isn't run like one. Andy the point I was alluding to was that it was not a good idea to business wise to pay someone double their subscription fee to turn up with their partner for a Xmas meal, a subsidy is a good idea its the amount I would suggest wasnt

Due to the surplus built-up when our funds were inaccessible to us we felt we could be a bit more generous last Chrismas.
It appears we can't win either way but at least the subscribers that attended were happy with our decision.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Peter, it was me that deleted your comment. It wasn't poking fun, it was inflamatory and geared to provoke yet more arguments where there aren't any. If you'd like to discuss it further, please PM me.

I respectfully disagree Rich but if you feel the need remove comments without warning then that is your position.
I do have freedom of speech after all and I did not offend any individual apart from myself by poking fun at myself, that is the way I see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Due to the surplus built-up when our funds were inaccessible to us we felt we could be a bit more generous last Chrismas.
It appears we can't win either way but at least the subscribers that attended were happy with our decision.

Well they would all be Andy, but what about members of the club who can not attend these events ?

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
Yes it does now, what happens in 2-3 years from now when that service is no longer needed ?
This is my point, so what the club is saying is that is all good now and when it is to late the club dies ?

Are you saying there will be no more Cougars on the roads in 2-3 years time???

Well they would all be Andy, but what about members of the club who can not attend these events ?

All events are open to everyone Peter; we CANNOT dictate people's personal circumstances all we can TRY to do is make the experience as good as possible for those people who do turn-up.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Are you saying there will be no more Cougars on the roads in 2-3 years time???

We all know that these cars are dying quickly now Andy. Rot is killing them and most owners will not be putting any real effort into saving them due to the value & age of the car. So the need to unlock the maintenance side of the site will become obsolete, this is the only reason you need to pay to be a member of the club to anyone from the outside.
Can you see my point ?
Once this happens, then what do you have left ?

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
All events are open to everyone Peter; we CANNOT dictate people's personal circumstances all we can TRY to do is make the experience as good as possible for those people who do turn-up.

Yes that is true but you are catering to such a small proportion of the membership base. I really do not think anyone can see what I am saying here. I am trying to open your mind a little bit and think ahead for the benefit of this club and members going forward.
By remaining the way it is , you are killing the club in doing so as you are creating a club that only caters for a small number of people. That is what you are going to end up with here and it is already happening as many ex members have move on and do not come back, many members who I thought would stick around long after the car has gone have disappeared.

telboy

Well-known user
Mar 17, 2013
bozeat
This next comment is not aimed at you Peter, but I have read a lot of stuff over the last couple of days.

Lots from previous members, and some from people who feel they could do a better job.

I have not been round at all recently, much more important things to do, but if others feel they could do a better job, then I would welcome them putting up, and shutting up, rather than sitting on their soap boxes and pulling apart the good willed hard work of others.

Lots of armchair experts in the world.

This is type of comment that gets people's backs up (much more important things to do) and putting up and shutting up? Is this anyway to speak to forum members like myself and many others who have tried and in vain most of the time, because you are either shouted down or your thread blocked or removed or great ideas just totally ignored by most of the inner circle bods.

I think the time had come as Pete as said to get things changed we need more people who have the club interests at heart and who will work to get things to happen, so I for one would be more than happy to try and help from my soap box to help re build the club and listen to people's ideas not just shot them down.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Well if there aren't any Cougars, there obviously won't be any Cougar owners so we'll have to change the name to something else.

We all know this car is fast becoming a hardcore owners car, it is already happening. So why not open up the club to make it more attractive to people to keep them here ?
I bet you if the membership was £5 say for instance your active members list would be 5 times the size it is now.

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
£15 a year is not a lot of money when it can potentially save you hundreds in garage fees and not only in knowledge but in MFSMs as well when strangers come and fix your car for the price of a bacon sarnie.People then realize that for £15 you also get the some shows organised,subsidised do,s and make friends that can last forever. Also no advertising on the site that can take forever to load.
Admin are always asking for ideas on how the money can be spent and are always willing to fund good ideas, for those that dont attend shows, dont attend MFSMs and have enough knowledge to fix their own cars it probably isnt worth them paying as some state because they dont get anything back for it.
But in my own personal opinion it is worth every penny getting a years worth for the cost of a few pints

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Your contention appears to be that the club and events are geared towards Cougar owners. It's a Cougar owners' club.

