MOT Advisories on a 99 Cougar - Advice

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
If you ride a Busa, then don’t expect anything like the same performance. I ride a ZZR1400 and it will eat my Cougar and spit it out, as it does pretty much anything on 4 wheels. My Cougar is almost ST200 engine wise and much improved from when I first got it.
Yeah, I wouldn't be, but it looks torquey enough for it to be fun and keep me out of the rain and snow. I need to get some car driving experience anyway

Reactions: mabo

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
Yeah, I wouldn't be, but it looks torquey enough for it to be fun and keep me out of the rain and snow. I need to get some car driving experience anyway

One of the things I love about the Cougar is that even the standard handling is pretty capable. Even in poor weather and especially if you have a good set of tyres on it.

All three of mine have been different:
Mako: Standard suspension and wheels, rear strut brace, Rainsport tyres​
Tiger: Standard suspension, 18X8" alloys, rear strut brace/uprated front ARB, Yokohama tyres​
Wildcat: Lowered 40-ish mm on aftermarket springs/standard dampers, 17x7.5" alloys, rear strut brace, Yokohama tyres​

Of course they all handle differently, but every one of them has been perfectly competent and benign in rain and snow. To the point that if you're paying attention, they will warn you if you're doing something stupid well before it's dangerous. And that even applies to Wildcat, whose lowering has reduced the built-in tendency to understeer that all FWD cars should have.

TL;DR: If you've been on bikes and want more experience of cars, you could do far worse than something based on the Ford CDW27 platform. Just remember to avoid solid objects because body panels are starting to get very rare!

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
One of the things I love about the Cougar is that even the standard handling is pretty capable. Even in poor weather and especially if you have a good set of tyres on it.

All three of mine have been different:
Mako: Standard suspension and wheels, rear strut brace, Rainsport tyres​
Tiger: Standard suspension, 18X8" alloys, rear strut brace/uprated front ARB, Yokohama tyres​
Wildcat: Lowered 40-ish mm on aftermarket springs/standard dampers, 17x7.5" alloys, rear strut brace, Yokohama tyres​

Of course they all handle differently, but every one of them has been perfectly competent and benign in rain and snow. To the point that if you're paying attention, they will warn you if you're doing something stupid well before it's dangerous. And that even applies to Wildcat, whose lowering has reduced the built-in tendency to understeer that all FWD cars should have.

TL;DR: If you've been on bikes and want more experience of cars, you could do far worse than something based on the Ford CDW27 platform. Just remember to avoid solid objects because body panels are starting to get very rare!
Thanks for your insight. I am still looking for one as we speak, and am struggling to find one in the North East region. Hopefully I find one soon...you selling one by any chance? :):)

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
Thanks for your insight. I am still looking for one as we speak, and am struggling to find one in the North East region. Hopefully I find one soon...you selling one by any chance? :):)

LOL I've been following your story Hunter, and I would like nothing more than to help you find the perfect Cougar for you.

I only have one now - Mako was sold and crashed by the new owner, and Tiger rotted from the inside of the frame rails.

Wildcat is the remaining one and I'm pleased to say - and I mean no offence - she is not for sale for any amount of money. ;)

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
LOL I've been following your story Hunter, and I would like nothing more than to help you find the perfect Cougar for you.

I only have one now - Mako was sold and crashed by the new owner, and Tiger rotted from the inside of the frame rails.

Wildcat is the remaining one and I'm pleased to say - and I mean no offence - she is not for sale for any amount of money. ;)
Ohhh of course, I wouldn't expect you to sell yours. I'd never sell my Hayabusa. I am more interested in finding one that someone wants to sell.

The one that rotted from inside the frame rails - how did you spot that? is that something that you might not see if you were viewing it normally?

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
Ohhh of course, I wouldn't expect you to sell yours. I'd never sell my Hayabusa. I am more interested in finding one that someone wants to sell.

The one that rotted from inside the frame rails - how did you spot that? is that something that you might not see if you were viewing it normally?

Heh - don't you worry! I know you're looking for the ideal car while also looking for the ideal seller (one who hasn't abused it). Tricky position, especially if you compare that to trying to sell the Hayabusa. You wouldn't want to but - if you did - it would have to be for the right price and to the right person, yes?

Tiger - the one who rotted from inside out - only became obviously compromised once the rot appeared at the outside. Some early sill rust was fixed as it was noticed, but she reached a point where it was unreasonable to trust the car in an impact. Three peple here with welding skills kept that car alive for ~8 years longer than she should've been.

The issues weren't the sort that you might see when inspecting a car for purchase. No owner will want you to hit the belly with a hammer. But if it's any help, the bits I'm talking about are the thick U-shaped parts either side of the exhaust tunne, especially front and rear. You shouldn't feel embarrassed to get under there and at least punch with the side of your fist.

