Towbar request/advice

lastchancer

Club Member
Jun 27, 2014
United Kingdom
Hazel, it's very unlikely the one off the Mondeo will fit.
For safety sake, if nothing else, you need to find one that's made to measure for the Cougar.

edit:

The Mondeo one is missing the front-to-back plates which bolt to the chassis rails and secure the crossbar and ball hitch to the car.
You can see what a complete kit looks like in this parts diagram:

5C9232DB-C892-4649-8685-090EEEDC0859.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a tow bar on mine, it was supplied boxed and brand new when I bought the car.
That Mondeo one looks narrower than mine.
I don't keep it all installed, the actual ball and a short bar lives in the boot with the spare wheel. On the odd occasion I've used it I've bolted it in place with 2 bolts.
Keeps the R send looking a little neater without it in place.
I don't think I photographed the install but I could get some pics of it in place if it would help.
I suspect it might be a scrap yard search if you want one or get lucky with NOS.

Hazel, it's very unlikely the one off the Mondeo will fit.
For safety sake, if nothing else, you need to find one that's made to measure for the Cougar.

edit:

The Mondeo one is missing the front-to-back plates which bolt to the chassis rails and secure the crossbar and ball hitch to the car.
You can see what a complete kit looks like in this parts diagram:

View attachment 21727
Thanks Andy, looks like my best bet will be keeping an eye out for a coog going for scrap that has one on then
Post automatically merged:

I have a tow bar on mine, it was supplied boxed and brand new when I bought the car.
That Mondeo one looks narrower than mine.
I don't keep it all installed, the actual ball and a short bar lives in the boot with the spare wheel. On the odd occasion I've used it I've bolted it in place with 2 bolts.
Keeps the R send looking a little neater without it in place.
I don't think I photographed the install but I could get some pics of it in place if it would help.
I suspect it might be a scrap yard search if you want one or get lucky with NOS.
Thanks, I'll to try and find a cougar going for scrap to pinch one off

Reactions: mabo
Witter themselves have stopped making them, link doesn't say if in stock but i'm still looking lol

Witter Fixed Flange Towbar For Ford Mondeo Saloon Mk2 1996 -2000 - Towing Centres

Hazel BIN on this one quickly lol

WITTER F77 Towbar Ford Mondeo Mondeo (inc. 4WD) (inc ST24 Zetec 'S' model) 96-00 | eBay

You'll just need to sort which towball and electrics you need but that 2nd one is new old stock and about 2/3 the price, oh and available lol

Last edited:
Witter themselves have stopped making them, link doesn't say if in stock but i'm still looking lol

Witter Fixed Flange Towbar For Ford Mondeo Saloon Mk2 1996 -2000 - Towing Centres

Hazel BIN on this one quickly lol

WITTER F77 Towbar Ford Mondeo Mondeo (inc. 4WD) (inc ST24 Zetec 'S' model) 96-00 | eBay

You'll just need to sort which towball and electrics you need but that 2nd one is new old stock and about 2/3 the price, oh and available lol
Awesome, I'll jump on that one. ThanksšŸ˜€

Reactions: TopCat1127