Spoilt Spoiler Showdown

Use it or Loose it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mousedown

Well-known user
Jun 7, 2010
Newcastle
A few of you might have seen the botched job I've recently had done on my cougar. I wanted the body kit & spoiler from my old , fitted to my new. Long story short, they made a mess and it's getting fixed tomorrow. The spoiler was fitted in the wrong place and it's now going to cost me to have it repaired. More here.

Before I do, I wanted to ask your opinion as I'm on the fence on how it should look. Should I have it refitted further back (seen on previous cougar picture 1) or keep it where it's at, saving money repairing the body work to have it moved.

IMAG0066.jpgupa7ejup.jpgna6u6e5u.jpg

I voted to keep it where it is. Personally I think it looks a bit daft hanging over the back of the boot lid and disrupts the lines of the car too much.

Just dropped it off. Filling the holes, Moving the spoiler & spraying the boot lid was only £30 difference! But I'm keeping it where it is. Prefer it there too.

I personally think it should have been fitted where it's supposed to be. The lines of the spoiler just don't look right sat that far forward. Just my 2p.

Amazing how it was fitted wrong in first place with the guide holes being present already on all cougars (under rubber boots in hatch-back) still don't look that bad mate so yeah keep as is

It would've been interesting to see whether the new position has any obvious effect on fuel usage over time.

I doubt a (correctly-installed) pedestal spoiler gives much more than a 1-2MPG benefit at the best of times, and that's even smaller than the variance between individual cars... so unless someone has a wind tunnel and fluid dynamics degree, I guess we'll never know.

Having said that, you have been driving this car around without one at all. If you're planning on doing a journey of any length in the near future, see if it makes any difference.

Didn't someone say once spoilers have no real effect until you go over 120 mph?

If they did they were wrong. A spoiler disrupts airflow over the back of the car and reduces drag. They work at any speed where the airflow conforms to boundary layer flow over the car and so hits the spoiler and breaks up. So 50MPH (as an example) would be more than enough. The speed of the water out of your tap is enough to make it stick to the back of a spoon, for pity's sake.

If they meant that a wing - which is a totally different thing but installed in the same place on the car - doesn't work under 120MPH... then they were still wrong. Any pilot will tell you - after he's done reminding you that he's a pilot - that aerodynamic surfaces start to become useful over around 60MPH.

Is that the MGTF one if so feet should be on the edge of bootlid doesn't look right forward IMO