2000 W Reg Cougar V6 some wee problems

Orangetm

New user
Sep 3, 2010
Perth
Hi to everyone, just bought a 2000 Wreg Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 (X pack)
Lovely car but has couple of wee problems, the electric window button the drivers door that opens the passenger window does not work , any ideas on what may be wrong.
CD multi changer in boot does not want to release cartridge , any idea why not.
Lastly the sunroof will only lift on one side and wont go back , any idea on solution ?
Its great car to drive , Ive had Alfa 156's before but this is special, Car has high mileage but has 14 service stamps and handles really well

Thanks in advance

Hi bud,
You'll probably need a new relay for the window switch.
Can't help with the CD other than whack it with a lump hammer.
Sunroofs are notorious on the Cougar, the plastic runners tend to break**

Hope that helps

**A very, very expensive job to replace/repair, most don't bother with the sunroof as the car has aircon.
Had you joined the forum prior to buying the car you would have known that......hindsight is wonderful, isn't it?

welcome to the club.

Best advice i can give is that for £18 per year you can subscribe to the only manual for the big cat - ukcougar.com

we also have access to numerous discounts as club members.

It will save you a fortune

Hi and welcome mate (y)

Leccy window button could be a number of things - does the passenger door button still work? If so that's a blown fuse out of the question, most likely a loose connector/wire or a dodgy switch altogether. Either way it's a door card off and a fiddle around job - check the connector's located correctly and and wiggle the wires while you try and operate it.

Multi changer there is a little button on its fascia that releases the cartridge by operating a release solenoid - could be either a dodgy button again, or the solenoid, or a completely duff unit. Best bet would be to remove the unit from the boot for a closer look.

The sunroof operates by a motor pushing & pulling flexible rods. If one side is goosed then you've either got a broken rod (or it's broken from its mounts) or a problem with the motor/gear box. Again a bit of poking around will shed a little more light on the exact cause.

There's a whole load of information available in the subscriber's section, only £18 for the year, and everyone on the site will agree it's the best £18 they've ever spent on their cars (y)

Welcome to UKC.com Orangetm. The passenger side window switch sounds like it's a gonner, mine was the same when I bought it. Best to enquire with anyone who's breaking a car for spares to get a replacement, as I believe they are around £50 from a dealership, but you shouldn't have any difficulty picking one up 2nd hand for no more than £20. No need to remove the doorcard for this, it just pops out with gentle persuasion & the replacement will plug straight in.(y)

I can't offer any suggestions on the CD multichanger or sunroof I'm afraid, but again, if you find a breaker, the multichanger shouldn't be too expensive to replace with a 2nd hand part.

Hi Sabretooth , you were correct, squeezed out switch, cleaned connections managed to get the window to go down but not up so will source a replacement, trying cd changer now
Cheers
Orangetm
Welcome to UKC.com Orangetm. The passenger side window switch sounds like it's a gonner, mine was the same when I bought it. Best to enquire with anyone who's breaking a car for spares to get a replacement, as I believe they are around £50 from a dealership, but you shouldn't have any difficulty picking one up 2nd hand for no more than £20. No need to remove the doorcard for this, it just pops out with gentle persuasion & the replacement will plug straight in.(y)

I can't offer any suggestions on the CD multichanger or sunroof I'm afraid, but again, if you find a breaker, the multichanger shouldn't be too expensive to replace with a 2nd hand part.

Hello mate, welcome to the club.

Re: Your Electric Window button not working - these simply lift out and unclip, see the following pic's:

WingMirror-HowTo005.jpg

WingMirror-HowTo006.jpg

WingMirror-HowTo008.jpg

So, if you have an electrical tester, you can test to see if your getting any power to the switch first, before pulling off the door card etc. Each switch is marked, one says "B" (Blue Connector) and the other "G" (Green Connector). You could try lifting the switch from the passenger side, if working? and swap with the drivers side switch to see if that works or not? If it works, then you have a dodgy switch.

Hope this helps, Tim

i bought a spare window switch on ebay for a couple of quid,it was for a scorpio but all you have to do is shave a little lug off the housing with a stanley knife and it fits a treat

Try taking the window switch out of the car, dousing the living bejesus out of it with WD40, letting it air dry completely then refitting it. It might not work, but then again it might and it costs pence to try. I had the same problem with my 2000 W Reg Cougar V6 when I first got it, somebody on here suggested the above remedy and it worked. I couldn't even pretend to know why it worked, but it did. I hope you're as lucky as I was.

Welcome to the club, by the way.

As above post. Douse the connectors of the switch with WD40 or electrical contact cleaner to get rid of any contamination build up that is caused through bad fitting connections.

Might just be worth mentioning a little tip here:
When you pull the switch loom up out of the panel, put a screwdriver or cocktail stick or similar through the wires to stop the connector falling back into the door :beer:

hi and welcome to ukcougar.com,the possibility of a cd been stuck in the magazine and sticking out slighty will stop the magazine from coming out you will have to remove the top from the cd changer to check.electric window switch is a possibility of a dry solder joint,and the sunroof live with it unless you can find one in a breakers near you

welcome to the home of the cougar with all there little problems you will learn to love the thing even when it gets on your t........s it will test you and when all else fails you pay the subs and pick some other poor sods brains who has sufferd the problem and posted a how to to save you the pain,welcome

Hi and welcome to ukcougar.com, your in the right place for all things cougar related, as well as some crazy banter. You will also be able to find all the fixes you need in our subscriber sections. Have a browse around the open forums and get a feel for the place. Remember! ukcougar.com is the only workshop manual for the big cat.