Drink Driving is wrong!

ginja

Well-known user
Sep 20, 2004
Atherstone, North Warwickshire
Well we all know Drink Driving is a no no (but i'm sure we all do it) but at this time of year its a certainty you could end up in a world of hurt, like the guy who crashed near our pub.

It would seam the person in question drove down the Old Warwick Road (opposite the pub, Warthog will know which one) at speed about 3 - 4 am on Saturday morning, pissed as a fart! :eek:As you may all know Saturday was very frosty (about -4 deg in Solihull) and he must have hit some ice, span the car, bounced off a bollard at the side of the road and then crashed into a sign at the side of the road, knocking it over. Apparently he was taken to hospital, but your guess is as good as mine if he is still alive? :confused:
The car is a total right off as you can see from the pics, it was a VW Polo and had been modified quite a bit with small Euro look alloys, Yokohama rubber, bucket seats* etc. (The Police we suspect had removed any items from the vehicle that would be stolen straight away, including the Number Plates, Tax Disc, Gear Knob, Stereo etc.) *if anything these mods may have saved his life?

It was taken away by a scrap merchant about 4pm on the same day.

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02593.jpg

DSC02594.jpg

So be carefull out there people

(but i'm sure we all do it)

Well theres one here that definately does not Matt, I learned my lesson 15 years ago. I won't even drink half a pint of shandy when i'm driving. I received an early morning ticket, on my way to work after a good session the night before. A nutcase on a motorbike decided to park his bike behind my front offside wishbones (cortina mk5) he flew over the bonnet and into a stone wall. Thankfully and by some miracle he was only winded. I could have left him at that point, but decided to stay till the ambulance turned up, phoned by a guy who lived close by. Well the police turned up first, asked me to sit in his car and i was breathalysed. I couldn't beleive the result, but it got me a ban for 12 months, a DR10 on my license for the next ten years to run concurrent with the ban. The accident was 100% the bikers fault ie: he drove into the side of me, but because i had been done for drink driving and therefore illegally driving my car, i should not have been there in anycase. So i was deemed at fault. The money, the costs, the ban, having to sell a car i cherished, i could handle. What i couldn't handle was the fact that i had now been labelled with a tag i despised "Drink Driving"
My episode was all innocently done, i was completely ignorant to the fact that the alcohol i had in my system from the night before could still be used against me.
This guy, obviously has gone out on a bender, thinks his name is Colin Mcrea, hurtling down country roads, frosty snow covered roads! and he has slipped off the road and hit a few bollards and signs. Lets just be thankfull that he wasn't in a town centre somewhere at a busy time of day and that those bollards weren't human beings.

No, I NEVER DRINK and DRIVE, it's just not worth it.

Well we all know Drink Driving is a no no (but i'm sure we all do it)

Sorry Matt, but I have never and never will drink and drive. I won't even have one - it's totally stupid and irrisponsible! I'm also in training to be a Police Officer, so it's a great big NO! NO! Any idiot who gets into any vehicle after a drink needs a good slapping and then stopped from driving ever again!! I know this may seem harsh - but I have seen the poor victims of mindless idiots! not nice!

Here here. I've attended some pretty gruesome drink drive accidents, it's not pretty and the mental images stay with you - period. It's rarely the driver themselves that gets hurt either, usually someone completely innocent.

well once i drove after a lot of vodka, but that was a life or death situation. We were camping +canoing in this summer (public place) and suddenly one guy from other company (no one knows where he came from) started a fight with our girls...:mad5::mad5: Then we gave him back:dita:, he called for friends:yikes: - we got to run away... So durring all this situation, i guess adrenaline helped me sober - i took the wheel. Luckily that wasn't a long journey, only few KM to other camp in private field. Everybody went safe with no problems. BUT I WILL NEVER DRIVE A CAR DRUNK IN OTHER SITUATION... AND YOU SHOULDN'T TO IT TOO.:hand:

well once i drove after a lot of vodka, but that was a life or death situation. We were camping +canoing in this summer (public place) and suddenly one guy from other company (no one knows where he came from) started a fight with our girls...:mad5::mad5: Then we gave him back:dita:, he called for friends:yikes: - we got to run away... So durring all this situation, i guess adrenaline helped me sober - i took the wheel. Luckily that wasn't a long journey, only few KM to other camp in private field. Everybody went safe with no problems. BUT I WILL NEVER DRIVE A CAR DRUNK IN OTHER SITUATION... AND YOU SHOULDN'T TO IT TOO.:hand:

Could have very easily been death.

