Hello, I'm new!

M

matsuzal

Hi everyone, I got my first Cougar last week and i really like the car. Its a 98 S reg 2.5 V6.

There is just one small niggle that is niggling me. The engine runs perfectly on tickover at idle speed but when it is pulling away, usually between idle and 2.5/3k it kangaroo's pretty badly and throws me back and forth in the seat! It doesn't do this every time, probably 50% of the time, so sometimes it pulls away perfectly.

Action for remedy so far with no avail include - new plugs, replaced leads and coil (not brand new but working order apparently) injector cleaner in 50 litres of fuel. although these did not cure the problem it behaves slightly better but still not right.

Other things which I think could be a cause are - Fuel filter (if it could be this, where is it located and how easy to replace?) MAF dirty and needing a clean (this helped my old Alfa 156) after that I'm petty stuck.

I intend on subscribing to the forum on payday but any help, advice in the meantime would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Matt.

Hello and welcome hesitation on accelerationis usually high tension related. Plugs but more often than not leads. TBH it isn't good practice to use second hand ignition leads also could be an EGR problem.

Hi and welcome, could be fuel filter. It's under the car just under the sill by off side passenger door. Just make sure if you buy a new filter they sell you the right one. It should come with two new plastic clips and the inlet and outlet pipes have bulgey bits where the clips hold the pipes on.

Hi and welcome, could be fuel filter. It's under the car just under the sill by off side passenger door. Just make sure if you buy a new filter they sell you the right one. It should come with two new plastic clips and the inlet and outlet pipes have bulgey bits where the clips hold the pipes on.

Mine was on the drivers side, just in front of the rear wheel... Jack the back up and you will see it...(y)

Fuel filter is just in front of the drivers side rear wheel mate it's a simple jubilee clip that holds the filter to the car and two flimsy plastic clips that hold the lines onto the filter.

Make sure you get a replacement filter with spare clips as they are so easy to break. It is a doddle to change this and you dont even need to jack the car up.

As Mark said 2nd hand leads are not worth the trouble so chuck some new ones in and check the plugs while your doing that and make sure they are the correct ones for the Cat as they run like **** on the wrong plugs.

Also make sure your air filter is nice and clean as well.

Final thing to look at would be the secondaries so check the IMRC is opening the secondaries around 2,500 - 3,500 revs and also look under the throttle body to make sure the connector to open the secondaries is correctly in place and moving freely.

Oh yeah welcome to the club mate.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys. And thanks for the tips so far. At the risk of sounding daft what and where is the IMRC? I've heard the term before but never known what it is. As you've guessed i'm no mechanic but I dont shirk at the prospect of a new challenge!

Hi and welcome to the club, the IMRC is what opens the secondary valves, can't remember exactly what it stands for.

If you can make it to the Donington meet this Sunday, they'll be plenty of people there to have a look, if not there's a meet at Castleford on the 7th Feb???

For any parts, casscougar's your man, he gives forum members discount on genuine Ford stuff :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

IMRC = Inlet manifold control runner. its seated under the plastic trim which has duratech 2.5l v6.

Ah yes I know it. Its got a little motor and circuitry in there hasn't it? I opened it up out of curiosity the other day. How would I tell if its working properly? As for the castleford meet, that sounds perfect as I live in leeds. :) what time and where about's is it?

Hi and welcome :smile5:
Have you tried blocking off the EGR?
would be good to eliminate that first as its an easy job and costs very little (y)