Hello from Highworth

courtesy of topcats link: http://www.ukcougarforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11166&highlight=heater+matrix

DeGunk the heater matrix (Viakal trick)
Viakal trick - empty coolant, disconnect heater pipes from matrix to engine in engine bay, flush and backflush with pressured hose (not jetwash!), tip Viakal into one pipe (about half a bottle) followed by a cupfull of water to push it through a bit, wait several hours (overnight is good), flush and backflush matrix until water is clear both ways, reconnect water hoses to engine, refill with fresh coolant, run engine up to temp (try heater), allow to cool, top up coolant.
Crack open a cold one, knowing you will always be warm in your cat! ;-)

NB Viakal is a product name for a heavy duty descaler available in most diy and some shops (Tesco etc)

on the v6 its these 2 pipes under the throttle body, the one with the sensor in and the other to the left of it

hope this sets you away, as prev mentioned get yourself subscribed then this and a whole world of knowledge will be accessible, (y)(y)

£13 to subscribe, but it has personally saved me 10 times that,(y)
It's saved me a lot more than that, but.......................it's cost me about 350 times that......

.........in mod's!!!!
It's a very expensive place to be!! lol

"WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE THAT IS UKCOUGAR.COM"

Hello and welcome Brian. Good luck with fixing her up mate, I know it can be a bit of a grind.
Cheers for that, as the old saying goes... slowly. slowly catch a monkey. Will get there in the end, all being well.

It's saved me a lot more than that, but.......................it's cost me about 350 times that......

.........in mod's!!!!
It's a very expensive place to be!! lol

"WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE THAT IS UKCOUGAR.COM"
Going to do my best to be faithful to original spec. I say that now but no doubt will get carried away at some point!

courtesy of topcats link: http://www.ukcougarforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11166&highlight=heater+matrix

Viakal trick - empty coolant, disconnect heater pipes from matrix to engine in engine bay, flush and backflush with pressured hose (not jetwash!), tip Viakal into one pipe (about half a bottle) followed by a cupfull of water to push it through a bit, wait several hours (overnight is good), flush and backflush matrix until water is clear both ways, reconnect water hoses to engine, refill with fresh coolant, run engine up to temp (try heater), allow to cool, top up coolant.

NB Viakal is a product name for a heavy duty descaler available in most diy and some shops (Tesco etc)

on the v6 its these 2 pipes under the throttle body, the one with the sensor in and the other to the left of it

hope this sets you away, as prev mentioned get yourself subscribed then this and a whole world of knowledge will be accessible, (y)(y)
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. With the info you've given, think even I can have a go at sorting the 'ice box' out. Cheers

welcome to the club. I cant extol the virtues of this place enough - £13 to subscribe will save you expensive visits to the garage.

And I bet you dont keep it standard

welcome to the club. I cant extol the virtues of this place enough - £13 to subscribe will save you expensive visits to the garage.

And I bet you dont keep it standard
Thanks, you're probably right! I expect that when all the issues are dealt with, will find it hard not to carry on tinkering.

Popped down to my local motor factors outlet today and picked up some antifreeze in readiness for an attempt at a fix. Just a couple of questions...
I had a look at a picture of a new cat matrix and notice both inlet and outlets appear to be situated at the top of the matrix, or are these actually at the bottom when in situ? Not quite sure how to go about the flushing... Is it actually necessary to drain the entire cooling system? I only say this because I have just had the coolant replenished and don't quite see how the matrix would fully drain if this were done? Also, I take it the flushing/back flushing is done directly via the matrix in/outlets? Am I then right in assuming that the addition of the descaler forces it's way into the matrix and is further helped along by the cup of water? As I said before my diy skills are somewhat basic! If I do have to drain the entire system, would this be done via a radiator drain tap/plug? On the subject of using Viakal... actually got some KILROK.K at the motor factors. Told by a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about that this stuff is used 'in the trade' and is markedly better than anything on the high street??? Anyone ever come accross it before? Could always still buy some Viakal if this is known to do the job better? Any advice would be most appreciated guys (and gals). Would rather be a pain and ask some probably silly questions than waste my time and end up doing a duff job.

Just a quick word of advice when flushing - don't let it get into the drains, as this stuff is poisoness and needs to be disposed of both carefully and properly.

Just a quick word of advice when flushing - don't let it get into the drains, as this stuff is poisoness and needs to be disposed of both carefully and properly.
Took this fact into consideration when buying today. The KILROCK.K is both phosphate free and fully biodegradeable and as such totally safe in the drains.

Took this fact into consideration when buying today. The KILROCK.K is both phosphate free and fully biodegradeable and as such totally safe in the drains.

Cool, I was warned about this myself the other week when I spoke to my garage. Good luck with sorting it Brian.

A special thank you to dar1976 and topcat for the invaluable info and time taken to help me out. The icebox has been quickly and cheaply converted to an oven! The access to the hoses is a bit of a pain, but apart from a few knuckle grazes the job's a good un.
You may have noticed my reference to an eco friendly descaler called KILROK.K. Unlike many this product is biodegradable and phosphate free and as such is safe in the drains. I bought this in a handy 250ml bottle for £2 something and used the entire bottle. I left it in for about 2 hours and on subsequent flushing was amazed at the crud it shifted from the matrix. This stuff is brilliant!!! Such a delight to drive a hot cat now... well chuffed.
Once again, many thanks and also thanks to all the kind members who have welcomed me to the club.
Love the new look website... proper job, well done to all involved.
Cheers all, Brian