Hello From Durham :)

Wogans_Wig

Well-known user
Mar 15, 2010
Durham
Hi all!

Just become a Cougar owner for the second time.

Recently out of a long term relationship with a Mk II Mondeo Zetec S with RS kit and when it came round to looking for a new motor there was only one choice!

I registered on here the other day just before the site shut down for maintenance so waited before saying hello.

The Cougar is a V6 in silver and is the X-Pack model. I got her from ebay and it took a little while to track down a decent one that was within my budget. Collected her on Monday night and had to drive the 80-odd miles home with the windows open. The previous owner must have smoked cats or something because it was lifting. Halfway up the motorway I discovered the ashtray hadn't been emptied (the interior was a bit of a mess but not so much to show in the photos) so after a quick visit to a service station bin it was put in the boot and I continued up the road.

The folllowing evening after work was spent emptying rubbish from under the seats and under the boot carpet - the best part of a bin-bag full - and giving her a vac and a wipe down inside. The Magic tree is helping but a full valet including steam clean will be carried out this weekend. I'm just glad it has the leather seats or I may have hovered all the way home. Mucky buggers. Also the parcel shelf is tatty with a missing pin but I've already got a new one ready to collect at the weekend.

Exterior isn't too bad - I've seen worse - but could do with a little attention. The worst points being a hand-sized scuff on the passenger door which I think is just beyond polishing out, and the rear wing appears to have been re-sprayed by an angry three-year-old with Stevie Wonder pointing out the bits he's missed. Does anyone know if the wing is easily removed (i.e. bolts behind the trim on the tailgate) if so I would rather remove it and take it to the local body shop than lose it for a couple of days while it's being done. Other than that the laquer is peeling a little on the filler flap & there are a few little dings and stone chips which have been touched up. The front grill has been replaced with go-faster mesh and a new one will be getting sourced soon.
She's running on aftermarket 17" rims aty the moment and while aftermarket styling has never really been my cup of tea they're not too bad. If they clean up ok I might keep them, otherwise I'll be on the lookout for a decent set of originals.

Mechanically she seems sound, though I do have a moose under the bonnet - what is the best fix for this? I've heard cleaning the IAC valve works but is this something I'll have to do every week? If so would it be best to just replace it?

Anyway, hello from Durham, and I'll see you all at the shows this summer :)

Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the club mate. It sounds as though the previous owners didn't care for it much but i'm sure it'll be gleaming when you've finished with it. Post up some pics when you're ready mate. Be good to see her.(y)

Hello mate welcome back to Cougar ownership (y) I think i still have a C1 ford grill with cougar logo and the rear badge aswell if you want them, will check end of next week when i go home

Hey mate, thanks for that - just let me know about the grill & badge.

Hi Paul and welcome to the club mate. It sounds as though the previous owners didn't care for it much but i'm sure it'll be gleaming when you've finished with it. Post up some pics when you're ready mate. Be good to see her.(y)

Hey mate. It was a bit of a mess, but luckily it's all pretty much just muck and not really any damage through neglect. I'll get some pics up after she's been given a good clean. Looking at the rims on your pic, I think they're the ones I have too.

Hi and welcome to ukcougar.com, your in the right place for all things cougar related, as well as some crazy banter. You will also be able to find all the fixes you need in our subscriber sections. Have a browse around the open forums and get a feel for the place, maybe pay a visit to the OFS. Remember! ukcougar.com is the only workshop manual for the big cat.

Just looked at the link, yup that's them. They have Cougar inserts in the centre though. The previous owner said he got them from the States.

Me too :smilewinkgrin:
Garagepic009.jpg

Got my badges from here Paul

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/us_spec_ford_cougar_head_grille_emblem_18.htm

hi paul, not too far from you, welcome to the club, you will find they are a ggod bunch on here, there is a multi forum meet at scotch corner on sunday week, capricougar has a link, there is a few cats driving down, you would be more than welcome, :)

the rear wing appears to have been re-sprayed by an angry three-year-old with Stevie Wonder pointing out the bits he's missed. Does anyone know if the wing is easily removed (i.e. bolts behind the trim on the tailgate)
Unfortunately it's not 'bolt on' it's a complete rear quarter panel that needs welding on!! :sad:
I know that because mine was 't-boned' last year, no quick fix.

By the by.............WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE

Unfortunately it's not 'bolt on' it's a complete rear quarter panel that needs welding on!! :sad:
I know that because mine was 't-boned' last year, no quick fix.

By the by.............WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE

Bad choice of terminology - my bad - meant the rear spoiler :-$ Thanks for the welcome!

hi paul, not too far from you, welcome to the club, you will find they are a ggod bunch on here, there is a multi forum meet at scotch corner on sunday week, capricougar has a link, there is a few cats driving down, you would be more than welcome, :)

I think I could be more than tempted as I'm down that way next Sunday - thanks!