Custom cougar dials fitted with silver sprayed needles

gav

Well-known user
Sep 5, 2009
Swindon / Aldershot
Finally had some time to my self so decided i'd fit them at last!

SDC12390.jpg

SDC12394.jpg

SDC12396.jpg

Nice dials there mate. From what I remember it looks like the red bit of the needles looks like it could be a separate part that with care you could remove

the glow of the dials is spot on. Don't think the font is my own personal cup of tea - but so long as you like it, thats all that matters.

Thats just how i want my digital displays to look, how did you get them so blue. So far i've had my dash out two times and counting but still not as good as yours, first i replaced the colour film to ice blue and used clear lamps but although this was a nice indiglo it was no match , then i replaced the bulbs with blue ones but this has now made seeing the display in daylight nearly nil, and when in the dark they are still not blue.

Looking smart now Gav (y) well done mate.
For anybody else thinking of having a go at this (needles) they do separate. The red part is attached with plastic welded pins and look like a tiny rivet head. You need to nip the head off, i use a new modelling knife for this. Lift the red section out of the needle by levering at the point of balance and be carefull not to lose the small counter balance weight at the short end.
As the red part lifts out, you need to draw it back as it is fitted into a slot at the sharp end.
Spray the needles and when dry, re-insert the red parts and counter balance weights. I also use a drop of polystyrene cement (plastic modelling glue) on the pins to be sure of everything staying secure once re-fitted.

Next time, i'll take some piccies.

This post has gone to the "HOW-TO" section (y)

Cheers for spraying the needles for me Al they finish off the dials great! :) (y)

As for the blue LCD screens John i guess i just got lucky first time round! I replaced the inserts with gloss photo paper :giggle:
The leds i got from ebay! T4 is the size of them IIRC!
Hope this helps u John

Oh and if anyone wants a spare set of needles to try spraying on so dont have to go without needles i have a spare set! Offers welcome

Cheers for spraying the needles for me Al they finish off the dials great! :) (y)

As for the blue LCD screens John i guess i just got lucky first time round! I replaced the inserts with gloss photo paper :giggle:
The leds i got from ebay! T4 is the size of them IIRC!
Hope this helps u John

Gloss photo paper? What do you mean? Please explain in words of limited syllables to the thick bloke... And do you have a link for the eBay LEDs (should be in your feedback history)? I didn't really want to go down the blue lighting route as I actually like the standard green, but as the dials are blue lit (and so is my head unit as it happens) then I may as well go the whole hog.

Behind the LCD displays are a thin sheet of white plastic with a green filter on other side for the green light so if you replace with blue leds they turn turquoise!
There is a how to on here somewhere for changing the small pieces of thin plastic! I jus trial and errored! You need to take the filters out and replace with something so i used printer photo paper as it was something i had handy at home and cut to size.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-T3-T4-T5-Neo-Wedge-Spark-Blue-Dash-LED-Bulbs-/200474824656?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ead3b0fd0#ht_2063wt_1165

Was ages ago when bought these so not on my ebay history anymore but these are deffo the ones i used! I thought it was T4's that u need but from looking at the pic i think it is T5!

Hope this helps you Relliot?

Cheers Stribo!

As the leds i bought are blue i didnt need a filter on the paper so just used plain photo paper!
Not sure about how many! but i think these are only used for the LCD screens so only 2!
To do all buttons and HVAC u need 3mm leds and resistors! Quite a lot but they are cheap in packs of around 50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-50-Super-Blue-LED-7k-10kmcd-3mm-free-S-H-/140409248863?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b10b1c5f#ht_1029wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-1-5K-Ohm-0-25w-Carbon-Resistors-1-4w-Resistor-1K5-/120525993646?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c0fe8b6ae#ht_946wt_939