Hello from soon to be new owner

S

speckybroon

Hello all what a great site this is. I am looking for a cougar can anybody give some advice for what to look for buying common faults etc.
Many thanks speckybroon

Hi Glen, welcome, fairly new myself and the guys in here have been a great help. Someone more knowledgable is bound to be along shortly but this is what I was told to look for:-
  • wishbones- pretty much individual to the cougar so can be a bit pricey if need doing
  • check the sills running the side of car to make sure not rotting and letting water in
  • when taking for a drive, in a lower gear give it a little welly and at bout 4000 revs you should just about hear and feel an extra little kick (imrc i think its called)
  • while you;re doing the above, check the battery warning light doesnt flash on at about 5000 rpm as this could indicacate the alternators on its way out
  • if you can get one with a good service history its a huge bonus
hope this helps, and if you get one im sure you;ll love it(y)

Hi speckybroon and welcome to the home of the Cougar. If you adhere to the advice given in the previous post, you'll not go wrong. Don't just jump at the first car you think is great, there are plenty of good ones out there and I am sure you will find the one that's right for you. There are a couple of members selling their cars on here, probably a better bet than buying elsewhere.

Hi and welcome to the club (madhouse) great bunch on here and a few laughs to be had along the way,loads of info no manuals made for cougar but all the info is either in subscriber section (£13) or the members are both knowledgeable and helpful,as well as a little mad:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: as been said don't rush in there are several good bargains around, remember the old saying about haste and leisure
Tony (y)

Hi speckybroon, welcome to the forum. All the main points to look for are covered above, but also check everything electrical works on the car i.e. mirrors, seats (if it's an X pack) air con etc. Happy hunting.

while you;re doing the above, check the battery warning light doesnt flash on at about 5000 rpm as this could indicacate the alternators on its way out

I would take it up to 6k to 6.5k rpm to check if the battery light comes on but make sure the temp needle is bang in the middle as this isn't very kind when the engine's cold.

Good luck with the search. (y)

Hello and welcome aboard Speckybroon, hope you find the right Cat for you. As the others have advised - take your time, check a few out as there are lots of examples to choose from at different prices. Re: What Jovis said about the kick down - well thats the secondaries opening up and should happen around 3500 RPM (V6, though not sure about the 2ltr Zetec?). Good luck with finding one.

Hi speckybroon & welcome to UKC.com(y).............what they said & happy hunting for your big cat, once you've bagged one, make sure you carry a loaded wallet at all times.....once this lot have seduced you with all the tasty mods on offer.;)