Yes it is, think ahead before you do not have any "Cougar Owners " left Rich ?
You are going to get to the situation where you have only a hand full of hardcore owners, that day is pretty much here already.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
Yes that is true but you are catering to such a small proportion of the membership base. I really do not think anyone can see what I am saying here. I am trying to open your mind a little bit and think ahead for the benefit of this club and members going forward.
By remaining the way it is , you are killing the club in doing so as you are creating a club that only caters for a small number of people. That is what you are going to end up with here and it is already happening as many ex members have move on and do not come back, many members who I thought would stick around long after the car has gone have disappeared.

You started off this evening Peter by bemoaning the fact that even a Vauxhall owner was welcome at an event and now you are surprised that people who no longer own Cougars have disappeared. You can't have it both ways.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
£15 a year is not a lot of money when it can potentially save you hundreds in garage fees and not only in knowledge but in MFSMs as well when strangers come and fix your car for the price of a bacon sarnie.People then realize that for £15 you also get the some shows organised,subsidised do,s and make friends that can last forever. Also no advertising on the site that can take forever to load.
Admin are always asking for ideas on how the money can be spent and are always willing to fund good ideas, for those that dont attend shows, dont attend MFSMs and have enough knowledge to fix their own cars it probably isnt worth them paying as some state because they dont get anything back for it.
But in my own personal opinion it is worth every penny getting a years worth for the cost of a few pints

I am not disagreeing with any of this statement, you are correct. But what is going to happen when the day comes when the need for this ends ? and it will apart from the hardcore owners.
But this is right back to my point in value for money for someone like me, right now it is not. It is that simple. Now if the price was £5 for a whole year, I would pay it without even thinking about it, and so would many owners who come along for " that quick fix"
Can you see my point ?

telboy

Well-known user
Mar 17, 2013
bozeat
We all know this car is fast becoming a hardcore owners car, it is already happening. So why not open up the club to make it more attractive to people to keep them here ?
I bet you if the membership was £5 say for instance your active members list would be 5 times the size it is now.

Like the £5 idea to get more owners to stay about, and others points Pete is trying to make but is in all honesty getting the usal replys like this is the way we have always done it so let's just stay that way, listen up and let's all pull together to open the club up to as many people as possible that way things get better for all.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
You started off this evening Peter by bemoaning the fact that even a Vauxhall owner was welcome at an event and now you are surprised that people who no longer own Cougars have disappeared. You can't have it both ways.

You can Andy, people will not pay £15 to get nothing back for there money long after the car has gone. But if this was £5 you might find a lot of them might stick around as it is a great club to be involved with.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.

Potentially 600 members out of less than 3000 cars, that would make it probably the largest club in the country, percentage wise.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Like the £5 idea to get more owners to stay about, and others points Pete is trying to make but is in all honesty getting the usal replys like this is the way we have always done it so let's just stay that way, listen up and let's all pull together to open the club up to as many people as possible that way things get better for all.

Terry, I am really trying here my friend but I am finding it hard to get my points across. Even with my business brain working here I can not get the point across. It seems nobody is willing to look any further than today, when tomorrow is not that far away. If things do not change, the club will become a dinosaur........... and we all know what happened there.

Your contention appears to be that the club and events are geared towards Cougar owners. It's a Cougar owners' club.

I would suggest the club is more geared toward the friendships that were made here rather than getting new cougar owners involved, I disagree with Peter that the cost of subs is prohibitive but I do think there are changes that can be made to the way the club markets itself to new members

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Potentially 600 members out of less than 3000 cars, that would make it probably the largest club in the country, percentage wise.

Those 3000 cars left you say will need some kind of help in the next 2-3 years, even less given these cars are rotting now. SO if say those 600 people come along at £5 membership to fix there cars you would be doing very well. I bet next to none of that 600 would pay the £15 it is right now as I have seen what happens when they come into the forum, they ask a question, get pointed into the paid section of the club, ask how to gain access, get told, then disappear. You can not say this does not happen each and ever week. If it was £5 I bet most would pay to access the maintenance side of the site, and might even stick around after that.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest the club is more geared toward the friendships that were made here rather than getting new cougar owners involved, I disagree with Peter that the cost of subs is prohibitive but I do think there are changes that can be made to the way the club markets itself to new members

Can I ask why you do not pay for your membership please Paul ?
Just out of interest. Thanks.

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
You can Andy, people will not pay £15 to get nothing back for there money long after the car has gone. But if this was £5 you might find a lot of them might stick around as it is a great club to be involved with.
I quite recently joined the Audi forum, i posted in their newbie section with pics of the car - in the 3 months i have been there i have had 1 reply and that was admin saying welcome to the site, now i know that site is free but i have also joined other pay sites where the fee is nominal and there is no hardcore to them, because it is cheap they only use it as a library and dont tend to stick around they just pop in and out when they need something

Status
Not open for further replies.