• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Manufacture of Sill Sections

Pid_16V

Admin (Uncle Al)
Club Admin
Nov 20, 2006
Mansfield (Robin Hood Country)
had an email from Andy this morning, he sais Ford will not release the cad drawings. It is suggested that seeking legal advice on getting replacement panels created from scrap donors is sought prior to anything being manufactured.

I am not certain where to go from here, maybe if the Admin team could join forces with other cougar owners clubs worldwide and collectively campaign Ford it may hold a little more weight than little me asking (y)

Again Paul. Thanks for all your efforts with this. I have to revert to my earlier post though, and my own experience with ford copyright protection. They won't give anything at all, not even license to print stickers unless you pay them 5k per annum for the privelidge.
I don't see however how they could block slightly modified panels from being produced if we had the means?

it wasn't just the sills, they are easy to do with patches, rear subframes however and suspension arms, fuel filler pipes etc are a different matter, atleast in my mind as I did contact several companies local to me with the view to getting parts made up who said they wouldn't attempt it, although if someone wants to post up and say they can get them made I will be interested (y)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we could get some kind of collective email written up and all sign it somehow?:)

Either that or I'll camp out on their doorstep and look pleadingly at everyone who walks in:love:
As I suggested mate, I think the only way Ford are likely to even contemplate assisting would be if all the cougar owners clubs throughout the world joined together to collectively make the request, that would, in my opinion give greater notability to the request as opposed to just one person, even my awesomeness is not enough on its own when it comes to big multinational companies (y)

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
You have to remember, we are all small fry here. Even joined up as one, Ford being a massive global powerhouse do not have to do anything here at all. It seems they would rather let the car just die and forget about it.
Kudos to Paul and his efforts in trying all this but you are swimming upstream here against a tidal wave.
Such a shame, because these are the things that are going to kill this car off and are already doing so. Within the next 2-3 years most Cougars will have rotten sills, subframes, brake lines, fuel filler necks unless treated. Most cars left will be untreated examples. The car will just disappear from our roads. and it is already happening. How many MK1 Mondeos do you now see out there, not many at all.

backseateducation

Events Co-Ordinator
Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
In this month's 'Modern Classics' (the one with the Cougar in), there is an article on how different car clubs have gone about similar things, with the difficulties and successes they have had along the way. There are some manufacturers who seem more helpful than others,but for example Corrado owners have resorted to having headlight switches made in China. I can't see that this is an insurmountable problem (if it was, you wouldn't be able to get repair panels for anything), it's just going to take some perseverence and time. We either band together and battle on, or we might as well chuck the towel in now, and I for one am not going to do that.

mjp100drums

Club Member
Sep 2, 2014
tamworth, staffs
Left and Right rocker panels

Found these codes which relate to the replacement sill(rockers) sections. They send you to American sites where these parts maybe still available. OEM Autoparts .com and Surplus Stock Worldwide are two sites.
Codes are 1s8z6310128aa and 1s8z6310129aa I don't know if its of any relevance , but maybe....:geek:

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
Found these codes which relate to the replacement sill(rockers) sections. They send you to American sites where these parts maybe still available. OEM Autoparts .com and Surplus Stock Worldwide are two sites.
Codes are 1s8z6310128aa and 1s8z6310129aa I don't know if its of any relevance , but maybe....:geek:

Moved from General Info.

shirtyzeus

Club Member
Aug 29, 2013
eaton socon
You have to remember, we are all small fry here. Even joined up as one, Ford being a massive global powerhouse do not have to do anything here at all. It seems they would rather let the car just die and forget about it.
Kudos to Paul and his efforts in trying all this but you are swimming upstream here against a tidal wave.
Such a shame, because these are the things that are going to kill this car off and are already doing so. Within the next 2-3 years most Cougars will have rotten sills, subframes, brake lines, fuel filler necks unless treated. Most cars left will be untreated examples. The car will just disappear from our roads. and it is already happening. How many MK1 Mondeos do you now see out there, not many at all.

