Cougar #2

D

DaveH

Cougar #1 has miserably failed its MOT and has joined the land of either being repaired or spares - depening on what the garage I bought it from does with it.

T151 NAD - if you see it, thats mine - it had about £800 worth of repairs due!

Cougar #2 has now been purchased on the same day that Cougar #1 failed:

X707 VAR - anyone seen it before? Purchased from a garage in Cardiff

Its in pretty nice condition except the paintwork on the right hand side which looks like its been resprayed, badly (or has been left until it got into a really bad way)

Anyway, heres some pics, let me know what you think on the paintwork -

13ym9a8.jpg

sc964l.jpg

j58h06.jpg

jacsp3.jpg

Looks like an accident repair with a pretty shoddy spray job, from the photos it looks almost like a matt finish! I don't know whether it can be rescued with wet and dry and t-cut or similar, there's quite a few people on here who do painting and/or detailing who may be able to give a better assessment.

looks like tidy car, maybe try machine polishing it ?

I was tempted to buy a machine polisher from halfrauds as they are on offer, but I'm not sure if this would make it worse!

That paintwork is terrible, as already been advised - looks definitely like a bodged repair job. A machine polish won't hurt it. You need to buy some decent polish with some type of cutting compound in it (not T-Cut colour polishes) - Autoglym do a good range. You will need to spend alot of time on it and will need a few goes before it's looking any better. Does the paintwork feel rough to the touch? If so, you could try some 2000 wet & dry paper with plenty of luke warm water - but don't rub too hard.

I've done a quick check on your car and it had advised that it's had 7 owners - that's alot of owners in a 10 year period - does that correspond with the V5 Doc's ??? According to "Checkit" the car has never been an insurance write off, so that's a good thing.

Best of luck with this one - shame about Coug No.1 though :cry:. Cheers, Tim

That paintwork is terrible, as already been advised - looks definitely like a bodged repair job. A machine polish won't hurt it. You need to buy some decent polish with some type of cutting compound in it (not T-Cut colour polishes) - Autoglym do a good range. You will need to spend alot of time on it and will need a few goes before it's looking any better. Does the paintwork feel rough to the touch? If so, you could try some 2000 wet & dry paper with plenty of luke warm water - but don't rub too hard.

I've done a quick check on your car and it had advised that it's had 7 owners - that's alot of owners in a 10 year period - does that correspond with the V5 Doc's ??? According to "Checkit" the car has never been an insurance write off, so that's a good thing.

Best of luck with this one - shame about Coug No.1 though :cry:. Cheers, Tim

Hi Tim,

Yep its had 7 owners which is as you say quite alot! Unfortunately given my timescale for purchasing a replacement I didn't have too much choice about which cougar to get! The only other one in the area was a CAT-D insurance write off, which was priced at £400 more!

I'll resize the images later on at work!

Just to clarify I don't have #1 anymore - its been sold to the garage I bought the new one from.

The paintwork feels like a Matte finish - its not quite rough, it literally feels as it looks!