• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Manufacture of Sill Sections

backseateducation

Events Co-Ordinator
Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
I must admit I agree with Peter on this one. This is a good opportunity - after the deafening silence of my efforts to attract local firms and the seemingly entrenched attitude of Ford themselves, this would be a great move. I know if I wasn't getting my car sorted this weekend I would have snapped these up, but surely it's better that they go to a trusted lieutenant;) with the ability to produce them for all of us(y)

In fact I would stand a percentage of the cost - i won't need them on this car, but one day I might!

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
No cos it clearly states it has to be fully welded lol also it's monocoque, so outer sill is classed as secondary structure not tertiary

I had no idea - that's really interesting. So that outer sill is actually supporting some sort of load? Or have I misunderstood?

I ask because over the weekend, we were speculating about the fact that an MOT refusal specifically refers to "[Suspension mount /seatbelt anchorage] prescribed area excessively corroded..." and wondered what would happen if you simply removed the outer sill in its entirety, ("See? No corrosion!").

Obviously no sane persone would do it, but it's clearly within the letter of the law, if not the spirit!

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
I had no idea - that's really interesting. So that outer sill is actually supporting some sort of load? Or have I misunderstood?

I ask because over the weekend, we were speculating about the fact that an MOT refusal specifically refers to "[Suspension mount /seatbelt anchorage] prescribed area excessively corroded..." and wondered what would happen if you simply removed the outer sill in its entirety, ("See? No corrosion!").

Obviously no sane persone would do it, but it's clearly within the letter of the law, if not the spirit!

Chris, Jamie offers an explanation in post no31 of the 'fibreglass thread' here:

https://forums.ukcougar.club/threads/27293-Sills/page4

backseateducation

Events Co-Ordinator
Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
Guys as I am still nominally 'in charge' of this project, have we reached the conclusion that at the present time any kind of manufacture is a non-starter and it is better to treat each car individually? Recent work on various projects has shown what can be done even in some very serious cases.
Your opinions are welcome please.