Few pics of my snowed under cougar...

You may well mock Tim, when Alan & Me went to school none of our parents had cars, school buses were unheard of, none of us had central heating in our homes and most of us had outside toilets, we were probably tougher kids then, I can remember still having to wear short trousers for school in the winter, which probably looked comical under a duffle coat and a balaclava :LOL: and of course there were no such things as computers or calculators, a pencil sharpener was about as high tech as it got, and yes at my first school we used a slate and a chalk, I can remember the first time we had an overhead projector at school, we were amazed.

Heres a couple of pics from 63;

roadgang with shovels
winter63.jpg

road dug into the snow
winter632.jpg

stranded
winter634.jpg

frozen sea
winter633.jpg

Short trousers and wellies, balaclava with the obligatory snotter :LOL:
Chapped knees :confused: yes, really! how often do you hear that now?
I remember opening our back door one moning to go to the toilet, yes, at the end of the yard. As i opened the door, i was faced with a five foot wall of snow. My dad had to dig a way through with a coal shovel. When i finally made it to the toilet, it was frozen solid, absolutely solid, i did my pee and watched it gradually form a haze, as that froze to the already frozen water.
Also remember going out sledging, i had so many layers on, i could hardly move, but i still only had shorts on :confused: very strange. Hot-aches was guaranteed everytime you ventured outside :LOL:

Yes indeed Alan, chapped inner thighs, very painfull, :sad: believe me Tim the old days were not as good as you would like to think, central heating, loft insulation & double glazing are a miracle from the Gods. :yesnod:

Oh, ...and we didn't have a fridge either, so when we had this weather, we used to fill a glass or egg cup with pop, dip a stick in it and take it outside and leave it on the window ledge to freeze :LOL:

I have to drive from Chichester to Farnborough and it only took me an exytra 30 mins........yet when I get here, all my work colleages that only live 20 - 30 mins away haven't made it in !!!! :eek:ut:

If you drive slowly and safely then I just dont know what the prob is.

Mind you, couldn't get into a parking space at work as they were all buried 1ft deep in snow so I just took a run up and drove into a big snow bank and left it there !!! :LOL:

My poor traction control was smoking!

Anyhow, all fun and games and as usual, a complete embaresment to other more colder European Nations.

Whilst I am having a rant, I wonder if all my friends that think I am mad for not beleiving in global warming will still think I am mad?

GLOBAL WARMING??.....MY ARSE! :LOL:
Strange as it may sound Paul but increasingly lower temperatures in the UK will be down to Global Warming...:confused: the reason being is that the extra heat melts the ice cap this then falls into the sea which in turn is then both diluted (as Ice is fresh-water) and cooled, now in the North Atlantic this will have a detremental effect on the Gulf Stream which in the end will stop functioning and ciculating the the cold Northern waters with the Southern warmer waters (near the equator) so the climate in the north will continue till in the end we are in a new ice age!

(i'm waiting for comfomation from the resident boffin, Mr Duff now :LOL:)

Strange as it may sound Paul but increasingly lower temperatures in the UK will be down to Global Warming...:confused: the reason being is that the extra heat melts the ice cap this then falls into the sea which in turn is then both diluted (as Ice is fresh-water) and cooled, now in the North Atlantic this will have a detremental effect on the Gulf Stream which in the end will stop functioning and ciculating the the cold Northern waters with the Southern warmer waters (near the equator) so the climate in the north will continue till in the end we are in a new ice age!

Okidoki!
If "Global warming" is responsible for these "in comparison" very mild temperatures, What the hell caused the proper winters of years gone by, pre- auto engines, pre-internal combustion, pre-industrial revolution , shall i go on . We must have grown up in times of "Global BOILING" :incazzato:

Icermanz, what have you done? :LOL:

This was me last Thursday:
29012009040.jpg

Just spent the last week in Val Thorens, the highest snow resort in europe! Left of friday the 23rd got back on sat 31st, 27 hour bus journey from Glasgow,

Went with 84 folk from Uni, so was a bit of a messy week, hence the hair doo!! It was a result of late night drinking games last monday.

Some points the temp reach -28C with the wind chill factor.

I think we all missed the slopes so much the snow has came back with us for a visit. Dont know if im glad to see the snow or if it makes me miss it even more.

Not to put a damper on this but I also remember going to school in the snow and we are talking about 12" plus in the early to late 80's (i see today its the worse since 1990) and we only got sent home/told not to go etc. if the boiler at school was broke! It does make me wonder as Alan said earlyer, what about all these 4x4's surely thats what they were designed for ..... in the past it was a good way to earn a few quid pulling stranded motorists out of the thick of it.
I guess now with H&S and the Compensation culture we live in it would be highly un-cost effective to let the children go out in the cold, can you imagine the court cases ;) :LOL:

Don't stop the Northern Europeans or the Americans and they have it a lot worse than we do :LOL:

That's my understanding too Matt, but I believe it would be more of a switching event rather than a gradual drop in temperatures at these latitudes. By that I mean the experts* reckon the Gulfstream would shut down rapidly, as it would be a snowballing event - cold fresh water from melting icepacks dilutes warm salt water, reduces Gulf Stream flow which drops temperatures, which reduces Gulf Stream flow further etc etc.

Don't think it's what we're experiencing today though! I think this is nothing other than the result of a chilly wind from Russia :LOL:

Heard supermarkets are next on the list to get targetted. Their fridges commonly use a greenhouse gas which is very harmful. The authorities are considering a ban on the gas for non-essential purposes. They say one bucket full of this gas does as much damage to the climate as 145,000 miles of typical driving.

Whilst I'm not about to jump on the tree-hugging band wagon, I don't think burning copious amounts of fossil fuels will ultimately do us any good as far as the climate is concerned. Clean electricity and hydrogen cars for everyday commuting has to be a good thing in the long term (y)

*Which I definately am not on this topic!

My car minutes ago,

02022009083.jpg

Note the car aint moved in nearly two weeks, brakes are gonna be well seize on, this weather aint helping the rusty discs.