Cougar prices on the rise...

WildV6

Well-known user
Feb 2, 2008
Devon, UK
Hey guys, just see this up for auction at Mathewson's up in Yorkshire. I knew prices were on the increase...but by that amount??

What are your thoughts??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_153158_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_153158_Facebook.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: LLC02
The price of a thing only counts when you want to sell it.

Some Very Bad Things would have to happen for me to sell Wildcat so I don't really care what she's worth per se, but what's interesting is what the increase in prices implies:

1) We were always rare, and we're getting more so. We're refining back to the ones with owners who will go to any length to maintain.
2) People are seeing the Cougar and not seeing it as a years' worth of "cheap sportiness" anymore.

As a caveat, this is an auction price, not a private sale, so although it seems like the trend is upwards it might not indicate anything.

We all know what our cars are worth to us, unfortunately by the time the rest of the world wakes up most will have gone to scrape, now I'm not trying to say our cars should be worth silly money but if the second hand prices had been better less would have been scrapped, plus side is our cars are rare on the road so gain a lot of admiring looks and enquiries, second hand parts are cheap, but the main in the street seems to think because they are rare they are worth big money so probably some jealous tike will run a key down your motor or nick it to joy ride in before trashing it, big money will go to low mileage well maintained stock cars.

just glad i got my 2 when i did, a decent one is now out of my price range..
my advise ,don't sell unless your absolutely sure u no longer want one.

im thinking that something is happening to the second hand car market tho.
been to a few car sale forecourts as a friends daughter wants a fezza sized car and noticed a definite rise in most car prices ,especially the small ones.

Yup. Prices are on the increase Paul. The Mondeo's are now making silly money. What should be a £3k car are now selling for between £5k to £6k, especially the Titanium X Sports like mine.
just glad i got my 2 when i did, a decent one is now out of my price range..
my advise ,don't sell unless your absolutely sure u no longer want one.

im thinking that something is happening to the second hand car market tho.
been to a few car sale forecourts as a friends daughter wants a fezza sized car and noticed a definite rise in most car prices ,especially the small ones.

Reactions: shirtyzeus
Spoke to a few dealers and they said during COVID not many new cars were being made so people have tended to hold onto there cars and even if buying new second hand car supply is low hence the demand and price increase 😵‍💫

Reactions: mabo
It’s all true.
Due to the shortage of chips from China which became a problem during Covid and continued long after we dealt with it ( ‘Cos our vaccine worked and the China ones were much less effective ) combined with Chinas‘ “ No Covid“ total lock down policy.
The world wide shortage of computer chips meant new cars were in limited supply. Supply and demand economics says scarce stuff costs more. So new car prices were not discounted. This had the knock on effect of increasing used car prices because less used cars got traded in against the new purchase.
Used cars also became scarce and prices went up there too.
Yes, sad as it may be, I find this global economics stuff interesting.

Mabo is spot on, there's a global chip shortage which has meant 18 months + waiting lists for new cars, many people hanging on to theirs for longer means a very strong used car market. Due to this many manufacturers are only selling high profit models, which has led to Ford for example now only offering SUVs in their new car catalogue. Also with a move from diesel and the majority of 10 year old cars being diesel, all petrols are sky high in price regardless of age. That also teamed with high scrap prices. A scrap car is like £400 now.

Reactions: anthony grishmann
Just checked auction results and they must have agreed a price after the auction as it didn't sell on the day, went for £2800 which isn't bad but will have to take commission off that 😵‍💫
Auction Search

Reactions: David`
You also have to pay commission for selling as well 😵‍💫
Post automatically merged:

Which looking on the site for that price range is 7.5 percent plus vat.

• Wow
Reactions: shirtyzeus