ah yes but mondeo's are not as unique or unknown as a cougar..
everyone knows what a mondeo is and yet you have always been able to get sill's for them and because of there popularity and the fact you can still get a new mondeo is why most arnt interested in saving them..and i think its a shame.
the coog is unique..it makes people look and wonder what it is...ive had loads of people try to buy one.
there was quite recently no way to buy wishbones unless they were oem's. now pattern parts are starting to show up..
this didnt happen to just the coug ether..ford wouldn't release the rights for anything for the scorpio until they were certain it was a dead car...now patten parts are showing up everywhere..including sills which could not be purchased 2 years ago..and those who kept the scorpio are now finding it easy to get panel parts for..christ! even wheel arches are being made for them now and ive seen a dozen get scrapped because of wheel arches..
we must hang on ,they will soon be able to be produced once the panel presses realise ford isn't watching them.
i say to all people wanting to buy a cougar ,are you prepared for the extra cost and tlc thats needed with a 15 year old car..and if they say no just want a cheap car mate i normally put them onto something else.
saying it will be a dead car in 2/3 years is unfair and quite insulting to the many who work hard to keep cougs going..matts one of these people..his car needs some serious tlc on the sills and has given him grief that would make most give up but is he giving up...no..why..because he love's it...

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
ah yes but mondeo's are not as unique or unknown as a cougar..
everyone knows what a mondeo is and yet you have always been able to get sill's for them and because of there popularity and the fact you can still get a new mondeo is why most arnt interested in saving them..and i think its a shame.
the coog is unique..it makes people look and wonder what it is...ive had loads of people try to buy one.
there was quite recently no way to buy wishbones unless they were oem's. now pattern parts are starting to show up..
this didnt happen to just the coug ether..ford wouldn't release the rights for anything for the scorpio until they were certain it was a dead car...now patten parts are showing up everywhere..including sills which could not be purchased 2 years ago..and those who kept the scorpio are now finding it easy to get panel parts for..christ! even wheel arches are being made for them now and ive seen a dozen get scrapped because of wheel arches..
we must hang on ,they will soon be able to be produced once the panel presses realise ford isn't watching them.
i say to all people wanting to buy a cougar ,are you prepared for the extra cost and tlc thats needed with a 15 year old car..and if they say no just want a cheap car mate i normally put them onto something else.
saying it will be a dead car in 2/3 years is unfair and quite insulting to the many who work hard to keep cougs going..matts one of these people..his car needs some serious tlc on the sills and has given him grief that would make most give up but is he giving up...no..why..because he love's it...

All I am saying is the car will become a hardcore owners car in the very near future as most will be dead because of rot. I myself have worked hard to keep my car in the condition it is and have more than likely spent more money on it than any other member of this club has on there own car. My goal was 10 years ownership. I am now up to 7 years but it is now crossing my mind to consider letting it go. I really do hope patterned parts will become available as I would love nothing more than to see this car continue to survive.

I have over the past 12 years of ownership spent enough to have bought 2 cougars at the 1999 retail price :LOL: there is no longer a job on the V6 that I have not personally done in either maintenance or repair/replace and I am now collecting specific parts that are currently difficult or expensive to get hold of so that I can keep mine and Gemma's Cougars roadworthy for many years to come. Gemma's Cougar is going for MOT tomorrow, I have done a fair bit of work on it including having the sill welded, I am hoping it will pass but I know the rear subframe will need changing soon, I just hope it is good enough for now, I have a spare subframe which I am getting ready so all is good (y)

I have been around on this forum for quite a while now and have had my ups and downs with the club, have made some staunch friends and have no doubt upset quite a few people. The club seems to have found a new lease of enthusiasm and although some of the fixes make me cringe when I read them I guess its the change in demographic of ownership showing through. This is not a bad thing per se and has kept a few cougars on the road which otherwise may have been disposed of. I think it is now a case of you either love the way the car makes you feel when your driving it and will do what ever you can to keep it going, or your ownership has run its course and your just waiting for an excuse to move on.

F7OUD

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Barry, South Wales.
I have over the past 12 years of ownership spent enough to have bought 2 cougars at the 1999 retail price :LOL: there is no longer a job on the V6 that I have not personally done in either maintenance or repair/replace and I am now collecting specific parts that are currently difficult or expensive to get hold of so that I can keep mine and Gemma's Cougars roadworthy for many years to come. Gemma's Cougar is going for MOT tomorrow, I have done a fair bit of work on it including having the sill welded, I am hoping it will pass but I know the rear subframe will need changing soon, I just hope it is good enough for now, I have a spare subframe which I am getting ready so all is good (y)

I have been around on this forum for quite a while now and have had my ups and downs with the club, have made some staunch friends and have no doubt upset quite a few people. The club seems to have found a new lease of enthusiasm and although some of the fixes make me cringe when I read them I guess its the change in demographic of ownership showing through. This is not a bad thing per se and has kept a few cougars on the road which otherwise may have been disposed of. I think it is now a case of you either love the way the car makes you feel when your driving it and will do what ever you can to keep it going, or your ownership has run its course and your just waiting for an excuse to move on.

