How a gearbox works...kind of.

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
A few years ago, I tried to explain to a member here how a gearbox converts engine output to differential output. It's not the most difficult thing, but is honestly hard to visualise given the way modern transmissions are packaged.

This guy here isn't using helical gears (much less a clutch) but he gives a great illustration of how what goes in comes out. Hope you enjoy it!

I see a lot of positive responses here, but all I want to see is people getitng a handle on what's happening and why.

Paul (Procomm) made a brilliant post about the ratios of the MTX-75, and how they affect aceleration and termnal speed. I don't need to go over 100MPH, but getting there is hilarious.

Reactions: TopCat1127
My friend has a Noble M12 GTO-3R and uprated his diff. God knows with what. Anyway, he gave me the original one - Quaife, limited slip, less than 4K miles on it.

I don't need to do anything to Wildcat's clutch for now ( I think it was replaced at like 60K miles?) but once I find out what the final drive is, I'm tempted to fit it when the box has to be out.

As above, I don't mind if I can't go over 110MPH, but it would be glorious to get there sharpish-like.

Reactions: TopCat1127