Cougar Purchasing advice

Peb32

New user
Jul 17, 2012
essex
HI there

Im going to view a X reg cougar tomorrow night. Its only £450. 2.5 V6 silver 101.038 miles. Its in need of a dam good valet and clean up. Ive had two Cougars before both2.0 and 2.5 but both were manual. This one is auto and i dont know anything about how good, bad or reliable the auto gearboxes are. Any advice would be appreciated. Im taking it for a spin tomorrow eve so anything to be mindful of re the auto box again would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

unfortunately i dont know much about the auto box, others may be able to advise, my advice is to check the sills as when they really go, you are looking at a bodge job or 2 new sills at 277, each side from ford and 2 days labour to fit, also the wishbones are 300-400 to get replaced, so check the front suspension. good luck with the drive, there are still some good uns to be had.

Auto is great, slow to change at times if not in sport mode but a very relaxing smooth driving car.

If you like to "drive" a car and give it some stick forget the auto but if it's for normal day to day driving then it's great I used one for 3 months recently and driving locally was getting 25mpg +

JJ

Torque converter is the weak point apparently, I have an auto for everyday use and as Jas says they are a smooth drive, cruise is good too

On a run from Manchester to castleford the auto returned 44mpg which axed me lol. I don't think many have had issues with torque converter it's like anything it needs to be looked after I would be changing fluid in it if I bought one for piece of mind though.

JJ

I have owned 2 Auto cougars, In fact the one i have now is auto, I love them, I used to drive round the M25 daily and hated ever second of it, and that's the reason i went for a auto..
I can't fault it, not bad on fuel 36-38mpg on a run.. easy round town, and in sport mode not too far behind a manual cougar.. actually not much in it at all...
Just look for the standard weak points on a cougar, and when you drive it, if the auto box changes smooth and no hesitation etc then not much to worry about.. (y)

Excellent thanks for the advice. Both Cougars i previously owned had problems with leaking power steering fluid, many a day spent in halfords. Im a complete novice when it comes to cars, what are the main weak points to look at?

Thanks

Pete

Excellent thanks for the advice. Both Cougars i previously owned had problems with leaking power steering fluid, many a day spent in halfords. Im a complete novice when it comes to cars, what are the main weak points to look at?

Thanks

Pete

Even for a novice, subscription to the club will open the best manual for the cougar you could ever own.
Everything you need to know is either in here or can be told and or helped with, Cougars are common for power-steering leaks now as they are getting on a little, but we have a member that does a fantastic stainless replacement cooler for less than 1/8 of the Ford price, and will last much longer..
Anyway welcome and i hope that the car you go to see is a good one.. and will give you many a mile of smiles.. :)

usual, check oil for creamy residue, possible head gasket failure. not sure about auto , not sure if auto has an imrc, check rear arches for rust/corrosion, not so bad on front as wing can be removed/change, rears can not.check engine on turnover, no knocks/bangs as bottom end bearing may be on way out, which is new engine or rebuild. there willl be other bits , sure others will add, (y)

usual, check oil for creamy residue, possible head gasket failure. not sure about auto , not sure if auto has an imrc, check rear arches for rust/corrosion, not so bad on front as wing can be removed/change, rears can not.check engine on turnover, no knocks/bangs as bottom end bearing may be on way out, which is new engine or rebuild. there willl be other bits , sure others will add, (y)

Auto's have the same set up as a manual apart from gears chap, IMRC present.. (y)