Review: 5/5 lazy mans electrical joints.

shirtyzeus

Club Member
Aug 29, 2013
eaton socon
so.. fed up with soldering under the dash and then realising i haven't put the heatshrink wrap on the cable so i thought id try these..

brought them on the company credit card as didn't think they'd be that great...i was wrong.
they are basically high temp heat shrink with 2 rings of glue and low temp solder in them ..
the solder melts at they say around 135c altho they worked better at 180c
what i love about them is they are waterproof , the rings are the glue and seal the cable ,i cant pull em apart.

i used a small gas powered heat gun which did the job great..
quite impressed with em to be honest...
cant mark em down. ,brilliant.

their available on amazon and ebay in various quantity boxes.
altho i got the gas torch from amazon.20210908_082136.jpg20210909_154631.jpg

I've been using these for some time now and Paul is correct. Very good and very easy to use even if you can't solder. Just stick the two bared ends in the tube and heat the tube, preferably with a mini blow/heat lamp.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
I have a feeling Chris ( Mako ) mentioned these a while back, but I haven't tried them yet. I probably should. I think I would still be inclined to tin the ends of the wires before using these. That would ensure that the solder whets properly to the wire.

There are two forms of tin :- Tin - Wikipedia

The easily soldered and shiny, new form, changes slowly into the difficult to solder grey form at a few degrees C. So with cars living outside in the cold in this country, wires get harder to solder with cold and time. It also affects model railway and scalextric track if left in a shed or loft...

Reactions: shirtyzeus
I have a feeling Chris ( Mako ) mentioned these a while back, but I haven't tried them yet. I probably should. I think I would still be inclined to tin the ends of the wires before using these. That would ensure that the solder whets properly to the wire.

There are two forms of tin :- Tin - Wikipedia

The easily soldered and shiny, new form, changes slowly into the difficult to solder grey form at a few degrees C. So with cars living outside in the cold in this country, wires get harder to solder with cold and time. It also affects model railway and scalextric track if left in a shed or loft...
yes i thought this too about tinning the wires first however there was a problem.
the solder i had tined with would simply not melt and so the connector solder couldn't saturate it when it melted...suppose the wires ur tinning would need low temp solder too..
altho i did a stress test on the joints and tbh it withstood far more tugging than the good ol crush type, i also like that water cant get in.

Reactions: Foobar
Thanks for your review Paul. (y)

I think it was Norman, nvingo, who first mentioned these a while back.
I've used them quite a bit now and find them very easy to get on with especially as they seem to have been manufactured so one end of the tubing is of a slightly greater diameter than the other. This allows the wider end to slide over the two lots of exposed wires a little easier.

Thanks for your review Paul. (y)

I think it was Norman, nvingo, who first mentioned these a while back.
I've used them quite a bit now and find them very easy to get on with especially as they seem to have been manufactured so one end of the tubing is of a slightly greater diameter than the other. This allows the wider end to slide over the two lots of exposed wires a little easier.
yea i love em.
gonna do a test at work to see how much current they can take.. we'll see how the yellow ones handle 3ph at 16amps ,wouldn't push them any harder than that tho...

Reactions: Foobar
It was indeed me, though it was Andy that suggested them. Wildcat is rocking a couple of them under her driver's seat, and a couple for my nearside boot light conversion.

Very handy but a little blowtoch (with shield) is a must. Needs some finesse because it's not difficult to burn through the plastic sheath if you hesitate.

As for current, I always assumed it would take whatever the guage of wire could handle, assuming you install it with the wires touching?

9xtAFmY.jpg

I'm sure I have several full rolls of Low Melting Point ( LMP ) solder. Due to having been moved around over the years, the labels on the end of the spools have fallen off. When the missus is out, I'll heat some samples on the the ceramic hob next to a thermocouple ! That's my favourite, bulk, surface mount desolder technique, with tweezers of course... Ssshhh...

• Haha
Reactions: mabo