Just been to Mansfield... seat wiring conversion

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
...and now I have a beautiful full leather C1 interior installed. As promised, it's absolutely immaculate and I couldn't be happier. We had perfect weather for the install too.

We had a bit of head-scratching over the cabling - for some reason my C1 has C2 loom installed! o_O Probably because it's a very late one. But we worked it all out in both directions (he temporarily has my cloth front seats installed) with no bother at all. I put this down to the fact I shed knuckle-blood to appease the modding gods. No job's complete unless someone bleeds.

Many thanks to Alan (and Vonnie) for a great day - two of the kindest, most generous people you'd hope to meet. Bacon barms and strong tea a-plenty, and it was great fun getting stuck in to a proper job again.

One last thing; if you're one of the few people who hasn't seen Alan's car in the flesh, it really is a sight to behold. Very handsome motor.

Cheers Alan and Vonnie! Hope to see you again soon.

I was over at alans the other week and I couldn't believe how clean his car was! Perfect show room condition down to the finest detail! And his tea making skills are rather high too :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly, Alan's motor is running around with my old cloth front seats at the moment, and the left one is badly stained from a past leak in the door seal. But judging by the door cards and rear seats he installed today, it's gonna be glorious when he sorts out the fronts.

The LED mods he's put in have given me some real food for thought too - I was especially taken with the door handle courtesy lights.

He's got some other mods coming up but I won't give the game away. So I'll just agree with Kully and say yes, today was UKC at its best and I am so glad to put faces to names.

BTW, if you're reading this Alan, there was a medikit in the rear pocket of your passenger seat. I put it in your boot. Forgot to mention it at the time.

I was over at alans the other week and I couldn't believe how clean his car was! Perfect show room condition down to the finest detail! And his tea making skills are rather high too :)

Cannot agree with you more when I picked up my Wheels From Alan's,.......LOVERRRRRLY MOTOR .....Vonney makes a lovely Cuppa Coffee as well

Well, high praise indeed. Thanks Chris, it was a very pleasant day all round, plenty of spannering and chat with a top bloke. I noticed the medikit when i was tooling up, and just wondered where it had come from, completely forgot it had been in the seat pocket.
Mutual big benefits from todays meet with Chris is the fact that we sorted the wiring conversion for the seats which i will write into a photo-howto as i fit my replacement fronts.
Thanks for the praise of the clean condition of my car, although today it was slightly less than sparkling .
I am currently dosed up with cocodamols, my back is now giving me jip :LOL:
Great day spent in the company of a thoroughly nice guy. (y)

Well, high praise indeed. Thanks Chris, it was a very pleasant day all round, plenty of spannering and chat with a top bloke. I noticed the medikit when i was tooling up, and just wondered where it had come from, completely forgot it had been in the seat pocket.
Mutual big benefits from todays meet with Chris is the fact that we sorted the wiring conversion for the seats which i will write into a photo-howto as i fit my replacement fronts.
Thanks for the praise of the clean condition of my car, although today it was slightly less than sparkling .
I am currently dosed up with cocodamols, my back is now giving me jip :LOL:
Great day spent in the company of a thoroughly nice guy. (y)

Not at all - you made this Cougar newbie feel really welcome. Can't tell you how much that's appreciated. Money might've changed hands, but clicking "Thanks" doesn't quite seem enough.

As I said, please let me know if you need any help with the how-to. I can provide pics of mine if need be, since I need to tip the seats back anyway (I've got the 5x flash and 2-second pause from the airbag light. Driver's side, right?).

As for the dirt splashes on your car, we would have got away with that if you hadn't said anything!

Very sad to hear your back's still playing up - I saw you jar it and I did my best to stop you doing any more heavy lifting. So sorry you did that working on my car. :(

Chris what was the seat plug set-up with your C1? Two plugs on the loom and one incorporated in the seat base?

Mine was:
1 x grey 6-way plug with only 5 pins (I believe pin 5 was missing, which I think is the heated seat positive).
1 x yellow 2-way SRS plug.
1 x green 2-way plug on the seat that appeared to be some sort of loopback on my car - there was no corresponding green plug in the car's loom, though there was on Alan's car.

