It's had a good inning

Legin1976

Forum user
Aug 29, 2021
Cardiff
After getting my Cougar in 2006, it seems that it's getting to the end of its life. :cry: I just took it in with a problem with my brake and it needs a new calliper and hose as the old one is leaking. But its MOT is due in December and it going to fail on so many things that it's not going to be viable to fix. I only just had new shocks put on at the back too.

It's only just gone over 100k and as far as I can tell the engine is in great shape, but corrosion doesn't wait for you to do the milage and there are quite a few issues that have reared their heads. They said that it's about £1000 worth of work that needs doing.

I'm getting the brakes sorted to keep me going for the next couple of months and until I can sort out a new car but then that's it.

Not got as it was just in for them to look at the front brake so not had a proper inspection, just stuff they noticed when looking at the issue, so not got a full list but all brake pads and discs. From memory, there is some rust underneath the back. It needs a new arm of some kind, the back, it needs a new steering hose. It also has the gear cable spacer issue, although they managed to do something to reduce that last time I took it in. I think the engine is in really good shape. It all seems to be going wrong at the same time though.

So just come back and it's not quite as bad as I thought but still has a couple of bits of rust that need sorting, nothing major but needed for the mot. Then needs a new rear sub frame, new steering hose and new pads and discs all round. I got them to replace the leaking brake pipe and calliper, but one of the front pads is urgent.

I'm told that if I do once side then I should do the other, but then if I change the discs later then I'll need to change the pads again due to the wear that the old discs will do to them. The engine is in really good condition though, even the air con still works (no smell) and has never had a refill.

Reactions: dandamano and LLC02
The cougar must be the only car I've ever had where I've never had an issue with the AC , ford did well on that one :)

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a rear subframe they are very rare ...Good second hand one that you give some TLC will be your best bet.

As for the front brakes it's not you should do the other side too it's you 𝗺𝘂𝘀𝘁 do the other side..

Bargin here for some front disks and pads £31 for the lot!

Reactions: David` and mabo
Thanks.. I can't find any sub frames at the moment, but I don't want to keep throwing money at it. I may get the brakes, so that I can use it long enough to get a new car. :(

Looking at an RCZ as other than the TT there are no other comparable coupes.