I agree with what you are saying totally but the car will become a hardcore owners car from now on in. They are getting less and less every year, soon you will be down to under a 1000 or less on the roads and that figure is very fast approaching. Even long standing members here have jumped ship over the last 12 months and moved onto another car for what ever reasons but unless you are prepared to plough serious money into the car then most will end up in scrap yards for sure. Nothing lasts forever.

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
I agree with what you are saying totally but the car will become a hardcore owners car from now on in. They are getting less and less every year, soon you will be down to under a 1000 or less on the roads and that figure is very fast approaching.

Got to be honest here. Why would that be a problem?

Even long standing members here have jumped ship over the last 12 months and moved onto another car for what ever reasons

Yep, totally. Some are driving other cars. But we've got people that now own (to them) a new car. Some people are running a second-hand Cougar. Some people like Manos are keeping an original going! Can you inagine?

but unless you are prepared to plough serious money into the car then most will end up in scrap yards for sure. Nothing lasts forever.

Of course nothing lasts forever if we don't care. But we do. It's not "serious money". It's our love for the car. We have welders. We have detailers.

I can't understand why you would be so negative when we can be so positive.

backseateducation

Events Co-Ordinator
Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
If we can all stay postitive there is no limit to what we can do. I could just compund my misery by scrapping the car, but if Paul can repair it (and I'm sure he can) then why not carry on. Despite it's non-sentience, I feel I have to be loyal to the old thing - after all it has been so to me. Yes there will always be changes of ownership, but that is true whatever car you buy.

FlamencoAssassin

Well-known user
Sep 9, 2004
Cambridgeshire
Some people like Manos are keeping an original going!
Mine is far from original. It has a lot of original parts, just not original to the Cougar but they could have been if they had released a higher performance model. Lol

I intend to keep mine going as long as possible and it could be argued that I have spent the most in my 17 years of ownership. However I could have spent more on buying newer cars during that time. E.g. my brother has just bought a 45K Audi which will cost him a lot more with the HP and main dealer maintenance and that's the 6th car he bought in the last 17 years.
In comparison, the Cougar makes financial sense as long as it's well maintained.

It's nuts like us that will keep these cars running. Everything is fixable, with or without ready made body parts.
Some of mine has already been refabricated.

Pid_16V

Admin (Uncle Al)
Club Admin
Nov 20, 2006
Mansfield (Robin Hood Country)
Mine's a Doppleganger retro :eek: but don't let that put anybody off :).
Apart from all of that, we should concentrate on this topic, afterall, a lot of effort has so far been put in by some serious cougar owners. HIT or MISS, the appreciation society has to keep on trying. :beer:

UKCCAS ;)

willeaper

Club Member
Mar 24, 2014
UK
Hi Paul (and everyone),
I've been 'offline' for a while, so just catching up on all this.....
Am I reading the above correctly, i.e. the parts listed at fordparts.com are all available (at a price) from USA? This refers to Paul's earlier post

Hi Paul (and everyone),
I've been 'offline' for a while, so just catching up on all this.....
Am I reading the above correctly, i.e. the parts listed at fordparts.com are all available (at a price) from USA? This refers to Paul's earlier post
Apparently they are available, I am sceptical though as we have already discovered that the outer sill is made up of a piece that forms the rear quarter and a piece that forms the A Pillar, this suggests to me that an actual outer sill is not a part that was ever manufactured

willeaper

Club Member
Mar 24, 2014
UK
If we can find what we want, I am willing to consider financing buying original parts/getting spares made up.
You have put some much good work into this let's keep going.
Let me know what you think is the best way forward, in terms of what parts to buy etc..

By the way anybody seen any new subframes for sale? There were some on Fleabay (from USA), but can't seem to find them.