Another Story So Far

Yeah it was basically crap fuel which caused it - the fuel has improved a great deal since the 90s when it trashed Jaguar AJ-V8s too...

That's what it was though - it caused the Nikasil lining to flake off the aluminium cylinders :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Nikasil is a trademarked electrodeposited oleophilic nickel matrix silicium carbide coating for engine components, mainly piston engine cylinder liners. It was introduced by Mahle in 1967, initially developed to allow rotary engine apex seals (NSU Ro80 and C111) to work directly against the aluminum housing. This coating allowed aluminium cylinders and pistons to work directly against each other with low wear and friction. Unlike other methods, including cast iron cylinder liners, Nikasil allowed very large cylinder bores with tight tolerances and thus allowed existing engine designs to be expanded easily, the aluminium cylinders also gave a much better heat conductivity than cast iron liners which is an important factor for a high output engine. The coating was further developed by US Chrome Corporation in the USA in the early 1990s (under the trade name of "Nicom") as a replacement for hard-chrome plated cylinder bores for Mecury Marine Racing, Kohler Engines, and as a repair replacement for factory-chromed snowmobiles, dirt bikes, ATVs, watercraft and automotive V8 liners/bores.

Porsche started using this on the 1970 917 race car, and later on the 1973 911 RS. Porsche also used it on production cars, but for a short time switched to Alusil due to cost savings for their base 911. Nikasil cylinders were always used for the 911 Turbo and RS models. Nikasil coated aluminum cylinders allowed Porsche to build air-cooled engines that had the highest specific output of any engine of their time. Nikasil is still used in today's 911s with great success.

Nikasil was very popular in the 1990s. It was used by companies such as BMW, Ferrari and Jaguar Cars in their new engine families. However, the sulfur found in much of the world's low quality gasoline caused the Nikasil cylinders used by BMW to break down over time [1], causing costly engine failures. BMW eventually abandoned its Nikasil coating after replacing a number of M60 V8 engines in the USA and the UK.

Nikasil or similar coatings under other trademarks are also still widely used in racing engines, including those used in Formula One and ChampCar.

I see.... I didn't know that before today. Cheers Jamie :D

a 5.0L BMW would be nice :D but like the cougar no-one knows how to fix the engines and service cost are high. This is why you can pick up a 750i or 850 for about ?ú10k or less nowadays.
Was one in Total BMW magazine a couple of months ago in yellow i think (840 or 850 cant remember now) it looked the dogs. 8)

yeah BMW got caught with there pants down for sure and as such had to offer free engines for the first couple of years, although i believe it was just the engine block however thats a lot of money nonetheless, towards the 3yr mark they were paying part costs to replacement blocks but they say if you have a BMW with nikasil liners that's lasted this long then it will last the lifetime of the car.
it was only fuel from one particular refinery down south that really brought this issue up as it was of very poor grade and destroyed the liners. Thankfully fuel is of a much higher std now (LOL) so any nikasil blocks can rest easy :)

really liking the mondys! not a huge bmw fan tbh, but i love the colour of the one you had! fabulous! :D

I want to get an M 850CSi one day.... This had the 5.0l V12 and a nice subtle M bodykit on it. Very rare car...

To this day my dad is looking for an Alpina B12 8 series, I belive they built less then 30 of these so we have never seen one for sales anywhere yet. Apparently he will buy the first on he spots so if anyone knows of one going.... :LOL: They are the business though with all the Alpina stripes on them and the bespoke Alpina engine 8)

v6_cougar_london said:
I want to get an M 850CSi one day.... This had the 5.0l V12 and a nice subtle M bodykit on it. Very rare car...

To this day my dad is looking for an Alpina B12 8 series, I belive they built less then 30 of these so we have never seen one for sales anywhere yet. Apparently he will buy the first on he spots so if anyone knows of one going.... :LOL: They are the business though with all the Alpina stripes on them and the bespoke Alpina engine 8)
I think i've seen one, not on the road mind, but i know what you mean. The V12 is the same engine as is fitted to the Mclaren F-1 supercar if i'm not wrong :?: You ever hear of the Konig Specials 8 series mate?

lynz said:
really liking the mondys! not a huge bmw fan tbh, but i love the colour of the one you had! fabulous! :D

cheers, the colour was a deciding factor as well
ill post up some interior pics of the Mk2 mondy as it had tv xbox the full works all fitted by myself, false floor in the boot etc

frontwithbonnetventvu4.jpg

the NACA duct i fitted to the bonnet, greatly increased cold air feed to the induction filter and cut down on heatsoak

dials004ub9.jpg

my plasma dials which had a pot for turning between green and blue so u could get an indiglo colour from them

screeninstall004qc1.jpg

stage one of fitting the 7" screen into the 1.5 din slot

screeninstall014se8.jpg

screen fitted and the bracked bonded into place, stereo moved down to ashtray spot, only way to get cd's into it was to have the car in 4th gear (cd changer sorted that out tho ;) )

mini30330852torchv6arm5.jpg

me at knockhill race track, the mondy was able to get away from quite a few cars especially through the tight corners :D

ginja said:
v6_cougar_london said:
The V12 is the same engine as is fitted to the Mclaren F-1 supercar if i'm not wrong :?: You ever hear of the Konig Specials 8 series mate?

The engine in the F1 started life as this V12 yes 8) Mum used to have a 750i with this engine, it was one of the cars used in tomorrow never dies as it goes :D I liked that car a lot but sadly I was too young to have a go myself :cry:

No I dont know that Konig 8 series, post a link or something as I'm very curious.... :D

I guy up the road from me had a 850 a number of years ago. Not the M one. The poor mans standard 850. I think he bought his one new.

Nice Stereo mate (Like my stereo's) I considered a remote screen myself as at the time you couldn't get one in the cougar dash.....until someone fitted the headunit i'd been advised DIDN'T fit :x .....I've still got one to fit to my present stereo that mounts on the Rear View Mirror, an intresting concept i can tell you for sure. :roll:

v6_cougar_london said:
ginja said:
v6_cougar_london said:
The V12 is the same engine as is fitted to the Mclaren F-1 supercar if i'm not wrong :?: You ever hear of the Konig Specials 8 series mate?

The engine in the F1 started life as this V12 yes 8) Mum used to have a 750i with this engine, it was one of the cars used in tomorrow never dies as it goes :D I liked that car a lot but sadly I was too young to have a go myself :cry:

No I dont know that Konig 8 series, post a link or something as I'm very curious.... :D
http://www.koenig-specials.com/
http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/redi...ge_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

ginja said:
Nice Stereo mate (Like my stereo's) I considered a remote screen myself as at the time you couldn't get one in the cougar dash.....until someone fitted the headunit i'd been advised DIDN'T fit :x .....I've still got one to fit to my present stereo that mounts on the Rear View Mirror, an intresting concept i can tell you for sure. :roll:

anything can be made to fit if you have the patience ;) im already planning my next install into the cougar :LOL:
thinking of either one of the high end ford sat nav units, or going for a pioneer avic series with sat nav either way its going to be a struggle to fit but ill manage :)