• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Ideas to improve the Owners Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

telboy

Well-known user
Mar 17, 2013
bozeat
To all admin or mods this is what this club needs more of lively debate, with ideas and moans being listened to and if possible acted on and coming up with ideas not locking threads let people speak that why we move forward.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
I quite recently joined the Audi forum, i posted in their newbie section with pics of the car - in the 3 months i have been there i have had 1 reply and that was admin saying welcome to the site, now i know that site is free but i have also joined other pay sites where the fee is nominal and there is no hardcore to them, because it is cheap they only use it as a library and dont tend to stick around they just pop in and out when they need something

I am not disputing how friendly this club is Mike, quite the opposite. I am just trying to make the point about trying to make the club more attractive to Cougar owners and ex owners as well.
This club needs all the help it can get right now as it is slowly dying, if nobody can see that then what hope is there for the club if people are not willing to listen or change. It has to evolve, or it will die.

- - - Updated - - -

To all admin or mods this is what this club needs more of lively debate, with ideas and moans being listened to and if possible acted on and coming up with ideas not locking threads let people speak that why we move forward.

I fully agree with this Terry, I will say it is nice to have a good debate without any name calling and people getting angry when it is not needed. This is after all only healthy for the club.

telboy

Well-known user
Mar 17, 2013
bozeat
Yes but it would be nice if more forum users joined in, I know it's late now but I think a lot of people just sit on the fence as they will get hammered by the longer standing members, if they join in and suggest ideas we move forward and improve.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Yes but it would be nice if more forum users joined in, I know it's late now but I think a lot of people just sit on the fence as they will get hammered by the longer standing members, if they join in and suggest ideas we move forward and improve.

I agree with this Terry and I have seen it all before. You can be made to feel unwelcome if you ask for help when you first post up in the unpaid sections as members think people are trying to get something for nothing. I would like to think that has changed now though somewhat.

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
I am not disputing how friendly this club is Mike, quite the opposite. I am just trying to make the point about trying to make the club more attractive to Cougar owners and ex owners as well.
This club needs all the help it can get right now as it is slowly dying, if nobody can see that then what hope is there for the club if people are not willing to listen or change. It has to evolve, or it will die.

- - - Updated - - -

I fully agree with this Terry, I will say it is nice to have a good debate without any name calling and people getting angry when it is not needed. This is after all only healthy for the club.
I dont think anyone is not willing to move forward with good and sound ideas and all are willing to listen, but when fingers are pointed and things said in the heat of the moment it doesnt help get anything sorted.
Not all good ideas are good and not all bad ideas are bad if you see what i mean but i do agree that ideas should be brought forward and i am sure that if it helps the club then something would be done BUT it would have to be an idea that the majority of members thought helped the club

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
So are you saying only 10 people visited the site that were potentially new owners Andy ?
I would like to think that number would be much higher.

Go and look for yourself Peter.
Unfortunately that is how it is.
We can't make people come here, we aren't a physical entity with a captive audience, we have to rely on passing trade, on people actively seeking the site out because they have bought or are going to buy a Cougar. That is if they are computer savvy, have any interest in an online forum or an owners club, so many variables.

Everyone has to eat; very few have to drive a Cougar.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
I dont think anyone is not willing to move forward with good and sound ideas and all are willing to listen, but when fingers are pointed and things said in the heat of the moment it doesnt help get anything sorted.
Not all good ideas are good and not all bad ideas are bad if you see what i mean but i do agree that ideas should be brought forward and i am sure that if it helps the club then something would be done BUT it would have to be an idea that the majority of members thought helped the club

Mike, I do not believe I have pointed a finger at anyone here, I have also not lost my temper or made this debate heated in any way at all. I think I have conducted myself with dignity and respect for everyone who has posted up a reply even if I have not agreed with them on all points made.

- - - Updated - - -

Go and look for yourself Peter.
Unfortunately that is how it is.
We can't make people come here, we aren't a physical entity with a captive audience, we have to rely on passing trade, on people actively seeking the site out because they have bought or are going to buy a Cougar. That is if they are computer savvy, have any interest in an online forum or an owners club, so many variables.

Everyone has to eat; very few have to drive a Cougar.

I am not saying that you can make people come here, what I am trying to say is when they are here, hook them in, use the cheaper membership as bait, catch there interest and reel them in. Trust me, it works. I will give you an example.

I do this every-week in my business. I get family's of 4 walking into my restaurant because I am saying "kids eat free"
So now I have got 2 adults & 2 children. The adults pay £7.95 each, the kids would normally pay £5 each. I give away £10 on each family eating. The whole family eats for £15.90 but here is the thing, I then sell them starters, desserts, tea/coffee, and I am good at it, so before you know it I have managed to sell the whole table say desserts @ £3.50 each. So I gained £14.00 on a table of 4. I gave away actual food costs of under £1 each child because they eat next to nothing.

Can you see my point now. By lowering the price of membership to £5 you are making it attractive to pretty much anyone who crosses this site in the future. Nobody will bat an eyelid at £5 for a whole year, £15 is a little bit different.