Actually, you might be able to help here. I haven't got the pinouts in front of me so I can't give you specifics, but it looks to me as though - on the driver's side - there is a common neutral (black), motor positive, (yellow and orange), seatbelt sensor (red and black), and on Alan's, seat heat power (blue), which my loom had no connection for but probably would've been on the missing pin, (#5).

On my car and seat there were also two further red and black wires which the guide said to isolate and ignore. Think they were pins 3 and 6. No idea what they do but the seat functions perfectly in Alan's car with the 4-pin loom. Maybe a pressure sensor to determine whether someone's actually in the seat...?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing as I'm going from my alcohol-addled memory. But Alan's going to do a guide and I have plenty of pictures to back it up.

Thanks, I think you've confirmed my findings on this.
On earlier models there were three plugs on the loom; grey, yellow and green with three matching sockets on the seat.
In later models it seems as though they have incorporated the wires from the grey and green plugs into just the grey plug on the loom and then taken the 'green' wires from the grey socket on the seat back into the green plug and socket which is now completely part of/fixed on the seat.

Not at all - you made this Cougar newbie feel really welcome. Can't tell you how much that's appreciated. Money might've changed hands, but clicking "Thanks" doesn't quite seem enough.

As I said, please let me know if you need any help with the how-to. I can provide pics of mine if need be, since I need to tip the seats back anyway (I've got the 5x flash and 2-second pause from the airbag light. Driver's side, right?).

As for the dirt splashes on your car, we would have got away with that if you hadn't said anything!

Very sad to hear your back's still playing up - I saw you jar it and I did my best to stop you doing any more heavy lifting. So sorry you did that working on my car. :(

I did notice i now have the seatbelt warning light flashing on the dash (the yellow one on the left) as well as the usual red one on the right, didn't count but i guess it's about five then stops and goes out

This is the conversion we did. The original doc i found on the net, might have been NECO but i can't remember. I've edited some parts not applicable but the relevent content is complete.

Blue and red text has been added by me from Chris's handwritten text that we added as we found it.

seatconversion.jpg

Excellent - I think that between us and Quicksilver, we've got it mapped out.

Also: I've repped you Quicksilver, for the explanation of the green plug. Still no idea what it's actually for, but it's answered why the circuit is the way it is. (y)

Edited to add: Apparently 5 flashes followed by a pause is the steering wheel airbag. No idea why that's playing up as nether of us did anything to the wheel. Probably just chance. I'll disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour and see if the light goes out - maybe I jarred the thing when I put the driver's seat in? Failing that, well, my next MOT isn't until March... ;)

I did notice i now have the seatbelt warning light flashing on the dash (the yellow one on the left) as well as the usual red one on the right, didn't count but i guess it's about five then stops and goes out

Update on this today. The light does not stop, it carries on flashing/pausing so i'm guessing we have to rethink the seatbelt connections

Excellent - I think that between us and Quicksilver, we've got it mapped out.

Also: I've repped you Quicksilver, for the explanation of the green plug. Still no idea what it's actually for, but it's answered why the circuit is the way it is. (y)

Edited to add: Apparently 5 flashes followed by a pause is the steering wheel airbag. No idea why that's playing up as nether of us did anything to the wheel. Probably just chance. I'll disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour and see if the light goes out - maybe I jarred the thing when I put the driver's seat in? Failing that, well, my next MOT isn't until March... ;)

If the grey plug is for the electric adjustments and the yellow is for the airbag the green must be for the heating? Having looked at the wiring diagrams on TIS I'm thinking the looms are the same for right and left hand drive applications but the electric adjustment functions are used only on the drivers seat in each case.

See posts in Als thread regarding wiring, the diagram above only works on yank cars as most dont have seat airbags, seat looms will need to be swapped to get full functions

ps car looms changed over around march 99 IIRC so no C1 C2 just early and late