• Welcome to the new forums. If you have any issues, please open a new thread in the Bugs & Problems section.

Suggestion for photos in how-tos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

spjmorris

Well-known user
Apr 10, 2012
'Fampton
there are quite a few how-tos dotted around where the op has long gone and since closed their image hosting account, leaving dead links and missing photos aplenty.

So, how about setting up a UKCougar photobucket account for hosting the photos on, perhaps subscribers could have access to it and upload our how-to pics there instead of using our own.

We could also transfer existing how to images over to stop them getting lost.

It wouldn't cost the site anything and would ensure how-tos remain intact.

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
I just set up a photobucket account.
Ill post the login details in a subscribers only section later :)

Not very secure though. It would only take 1 disgruntled subscriber to mess everything up, change password, change email, delete all the photos etc.

I've just had a go at setting up group sharing on both photobucket and flickr, but I looks like if the user leaves the group/site the images would get removed as well, which is no good.

The only way which we would never loose any of the photos is to save them on our web server. I would have to put this past Rob first, but it would make more sense in the long run.

bobster1982

Club Member
Aug 9, 2007
Grimsby
on the forum server will be fine. we just need to keep an eye on the image sizes and make sure it scales them properly to a default size.

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
I think everyone was in agreement that it was a good idea and there is not issue with saving all the images onto the old forum server. So it's just a matter of someone going through each post and saving all the images in a structured manor, or I could have a go a writing a script to crawl every post in that forum section.

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
I've just done a quick query for all the posts in the How To's section that contain images and the result returned 184 posts out of 2,594 in that section, which is a lot less than what I was expecting. So I'll set aside a few hours tomorrow and save them all manually.

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
Well it's done, all images that still exist are saved to my machine and will upload them to the server later.

Image Stats
  • Total in How To section: 695
  • Missing: 107
  • Duplicate or none relevant: 13
  • Saved: 575
  • Total size of saved files: 40MB

Missing Images Report

Revised Image Stats
  • Total in How To section: 696
  • Missing: 67
  • Duplicate or none relevant: 13
  • Saved: 616
  • Total size of saved files: 43.3MB

I'll try and remember to make this a monthly task of checking for new How To's and archiving the images.

If anyone is interested in taking new pictures to repair these old How To's please reply in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.