Car change

Tom G

Well-known user
Feb 27, 2008
North Lincolnshire
I will soon be getting rid of the Cougar and replacing it with a Fiesta ST (no negative comments please!). This will definitely be my last Cougar as the unpracticality is becoming too much of an issue now.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me help and advice over the past (nearly) three years and all those whom I have met in person, particularly Rob who has come to help me more than once. This isn't a goodbye message as I will still be around and I am still a Cougar owner for now!

If I could call on your advice/experience just one more time, I'd appreciate it!

When trying to get a quote for a change of vehicle on my policy, my insurers, SwiftCover, say they are unable to cover my changes. I am up for renewal at end of Feb and am in the middle of a claim after I had a crash with a motorbike and pillion passenger. Could this be why they won't let me change the car? I have already changed vehicles since the accident, but claims from those on the bike had not commenced. Could just be a system fault as it still came up with my access being around £1,200 compulsory! Any ideas/suggestions?

Just received an e-mail through this second! What idiots:

Dear Mr Green,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately the Ford Fiesta ST is a vehicle that we do not offer any insurance cover for.

Kind Regards

Richard Paver

Swift Help Team
Swiftcover.com

They'll insure a 170bhp 2.5 V6 but they won't insure a 150bhp 2.0 4 pot? What a bag of dog do. If that is the case, they should surely terminate your policy on the day you sell the Cougar then, and reimburse you any of the premium you may have paid for and not used. It doesn't seem reasonable that SwiftCover should dictate what cars you can and can't buy or make you carry on paying to insure a car you no longer own. I suspect, unfortunately, that any such process will be swamped in miles of red tape and that any remimbursment will be minus a heftily trumped up 'admin fee'. It may just be simpler to swap your car at the end of next month then wave SwiftCover bye bye as you leave to find a decent insurance company who will cover what is, after all, an extremely popular car on today's roads.

Probably true enough. My slightly iffy best mate just swapped a 206CC for a 207GT diesel. He's with Swiftcover who refused to cover a 207 GTi.

It seems that they just don't want anything to do with any car with a "pillock" badge on it, regardless of size/power. That's probably supported by crash statistics of pretty much any car versus it's GiT counterpart whereby a lot of those attracted to the latter drive more aggressively than those in less sporty models.

Although only a small proportion of Saxos were VTR or VTS models, a much higher proportion of VTR/VTS models sold will have been crashed than other models in the range.

Thanks guys, I may indeed wait until 26 Feb when my insurance finishes, but because I'm in the middle of an open claim, will that complicate cancelling sooner? Also, because the claim is in process my new quote would have to be with no years no claims, if the claim is then later resolved in my favour, what would I be able to do then, having already started a new policy with no NCB.

This is all a right pain in the rear end! SwiftCover are very slow to respond to questions as well so I would advise anyone to stay clear.

yes it can complicate it, but should not prevent it Tom.

Whether you are at fault or not, it will just show as a claim and can be amended later on when 'fault' is decided.

Sorry to hear you have decided to get rid of the coug, but each to their own and i hope you find a lovely fezzie.

si

I will soon be getting rid of the Cougar and replacing it with a Fiesta ST (no negative comments please!). This will definitely be my last Cougar as the unpracticality is becoming too much of an issue now.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me help and advice over the past (nearly) three years and all those whom I have met in person, particularly Rob who has come to help me more than once. This isn't a goodbye message as I will still be around and I am still a Cougar owner for now!

If I could call on your advice/experience just one more time, I'd appreciate it!

When trying to get a quote for a change of vehicle on my policy, my insurers, SwiftCover, say they are unable to cover my changes. I am up for renewal at end of Feb and am in the middle of a claim after I had a crash with a motorbike and pillion passenger. Could this be why they won't let me change the car? I have already changed vehicles since the accident, but claims from those on the bike had not commenced. Could just be a system fault as it still came up with my access being around £1,200 compulsory! Any ideas/suggestions?

Sorry Tom, this isn't meant to be a negative comment on the Fiesta ST, which is a great little car, but how is it more practical? It has a smaller boot, only has 3 doors(same as the Cougar) and less legroom. TBH, I can think of a lot of reasons to buy a Fezza ST over a Cougar, but I wouldn't count practicality as one of them. ;)

Perhaps logical would be a better word. It has five seats which is vital because I run a five-a-side football team and have to provide transport to much of the team. Fuel economy is also a third better - those are the main two things really. I know many people hate the cars and have many things to say about how 'revvy' they are or how thirsty they are supposed to be - but I am FULLY aware of how the car functions and have been studying them for months/years, as I do all cars before I buy.

I've got what you're saying now mate. Don't get me wrong, I think point to point a ST is quicker than a standard Cougar, it would definitely be a car I'd like to blat around in.(y)

have fun with your fiesta ST. My wife has a fiesta 2005 with a 1.6 engine and 100 horsepower and for the better handling we placed the car lower with the Eibach.
She is very happy with her car and the stearing/handling is very precies.

greats marco

always happy to help tom! will still see you about at work and on here ;)

I like the ST Fezzies they are quick little cars! I had a play with one not long back and it was only corners where I gained some ground on it! good on economy as well if you lighten the right foot.

Good luck with the new car, if it's any consolation (which it probably isn't) Ria had the coming together with the blind mondeo driver back in October and although the insurance company (Direct lie) have said that they hold the other driver responsible, that hasn't stopped them raising her premium by £35.00 per month (from £41.00), and still the issue hasn't been resolved, I have told Ria that a premium of £76.00 per month isn't acceptable on top of the other costs associated with running an old thirsty car.

It seems that the insurance companies have us over a barrel and fully take advantage of it, make sure you take every opportunity to tell everybody about the shabby way you have been treated by those idiots at Swiftcover.

Why?

Cheers Rob and Tony. Because there's an open claim on my current policy, will that affect my ability to cancel if I am paying by monthly direct debit?

I had a Mk6 Fiesta for a year. I'm 6'3" and on long journeys, it was a nightmare. The Centre Console hems you into a box and there's very little lower back support (I had ST Seats).

Oh ha ha, I thought you were going to say that could affect my insurance.

I'm a relatively UK average 5' 9" and have the body of a child so will be fine I think!

I'm 6' and I fit into our Fiesta fine. I have the seat all the way back on the rails, but I favour a driving position where I'm sat very upright with my arms and legs stretched out. I can't say as I find the interior claustrophobic, but it's horses for course I suppose.

Hey Tom, just wanted to say good luck with the change of car - I had two Fiesta STs before the Cougar (a '55 in blue and a facelift '06 in red) - both from new. I must say the facelift model is lightyears ahead of the previous version with a lot more kit. They really are fantastic pocket rockets.

Funnily enough my reason for getting rid of the ST was practicality! Sure you can get 5 in the car but its a heck of a squeeze and there's no comparison for boot size to the Cougar. At the time I was doing a lot of long distance driving to Cornwall and the ST was hard work - the suspension was too hard for a comfortable journey (not being an old man here, I'm only 27 lol).

Speaking from experience if you're swapping from a V6 I don't think you'll notice a difference in fuel economy - the ST is free revving and I rarely got above 32mpg (and I don't have a lead foot at all). I'd also look carefully at the insurance as I've found the Cougar to be a lot cheaper for my circumstances.

Just my 2 cents - I totally understand the desire to have something more modern with fewer niggles (and rust) but there are other cars in the Ford family I'd put money on if you want something fun and practical.