New Owner

Davids01

New user
Dec 4, 2022
Morning folks,

I wondered if anyone could help me ?

I have just purchased V95 JDD with 52,000 miles on the clock. Does anyone out there have any history on the vehicle or have previously owned it ?

The car came with the original service history log showing it was bought from Bristol Street Ford in Gloucester back in 1999 and had its 1st service at EMG Ford, Thetford in 2001 but no further history came with the car.

Any historic info would be great,

Thanks

David

Welcome David.
The car doesn't appear in our list of reg numbers previously owned by club members, but that isn't necessarily a total blank.
I know the dealership well as I grew up between Worcester and Gloucester, they did some servicing and warranty work on my Mondeo.
Be great to see some pictures and your thoughts on the car.

Hello David and welcome to the forum. (y)

Factory Build date was 06/04/99.
Morning & thanks for the build date.
Post automatically merged:

Welcome David.
The car doesn't appear in our list of reg numbers previously owned by club members, but that isn't necessarily a total blank.
I know the dealership well as I grew up between Worcester and Gloucester, they did some servicing and warranty work on my Mondeo.
Be great to see some pictures and your thoughts on the car.
Morning & thanks for getting in touch.

The car is having some minor dents taken out and should be ready next week. It should look amazing once it is finished. I have attached a single picture for now and will upload more once the car is back home.

I love the cars looks & the way it drives - they are a rare sight and I've only used it a few times and been stopped by passers by each time I parked, asking either what it is or how great it looks. I've also own a Triumph Stag but it doesn't get anywhere near as much attention.

I do have a few questions about the car but will save those for when I have some more pictures.

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Attachments

• V95 JDD.jpg
    V95 JDD.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I always was a Triumph fan, I had a Spitfire back then, it was my second ever car.
The Stag engine had the benefit of that wonderful Triumph design that had one set of cylinder head bolts vertical as normal but the row down the other side of the block had the bolts set at an angle. So the forces applied to the head and head gasket are not even, almost guaranteed to shorten the life of the head gasket.
I hear more modern gaskets are better but back then it was an error that should never have been allowed to pass scrutiny.
The bigger Dolomite engines had the same poor head bolt design. I believe the stag V8 was more or less 2 Dolomite blocks on a common crank.
In an Alan Milyard kind of way but pre dating Milyard.

Nice Cougar, love that colour. :)

Reactions: HogMonster
She looks great!
Oo and a Stag too, I've always liked those! Is it running the original engine?
Morning,

Thanks for the comments.

Original engine in the Stag ............. well almost !

I followed a friend to the TVR national day many years ago and in a moment of stupidity decided to race him to the entrance, however the Stag's V8 wasn't up to the job and put a piston through the block. Waited an hour for a tow truck 50 yards from the TVR show entrance with some interesting comments from the TVR club members !

It was replaced with another Triumph V8 and has been fine since although it's never been over 3,000 revs as they are not cheap to replace.
Post automatically merged:

I always was a Triumph fan, I had a Spitfire back then, it was my second ever car.
The Stag engine had the benefit of that wonderful Triumph design that had one set of cylinder head bolts vertical as normal but the row down the other side of the block had the bolts set at an angle. So the forces applied to the head and head gasket are not even, almost guaranteed to shorten the life of the head gasket.
I hear more modern gaskets are better but back then it was an error that should never have been allowed to pass scrutiny.
The bigger Dolomite engines had the same poor head bolt design. I believe the stag V8 was more or less 2 Dolomite blocks on a common crank.
In an Alan Milyard kind of way but pre dating Milyard.

Nice Cougar, love that colour. :)
Morning,

Thanks for the comments and great knowledge.

The Stag V8 isn't the best but the exhaust note & the looks of the car make up for it's lacklustre performance, in my view.

I've had the car for over 30 years now and have no intentions of ever selling it.

Thanks

They are a lovely car. My rebellious cousin had one that had had a Ford V6 engine transplant - well he did until it got taken away as 'proceeds of crime'🤣🤣

The easy Stag transplant engine was the Triumph 2.5 straight six, enough power but definit ly not so good on the sound front.
The Rover 3.5 V8 was common too, kept the V8 noise and power but was frowned upon by Triumphisti ( If that word ever existed !)

Im glad to hear yours is standard. Although a friend had one and a garage I was jealous of I’ve never driven one.
I had a Vitesse soft top until some bugger stole it.

The easy Stag transplant engine was the Triumph 2.5 straight six, enough power but definit ly not so good on the sound front.
The Rover 3.5 V8 was common too, kept the V8 noise and power but was frowned upon by Triumphisti ( If that word ever existed !)

Im glad to hear yours is standard. Although a friend had one and a garage I was jealous of I’ve never driven one.
I had a Vitesse soft top until some bugger stole it.
Thanks for the reply. In those days cars were really easy to nick unfortunately. I had a Herald convertible as my first car at 17 years old, which resulted in my first 3 points endorsement ( driving without due care and attention ) and then a Vitesse came along some years later.

My 2.0 ( or was it a 1.6 as it was many moons ago ) Vitesse soft top was a smart little car - although from memory the carbs on mine always needed balancing back in the day.

Thanks for bringing back good memories, the days before speed cameras !

Early was 1.6, then it was bored to 2.0
Then it was stroked to 2.5 to fit in the Triumph 2500, then an early injection system got it to about 150BHP.
Triple twin choke webbers was a popular upgrade.
I think it was running twin strombergs as standard, yes regular balancing was needed.
My Vitesse was a 2.0, bottom end was knocking, as they did at 60K miles.
I had a part rebuilt 2.5 on my bench and a Dolimite 1850 box already in it.
Then separation and divorce meant it got left for a year or 3. That’s when it went missing from the drive of the house my Ex was living in. The house I was paying all the bills for………