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
Mike, I do not believe I have pointed a finger at anyone here, I have also not lost my temper or made this debate heated in any way at all. I think I have conducted myself with dignity and respect for everyone who has posted up a reply even if I have not agreed with them on all points made.
Peter i am (as i always do) talking in general as i am sure you will agree that many a discussion on this site has ended in a slanging match because some wont listen , or agree to disagree.
But i must admit tonights discussion has been good

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
Peter i am (as i always do) talking in general as i am sure you will agree that many a discussion on this site has ended in a slanging match because some wont listen , or agree to disagree.
But i must admit tonights discussion has been good

I do agree that has happened way to much in the past. I can see tonight has been totally different and that is also very welcoming indeed. A move forward for sure.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
So @£5.00, in the last 6 months we would have had the chance to increase our potential income by £50.00.

We actually increased it by £75.00 because 5 out of the 10 subscribed.

charliecd001

Honorary Member
Club Member
Sep 10, 2007
Bolton

- - - Updated - - -

I am not saying that you can make people come here, what I am trying to say is when they are here, hook them in, use the cheaper membership as bait, catch there interest and reel them in. Trust me, it works. I will give you an example.

I do this every-week in my business. I get family's of 4 walking into my restaurant because I am saying "kids eat free"
So now I have got 2 adults & 2 children. The adults pay £7.95 each, the kids would normally pay £5 each. I give away £10 on each family eating. The whole family eats for £15.90 but here is the thing, I then sell them starters, desserts, tea/coffee, and I am good at it, so before you know it I have managed to sell the whole table say desserts @ £3.50 each. So I gained £14.00 on a table of 4. I gave away actual food costs of under £1 each child because they eat next to nothing.

Can you see my point now. By lowering the price of membership to £5 you are making it attractive to pretty much anyone who crosses this site in the future. Nobody will bat an eyelid at £5 for a whole year, £15 is a little bit different.

It is a car club not a carvery!.

And by the way Toby only charge £5.99 for this

Last edited:

Everton

Club Member
Oct 10, 2009
Coming Soon....
Interesting debate. Before I start - none of this is aimed at anyone, just an honest opinion from the "outside" from a ex-Cougar owner.

Looking in from the outside I fail to see where this massive influx of new members is going to come from? The Cougar was an unloved Ford from birth - it was then, it is now. Outside our group of Cougar enthusiasts, it's a cheap runabout. Of the 3000 or so left, most will be rotting away (as they were bought to be used as cheap runabouts). Of those outside the group - how many do you think will be willing to invest the large sums of money on what is a cheap car to save them? I would guess very few.

Sure, you will get a few new enthusiasts involved in the club, but this talk of big increases in numbers is a total pipe dream. Sorry, but wake up and smell the coffee. I see a similar pattern on the RX8 club - with lots being bought because they are cheap as chips. Unfortunately, they are being bought blindly with expensive issues to be resolved - and being parted out.

In the great scheme of things, £15 a year is sod all. Yes, it's a close group of friends at the core - what else would it be? A group of committee members who have no personal interest in eachother? Yes there are more and more non-Cougar owners subscribing and attending events - see above regarding "cheap runabout". This is the reality, painful as it is to hear.

elipton

Club Member
Jul 9, 2014
Suffolk/Essex Border
I check in quite often, and although I saw some threads lighting up like blue spruce, I didn't enter to see the discussion, but I get the jist of people's concerns and questions. I'm a little anxious to have a say on this matter, since I still consider myself reasonably new here. But, alas, I'm a subscribed member and I've seen a few topics that have peaked my interested.

Old cars dying out is the nature of the beast. It's a matter that will chip away at this forum for years to come, and any solutions will draw out the forum. Nothing sustainable comes to mind, certainly not a £5 subscription fee. Lowering the price won't increase demand because the traffic coming in is minimal anyway. If the car was still in production, this site could run as a business, thriving off of the constantly new traffic coming in. If there were plenty of cars still around after production has ended, it can run as a sustainable owners club. We're seeing the decline of the Cougar from the roads and naturally, this club has become more of a community. The fact we're talking about how to encourage ex-owners or ex-members to stay is acknowledgement of that.

Getting ex-owners to pay a full subscription does strike me as silly. They won't have a use for all of the services owners rely on, like the sales section, but they'll still want to see events and chatter. Being mindful of that, perhaps a new 'Veterans' user group can be created whereby they can be involved in events and offering advice. There’s a good argument for making that a £5 fee, but it would have to be a case of being applied for so that new members don’t think they’re getting in for cheap.

Being a member, I've won a competition; I was rewarded, and put that back into the club. I was elated at being involved, having my car on a calendar and being able to continue my membership here. I've learnt a wealth of information, met plenty of great people, and got an Xmas dinner out the fee. What's more, I've saved hundreds on garage fees so far thanks to their willingness to help, advise and even travel and get hands-on. However, I know that not all of that is relevant to everyone and they'll be looking for other advantages for their money.

