diesel conversion

new engine, new entire fuel system for a guess, indicator lights for diesel related parts e.g. glow plugs...it would potentially cost more than you could ever save in the long run

You would most likely have trouble with the instruments as the Mondeo clocks are specific between the diesel and petrol models. That would be the least of your worries though :LOL:

If you're looking at saving cash on fuel - go for an LPG conversion (y)

I'm with Everton. A decent LPG conversion will set you back somewhere in the region of £1500, a lot of money but less than the price of a new(er) car. Whether you ever recoup that outlay in fuel cost savings depends entirely on how long you keep the car and how many miles you do. I'm sure someone on here a while back though worked out that the average punter would break even and then start seeing savings within around 12-18 months.

Thanks guys for the replys as said in post a buddy thinking about it as a sorta challenge and project. that he could do in his own time at and no rush .was thinking the same lines bout a mondy mk2 myself the pugo option would stray away from the ford which i think would be a nogo plus a step up in road tax bracket as some of ye are aware that we get bent over a barrel here the 2lt is near 600 euro per year to tax just to drive in potholes lol, but its a idea as to see if it could be done once again tks

would be nice to have the economy of a diseasal with the looks of a cougar, but for the change its not worth it (think thai mail order brides) It will always look good but have the hidden horrible feeling of a diseasal (penis in the case of the thai bride) and cost you more money in the long term.

Funnily enough I have been thinking about buying another Coug with a duff engine and then transplant my TDDi engine from my Mondy Mk3, as it uses the same MTX75 gearbox. Yes, the dashboard would need some work, but if I utilise the wiring loom and ECU module from the Mondy then I'm pretty sure it could be done. Was thinking about this rather than doing the necessary repair work on the body of the Mondy. Then would have a complete one-off, a Coug with the good looks of a coupe and the economy of the diesel (50mpg!!)

ok ok ok costs of fuel both petrol and diesel are getting a bit outa hand at the mo sure there are oil burners out there that have a very good return in mpg or to be politically correct km,s /ltr plus that some have a strong bhp not to mention low down grunt and that some return up to and exceed 70 mpg . i,ve always been a petrol head but one has to think out side the box now and again . On another note whats the cost there on fuel here its averaging 1.52 petrol /1.45 diesel per ltr?

It might take a couple years to amortise the cost of a Diesel conversion, but if someone wants to stump up the cash to try it, I am absolutely in support of the attempt. I think it's a great idea as a long-term project.