Reactions: Hunter8778

shirtyzeus

Club Member
Aug 29, 2013
eaton socon
u know what...ive just put ford cougar in on ebay and theres only 4 runners and non under £1449😲
5 years ago if u did that youd get about 3 pages of em..
the melina auto on there looks very nice tho...but then so did tilly(my 2nd cougar) and shes got issues at the mo..

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
u know what...ive just put ford cougar in on ebay and theres only 4 runners and non under £1449😲
5 years ago if u did that youd get about 3 pages of em..
the melina auto on there looks very nice tho...but then so did tilly(my 2nd cougar) and shes got issues at the mo..
Yeah, I think they're on drugs with those prices

Reactions: shirtyzeus

dyg3474

Club Member
Mar 26, 2008
Welwyn Garden City
When I started to put my new project together I sadly had to go through 3 cougars and an ST220 before I managed to make a decent one from them all as the first 2 cougars suffered from hidden corrosion as well and the mondeo was very unloved.

Unfortunately they are becoming very rare but people selling them think rare equals expensive.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mako and poose

dakota1112001

Club Member
Jan 3, 2014
herefordshire
If you ride a Busa, then don’t expect anything like the same performance. I ride a ZZR1400 and it will eat my Cougar and spit it out, as it does pretty much anything on 4 wheels. My Cougar is almost ST200 engine wise and much improved from when I first got it.
It's really not about silly performance levels with the V6 cougar, it's about the feel and sound, the V6 is a very under stressed unit, good torque but does not run out of puff further up the rev range, in short it feels like you have a good spread of power no matter what gear your in, a totally different feeling to say a turbocharged four cylinder.

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
It's really not about silly performance levels with the V6 cougar, it's about the feel and sound, the V6 is a very under stressed unit, good torque but does not run out of puff further up the rev range, in short it feels like you have a good spread of power no matter what gear your in, a totally different feeling to say a turbocharged four cylinder.
Say the day ever comes when there are no Cougars left, what are some other good v6 alternatives?

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
Just thought I would mention that the OG DuratecV6 is a Porsche lump with Cosworth-engineered heads.

That doesn't make the whole package a sportscar of course, (the bonnet line makes supercharging a problem for a start) but it does make it a competent roadrunner.

As a product of its time, the engine is properly fast for its weight and is fitted to a competent chassis. Just be aware that my personal outlook is fine with '90s-era safety precautions.

elipton

Club Member
Jul 9, 2014
Suffolk/Essex Border
If it helps instill some hope into your car, I was told mine was rotting to death. I figured if that was the case, there'd be no harm in SORNing, and taking an angle grinder to see what the damage was. I cut out the rust and took it to a different garage (one virtually next door to me) and had two corners repaired for £200 (not including filling and paint). The guy said I saved myself £150 doing the pre-work myself. That was 2020 Summer, and I'm using the car daily now. Will be an issue again one day, but I'm not spending £300 monthly financing a Fiesta, so I'm happy.

Footnote to that, don't go cutting out structural parts of the car and then driving 30 minutes to a garage. I was fortunate to have a garage literally 20 seconds from my house.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 11.32.58.png

Hunter8778

Forum user
Nov 20, 2021
If it helps instill some hope into your car, I was told mine was rotting to death. I figured if that was the case, there'd be no harm in SORNing, and taking an angle grinder to see what the damage was. I cut out the rust and took it to a different garage (one virtually next door to me) and had two corners repaired for £200 (not including filling and paint). The guy said I saved myself £150 doing the pre-work myself. That was 2020 Summer, and I'm using the car daily now. Will be an issue again one day, but I'm not spending £300 monthly financing a Fiesta, so I'm happy.

Footnote to that, don't go cutting out structural parts of the car and then driving 30 minutes to a garage. I was fortunate to have a garage literally 20 seconds from my house.

View attachment 20101
Cheers for sharing your experience with it.

In terms of it needing work further down the line, are you referring to the metal that wasn't touched by the grinder and welded? or the welded, new metal etc?
Post automatically merged:

Ahhhh Busa lad eh lol TL1000R myself, and as above, these things are still fun, especially with a few tweaks in the right direction ;)
Nice one. Is the TL a comfortable ride? I can't complain with my Busa, it has been a joy to ride, is comfortable, and has been very reliable and never really needed much doing to it other than brakes, new discs. I do need to replace the original, non-stainless steel downpipes though :( then again, it's a 20 year old bike now, so...

Should be the new owner of Poose's Cougar tomorrow.

Reactions: TopCat1127

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
I can't really fault that approach at all. If nothing else - assuming a dying car - you'll find out exactly what you're getting into and whether it's going to be worth it (or how much metal you're going to be putting into it!).

The equivalent is (generally) not true of paintshops though. They really don't like it if you bring them a car in primer, since they have no idea what you've used, how it was applied, or how a basecoat will react with it.

So chop away, but save the spray.

Reactions: Hunter8778