The talk of business models and a shop are nice ideas, but I struggle to see how it can work. The issue is, there are so few Cougar's or owners left, having a shop selling, say, pens would instantly lose money. To have 100 pens printed, you're looking at £80-odd quid and that's a minimum run. These merch places don't do batches of 20 (or whatever this club would require) and I know that as fact having worked for a company doing that kind of thing. We wouldn't shift 100 pens, or 100 mugs or 50 T-shirts or anything like that, even though I've suggested it in the past.

If people are making a serious move to invest in buying a Cougar and keeping it running, they won’t be bothered about a £10 difference in fees if it gains them access to the breadth of information on here.
As Peter has encouraged, I’m trying to think of ideas to make the club more worth the money, but like Peter, I’m not feeling too inspired.

I suppose one idea I might have are localised scenic drives. If the club could become a hub for people to arrange meets and drives, regardless the car; that would be cool. We have a few members up in Scotland – that has lovely roads and cheap bunk houses. Some members around Lardarse in Worcester, so there are Northern Wales routes perhaps…
Another idea could be photoshoots? Aside from the photos taken at meets or events, we could arrange for our cars to be in professional shoots, or a member take a camera out and take photos whilst out on the road.
The club is quite polarized from Facebook. We have a page, but it’s not exactly used. A group might be an outlet for people owners who aren’t looking for the club to discover us. It’d have to be active though, so pictures-a-plenty would keep it looking lively instead of giving away information or aspects that make the site worth the money. Although, in honesty, just having the traffic would be better than the subscriptions at this stage.

I’m overtired now, so this idea is dumb, but what about a charity car? A car that is used for charity events and rallies that promote the club and to some extent is funded by companies for sponsorship. It can be a restored perfect Cougar, or a liveried piece of rubbish.. It wouldn’t so much be something that brings people in, but it’d be good to have a project everyone can contribute to, since often there are breakers or parts going for the sum of its postage. Obviously it’d have to be kept somewhere, but it could be an excuse for an MFSM when things get quiet and a chance for us to meet up. Of course, insurance and tax would be the massive question mark around it, but a car to mascot the club certainly excites me. It’s another specimen to keep alive too.

Food for thought, maybe. I’m not aligning myself in any which way with this discussion. I’m happy being a member and an owner, but we can all agree that keeping people here and bringing people here benefits everyone and prolongs the club.

charliecd001

Honorary Member
Club Member
Sep 10, 2007
Bolton
some think it should business but my self it should be co-operative. But I have been thinking out of the box!!!!!!!

scunnycougar

Well-known user
Jun 3, 2009
Sunny Scunny
This is type of comment that gets people's backs up (much more important things to do) and putting up and shutting up? Is this anyway to speak to forum members like myself and many others who have tried and in vain most of the time, because you are either shouted down or your thread blocked or removed or great ideas just totally ignored by most of the inner circle bods.

I think the time had come as Pete as said to get things changed we need more people who have the club interests at heart and who will work to get things to happen, so I for one would be more than happy to try and help from my soap box to help re build the club and listen to people's ideas not just shot them down.

I am sorry recovering from a stroke, trying to build a business and provide care to a 90 year old grand parent has been more important to me Terry. My point was there are more important things than arguing about the same stuff over and over again. But then some people don't have anything more important to do, which is fair enough.

I do not have to justify, my personal circumstances.

This subject has been raised so many times, with the same arguments. It's boring.

People want 'better value for money' - why not come up with realistic solutions, rather than perceived problems.

As John said, in the grand scheme of things, just over £1 per month is hardly earth shattering now is it?

If you have the time, spare cash, storage, contacts, to start off a club shop, and take care of the logistics and running of that, then feel free to put a proposal to the club.

telboy

Well-known user
Mar 17, 2013
bozeat
- - - Updated - - -

I am sorry to hear about your personal problems and of course wish you a speedy recovery and no only to well your problems, it's tough coming back from a live changing event like that.

But what I am saying and once again from your post it's no good saying I heard it all before and nothing will change etc etc and I have in the past offered many ideas but they just get lost in the wind but with all that said as my posts of late have shown a least I am trying to get 2016 a great year for the cougar and I for one am looking forward to fest both UK and Germany and other events.

funwoody

Well-known user
Feb 24, 2015
Darlington
I must admit I haven't read every post on this thread, but one obvious thought keeps coming up.

Why not have a two tier membership.
Full and part. £15.00 and £5.00
The part membership allowing fleeting bods with a Cougar or parts to sell the opportunity to advertise, but still be restricted from the full body forum, same as a casual user.
This raises awareness, allows you folks more choice to buy what's out there at a realistic price.
It also gets over the advertising restrictions by making it a 'membership'.
It generates a little revenue, and you could then offer upgrades for an extra £10.00.
Obviously a part member doesn't get a sticker or all other benefits of the full forum expertise and info which for a full owner is invaluable.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

Macmondy3L

Forum user
Mar 3, 2014
Cheshire
Although I'm not a actual owner of a Cougar..not yet anyway...I don't mind paying to be a member on this forum...I think it's a pretty cool site and I do love the look of the Cougar...never driven one though I did own a V6 mk2 Mondeo a few years back...now got a 3.0 V6 mk3...
Hope I don't get too much stick before I end up with my own cat.

Sent from my Z220 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.