Cougars and Caravans

And also, if you should ever be pulled by VOSA and weighed in, the weights you all refer to are inclusive of luggage, passengers etc. So if you can drive 3500kg, that's TOTAL road weight not stationary.

Yes they are MAM weights,

I could easily tow a plant trailer with my galaxy, and the plant trailer could only weigh 300kg, but I'd still be done as the max permisible weight of the plant trailer would be 1500kg or something like that. so it would take me over the 3500kg even though it is empty. It's the maximum it could possibly carry.

So even though I have managed to get a carvan and car combination which is 3490kg in reality most of the time the total weight will be about 2500kg

I remember a certain Mr Shaylor talking about a trailer caravan for fest........................

JJ

I have had no problems towing the caravan with my Cougar........even from the sleepy, tired, cold & stiff campers at the 'fest!!!!!

icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Procomm
I can clarify the regs, without B+E your not allowed to tow a caravan, also if you dont have provisional for B+E then you cant tow with L plates on either

Towing caravans

As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.

THE LAW AND TOWING A CARAVAN,TRAILER OR HORSEBOX

a draft proposal the EU court in Brussels aims to harmonize European driving licenses by 1997.

This would mean that any new driver buying a caravan weighing more than 0.75 tonnes (the majority of modern vans) would also have to take a further practical driving test. Also in the proposals, those new drivers would have to undergo a minimum seven hours of training with a qualified instructor, before attempting a practical test pulling a 1,000Kg caravan.

That's completley wrong mate, common mistake by lots of people who have only read the first half of the legislation - take a look at the link I posted before. You can tow a caravan of upto 750kg *OR* a max permissible combined weight of 3500kg, so without any further tests a 17 year who has just passed their test could tow a 1500kg caravan with a cougar.

Well thats how i got endorsed on my licence with 6 points and had a rather hefty fine and i was only towing a 75KG box trailer, I dont like going to court so I wont tow again until I gat my +E (y)

Yep the date was 1997 that it changed, before then you get "grandad rights" which lets you tow anything. Since then you get restricted.

Procomm you should have gone to court, the police would have got laughed out and probably sent on some extra training! 75kg sounds very light though I would have thought that was the unladen weight. You need to base it on the max permissible weight - the only problem with small trailers is that sometimes they don't have a plate and therefore don't have a max weight therefore you end up in a grey area.

I would contest that as well!! I passed in 1999 and am limited to 3,500 kg on my licence with provisional B+E entitlement and I can tow up to 750kg.. And i've been pulled and weighed by VOSA before towing and didnt have a single problem..