Could have very easily been death.

Yup, I agree - what he should have done was to have called the Police, rather than jump into the car intoxicated and drive away.

Yup, I agree - what he should have done was to have called the Police, rather than jump into the car intoxicated and drive away.

we called the police, actually girls went to police office while we were trying to stop the fight.(none of the cops bothered to come and check the real situation, when girls rang them) So after half hour police came to the place, we wrote a statement about that guy. While we were writing this - he menace us in open language, i'll beat you all up and so on... (police took no action about that), and after a long discussion and persuasion, police arrested him. Guess what happens next? after 15min, cops bing him back as he promised to be good:mad2::mad2: so police goes away - that guy calls his friends... .. we really dont wanted to wait for more action... that was enough.

But believe me, i never though that i can sober so fast, or at least i though and felt like i am, or maybe adrenaline has made some influence. While i was driving in this condition - 3x attention to the road comparing to the usual driving habit. But after all i wish i should never do this again...

Possibly going to upset you here Matt, but that is the type of comment that does get under my skin a little bit.

We don't all drink drive, in fact i detest it - as its a choice thing. You have a drink then drive, you have made the choice to drive.

I have to clear up the mess on an all-too regular basis of the aftermath of crashes, many of which are caused by drink drivers.

On too many occasions, I have to knock on some-one's door and tell them their son/daughter etc is in hospital or even worse they have passed away.

I don't label all drink drivers as bad people, far from it, but its an offence as a police officer I will never ever tolerate and actively look to take drink drivers off the road.

Good people do make mistakes, but that does not make it right...see Pid's post. He is a good person, and I am sure it was genuine ignorance on his part about the levels in his body the day after. Nevertheless as he found to his detiment, alcohol can hang about for quite a while.

People often ask me, how much can i drink then drive legally. My answer is drink nothing, then there is no room for excuse.

The most i have ever drunk then driven on is a pint of shandy.

All you have got to do is think 'what if' someone close to you was injured or killed by a drunk driver.....what would your reaction be?

The highest reading someone has given after I have arrested them is 171 microgrmames per 100 ml of breath 5times the limit of. At the station he blew 175 - so his reading was going up. He went to jail for that and quite rightly so.

Six weeks into my career as a police officer I was first on scene to a 7 year old who was killed crossing the road - the person that hit her....drunk four times over the limit.

The images i saw that day will haunt me forever

Last edited:
Well we all know Drink Driving is a no no (but i'm sure we all do it)

What a weird comment to make, does that mean you, or your mates do it? :confused:

I personally don't know anyone who does, but would give em an earful if i did :eek:ut:

I can't say that I have never been over the limit the morning after, but I have never knowingly drank more than the prescribed limit and got in my car and driven on a public road. I will occasionally have a pint of shandy at the beginning of the night if I am not going to drive for a few hours but generally, I stick to soft drinks.

Like others, I'd prefer not to drink if I have the car with me. I can't say I've ever been that bladdered that I've even thought it was a good idea to drive. I think that's just an excuse people make when they realise they've been a twit (i=a).

The risk from driving slightly over the limit, as I see it, is losing my driving license (which I utterly depend on).

Saying all that, my best man crashed into a house on the way back from my wedding reception because he was drunk. He was not popular!

have to agree with everyone matt sorry
but i have NEVER driven my car after i've had a drink
its just bloody stupid its not only the driver who can get killed
but its other road users and pedestrians too
if i drive on a night out i wont even have a shandy
soft drinks all the way for drivers (y)

I can't afford to drink and drive. Being a HGV driver my lisense is my livelyhood and i wouldn't do it even if it wasn't :nonod:. It's just bloody stupid.

Having had my eldest son hit by drunk driver ( who was also a workmate ! ) one sunday dinner time, i'm afraid i believe there shouldn't be any limit, you just shouldn't have any drink or drugs when driving !. Fortunately, my son being 11 at the time, bounced instead of breaking, but there are many who arn't as lucky.

I can't afford to drink and drive. Being a HGV driver my lisense is my livelyhood and i wouldn't do it even if it wasn't :nonod:. It's just bloody stupid.
we are randomly breath tested, you would be shocked at the amount of staff still on border line when they turn up for duty! I have not been a fan of alcohol for many years it often makes decent folk into assholes!worked amongst it too long.:mad5: