hello thinking of buying a 2.5 v6

oilburner

Forum user
Jan 27, 2010
wakefield
hello i am considering buying a 2.5 v6 probably highish milage but was wondering about the wheels they seem a little small for my liking. can you go to a 19" on the cougar and lower it also was thinking 35 profile and 235 width would i be ok with that as i would be ordering the wheels as soon as i find a car. Looking for a silver one with leather and heated front screen got about £1500 budget could go a hundered higher but would like to stick to it if poss.
what do you guys think

Hello,

You're right about the wheels. They weren't too bad 10 years ago, but nowadays they look lost. It's quite a slab-sided car as it is, with fairly huge rear wings and the little 16" wheels don't help.

19" wheels will fit, and 235mm wide tyres have been fitted with 18" wheels, though the excess of traction starts to take it's toll on the drive train as the usual clutch-protection mechanism is a bit of wheelspin.

225/40 on 18" wheels is common and safe. 19" wheels might be better kept to 215/35 or 225/35 at most, as 235/35R19 is getting rather larger than the standard rolling radius.

If they're going to rub, they'll do it on the rear wheel arches, and at the fronts on steering lock.

I fully support the idea of new, bigger wheels, but I'd recommend no more than 8.0 wide wheels, that you stick to the standard offset, and wouldn't personally go higher than 225mm width.

If it were me too, I'd probably (actually, I did) stick to 18" and go for a design which isn't too fussy and avoid deep-dish looks. Spokes which go all the way to the rim make the wheel look bigger. Deep dish looking wheels always look small.

I had a friend who had a Cougar on 19s. He had 215/35R19 tyres. It looked great, but to be brutally honest it was barely tolerable, and I was much younger and more up-for-it at the time. While the Cougar handles very well for a FWD car, it's ride quality was never a strong point. Even on the standard wheels it has a fidgety, lumpy ride at low speed round towns etc. On 19s, it'll knock your fillings out...

Just my 2p.

Have a look in out Pictures section. There are loads of photos of various wheels and sizes on the car. Personally I think the car suits fairly simple, elegant designs but other people have different views on what looks good. :)

Hello Oilburner, welcome aboard. Re: 19 inch rims (or even 18" for that matter) IMAO would be uncomfortable to drive. I've just put on some lovely 17's with 215/45/17 Falken Tyres and the ride is so much harsher (it's also lowered 30mm too). It depends if you purely want just looks and don't mind about the harsh ride or whether you want the best of both worlds as well as fairly decent handling. Personally I'd stick to a nice set of 17's, although others will tell you different. This is just my opinion though.

Hope you find a Coug and get the wheels you want.

Hi and welcome to the club (madhouse) great bunch on here and a few laughs to be had along the way,loads of info no manuals made for cougar but all the info is either in subscriber section (£13) or the members are both knowledgeable and helpful,as well as a little mad:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
a lot of mebers have tried 17" 215/45 some have gone with 18" 215/40 or slightly wider, but some have said that the 18" are a bit of a hard ride espically with lower susp, but at the end of the day its personal choice, have fun
Tony (y)

thank you all for the speedy replies. i will as soon as i make my purchase be subscribing to the forum. i had a set of 18 inch wheels on my last car a pug 406 coupe and always wished id got 19s but like you all say its down to personal preference. wildv6 i really love the look of your car the colour and those wheels look awesome. the wheels that im interstered in getting are these what do you think i had the same on my 406 coupe and they looked fantastic well to me anyway.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370319452716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thank you all for the speedy replies. i will as soon as i make my purchase be subscribing to the forum. i had a set of 18 inch wheels on my last car a pug 406 coupe and always wished id got 19s but like you all say its down to personal preference. wildv6 i really love the look of your car the colour and those wheels look awesome. the wheels that im interstered in getting are these what do you think i had the same on my 406 coupe and they looked fantastic well to me anyway.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370319452716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

they do look nice (y)

Hi mate........yep, they look nice. I love the deep dish look personally, got some on mine

Someone on another forum posted this pic he took of a Cougar at a meet - 19" BK299 alloys which look the dogs to me. I wouldn't go that far though as I know how harsh the ride is on 17" rims and know how expensive even 18" tyres are from my old Mondeo (y)

1264105681-P1010003.JPG

18" tyres aren't too expensive, i ordered a pair of Falken FK452's this morning after yesterdays blow out and only 150 delivered, thats 215/35/18's.
225/40/18's a tiny bit cheaper.
Gets a fair bit dearer with equivalent 19's about 250 a pair.
You can get cheaper 18's from about 50 pound a corner if you want to trust Linglongs or other cheapo ones i've never heard off.

Btw the blowout was on a Pirelli P-Zero Nero costing 130 each which still had about 5mm of tread and no sign of a puncure so god knows why the outer tread decided to part with the tyre wall at 70 mph :eek:

Changing other side as well as don't trust that one now.

quite a good price, plus peace of mind, best way really. were the other ones "old" as it may have been a age problem that caused it, especially as you were saying you don't use as often as you like

We're having a meet at Xscape in Castleford this coming weekend. Pop down even if you haven't got a Cougar by then, get some ideas. See the threda in the regional events section.

quite a good price, plus peace of mind, best way really. were the other ones "old" as it may have been a age problem that caused it, especially as you were saying you don't use as often as you like

Poss as you say due to age, they were fitted just over 4 years ago and done 10,000 miles. They did look fine showing no age related cracking and went through an MOT a few months ago ok.
Had a good look at the near side front and outer and inner look fine but not taking the risk, always best to change tyres in pairs anyway and got 2 Falkens on the rear with only a coulpe of thou on them so matches all the tyres up now.

Poss as you say due to age, they were fitted just over 4 years ago and done 10,000 miles. They did look fine showing no age related cracking and went through an MOT a few months ago ok.
Had a good look at the near side front and outer and inner look fine but not taking the risk, always best to change tyres in pairs anyway and got 2 Falkens on the rear with only a coulpe of thou on them so matches all the tyres up now.

glad no harm or damage done, except to back pocket. best safe than sorry changing the pair as least you got peace of mind, and happy there all new (y)