S 600GAR.

Quicksilver

Admin
Club Admin
Aug 3, 2008
South Glos.
S 600GAR, DG, Al's pride and joy.

We have thought long and hard about how to best proceed with S 600GAR.

Steve, Al's brother, is of the opinion it would be very fitting for the car to remain within the forum as a poignant reminder to the happy times Al spent modding, fettling and otherwise maintaining his pride and joy; not only for his own satisfaction but also for the rest of us who were fortunate enough to see, at first hand, his extensive efforts.

We would like to extend our thanks to the members of the forum who have already expressed an interest in buying the car to keep and maintain in Al's memory and for the benefit of the forum.

In fairness to all and to grant Al his wish of DG 'going to the highest bidder' we have decided to hold a silent auction with any funds raised being donated to Al's funeral expenses and the British Heart Foundation, Al's chosen charity.
Please submit your bids in private to one of the members of Admin and Mods by midnight on Friday 26th November 2021. The successful bidder will be notified over the weekend of 27th and 28th November 2021.

The car has an MOT valid until early August 2022. The mileage at the last MOT, done at the end of July 2021, was 129,870. The actual mileage will be confirmed over this weekend.

In the event of there being 'tied' highest bids we will contact the members concerned for further discussions.

It would be more than fitting if DG could accompany Al on his final journey and we would very much like to work with the new owner to make this happen.

Good Luck.

E8E17949-155B-4439-8645-5435D8249A3A.jpeg

I like to say a huge thanks to all the members who placed bids and I'm pleased to announce a winning bid of Ā£2010.00 has been secured for S600GAR.

The transaction has been completed and plans are now in place for the new owner to drive DG and accompany Al on his final journey.

I will open this thread now so, in time honoured fashion, DG's new guardian can make themselves known. (y)

I can confirm I am now the proud owner of DG, it was by no means any easy decision to make to bid on DG as obviously I wish it was still in Als care.
I spent quite a long time reading the thread Al had for the conversion of his car and it is obvious to anyone how much time effort and love he put into DG as well as the suffering and hard times he had during the build both mentally and physically.
I don't mind admitting I cried a lot whilst browsing through it several times but also had some laughs from the banter.
Al was always there to offer help and support to others and always had that reciprocated by members who held him in high regard.
I intend to keep the car in as good as condition as I am able to as a tribute and memory to the man I remember, who I was lucky enough to call a friend.
My biggest honour will be to lead the procession at his funeral, I'm only hoping I am able to drive safely through my tears.

Congrats Phil, DG is a fine example of the Cougar - a testament to the time, love and effort Al invested. I was tempted to bid myself - if there is one Cougar to tempt me back into ownership it was DG - but convinced myself it wasnā€™t the right thing to do. Living outside wouldnā€™t do DG any good after years of living in the Pidcave.

It's always gonna be a tough call to take on a previous owners car, but even tougher when that person has since passed and is a very well thought of major part of a club like ours........ After all, I should know.
It's good to know that Al's car will be looked after by you, Phil.
And trust me, you'll be having many more of those 'moments' the further you get into it, even to this day, I still get them.
Good luck with it fella (y)

Absolutely delighted to hear that this car will be staying with us, owned by a great member held in high esteem. Especially since it means that she (with Phil at her helm) will be leading the parade, as is right and proper.

And I don't mean to sound flippant, but we've always joked that the Cougars use us humans as a way of staying in touch with each other.. If ever there was a car that didn't want to lose touch with its mates, well, this is the one.

Now that this is a resolved thread, I hope you'll forgive me a quick reminisce...

My first MFSM was at Al's in 2011, just us two (and Vonny of course!). Al had just acquired a C2 interior from somewhere, Mako had cloth, and S600GAR's C1 leather was going begging. So I paid him Ā£100 for the C1 interior and we set about a day of swapsies, (this was the day we learned about the SRS wiring differences, but that's a story for another time).

As many of you will know, Al's health issues extended to his back and that meant that it was a huge challenge for him to move seats around - especially the driver's. In the meantime, I was in full health back then so there was only one thing for it.

Imagine if you will, me bracing myself to lift a C1 seat out and a C2 seat in to S600GAR's cabin. I knew what this car meant to him and I was terrified. Al was a complete gent about it though - "If yus scratchit, yus scratch it."

He hopped into the passenger side to help guide the seat in place and everything went without a hitch (or a scratch). And then we had a fag, a cup of tea, and bacon rolls.

Al taught me a lot about tolerance, patience, and staying calm in the face of adversity.

My first ever club meet was at Harewood House on 10 Aug 2010. I'd been a forum member for little over a year and didn't know anyone by sight. Al recognised my number plate and came straight over with a cheery "Ay up Rich, 'ow's tha goin?" He had a look round my, then pretty much bog standard, car and complimented me on it before asking me if I'd fitted the Speedhut dials from the recent group buy. When I confessed that they were in the boot because I didn't have the first idea where to start, that absolute gent of a man stripped my entire dashboard and installed them right there at the showground. I still remember him laughing at my horror at seeing just how far apart the dash had to come and worrying that I'd never be able to drive the car home at the end of the show.

Altruistic acts like this were, I came to realise, utterly typical of Al. He helped so many of us, be it through advice or physical assistance. He cared not whether someone was a newby or a longstanding club member, whether they were clueless or clued up, whether their Cougar was standard or heavily modified. He was a role model to us all, he was our 'Uncle Al'. I miss him more than I can put into words.

1638392375252.png
1638392399646.png
1638392416976.png

Al saved my bacon too when Wildcat decided she was now a one-door. Drove down to Pid Towers and Al got the tools out - the sight of a big hammer and a grinder must have got Wildcat nervous - but he had the door open after a bit of persuading:

IMG_20180623_115829.jpg

The last meet we saw Al (apart from the 2019 Xmas bash) was Blackpool - examining Mick's.......gearstick i think.

IMG_20190915_114220.jpg

IMG_20190915_114036.jpg