Insurance for women to be the same as men

cougar

Well-known user
May 6, 2010
staffordshire
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

Now it kind of makes sense to me, and I presumed that meant that insurance premiums would be levelled out as risk factors would be looked at as a whole so young women having less accidents and all that should bring down the price of mens insurance and increase the price of womens and they should meet in the middle.

BUT... Reading that article it sounds like they're just going to increase womens premiums to what men pay??

So the insurance companies just make more money??

Hasn't that kind of backfired on the people that took it to court in the first place?

Surely if it's discrimination against gender, then age discrimination should come into it as well, and what about discriminating against the vehicle I drive, or the area I live in?

If they carry on like this we'll all have a set fee to pay :(

Bloomin Idiots

Just noticed none of the three smilies I put in that post worked properly. The last one was supposed to be a rolleyes one but it came out as a big grin - which wasn't what I intended! All sorted now - twas me using the codes for smilies from a different forum!

You don't even want to know what I've been quoted today for a Cat! :S How come my insurance is £100 cheaper if I park my car on the street than it is if I leave it overnight in a garage!???? If I say my flatmate is my live-in gay lover I get another £70 knocked off - but If I say I'm civilly married to him it goes up by £50! Mad!

Bad driving ? I have 14 years ncb, it doesn`t seem to make my insurance any cheaper, a lot of insurance is a post code lottery. when we moved from LN5 to HD3 it went up £59, Di`s went up £139, we haven`t altered our driving styles so how you drive has nowt to do with it.

If it is discrimination against women, why do they pay less. Surely it is discrimination against men, thats why they have had to pay more.
If they are putting a stop to this discrimination. Why is it that women have to pay more, Surely men should pay less.
If both sexes have to pay the highest ammount then it is discrimination against everybody.
For the last 50 years or whatever men must have been subsidising women, Are we going to get all that back?

Talk about "HighWay Robbery" Dick Turpin was Hanged for far less than they are about to rob from people.

Statistically, women actually have more accidents than men. The problem is that the accidents women have tend to be low-speed and cause little damage, whereas men have higher-speed shunts with far more collateral and more write-offs.

But do you see what I did there? I generalised. And that's the problem with insurance premium calculations.

I love the fact that we've got a collision between the ECHR's sexual equality mandate, and the fact that risk assessment shows that there are some groups which really are worse drivers than others. I look forward to the sound of lawyers' heads going BANG over this. Sadly, I suspect we'll just see women's premiums going up.

In fact, if the calculations weren't proprietary, I bet we'd see a hole load of racism going on as well.

Well haven't the europrats opened a very wriggly can of worms? The young drivers are getting screwed because their testosterone levels are through the roof causing them to drive like idiots and increase the likelihood of them having an accident. Since the judgement today relates to discrimination based on gender then the door is open for a ruling based on ageism.

I don't agree with the ruling for what it's worth, it's wrong, if somebody is a higher risk according to statistics then they should pay more. It's a business, what's next? Bookies discriminating against fast horses with short odds ffs?

They've added video and more text to the news article since I posted it, they're now saying that womens insurance premiums could go up by 40% and mens could go down by 10%. Somehow I doubt they'll be going down :(

the reason why car insurance is cheap for women is that when they crash into another car they just drive off without reporting it.

All I can say is im for it, if it gets that bloody Sheilas Wheels advert off the goggle box

Sorry pal, no such luck. Industry Press -

Sheilas' Wheels claims that it will be the “biggest beneficiary” of today’s European Court of Justice’s ban on gender differentiation in insurance

Sheilas' Wheels says it will be able to buck the trend. “The fact that we have so many women insured with us already will make it easier for us to absorb this,” said a spokesman.

Sheilas' Wheels is banking on its distinctively feminine brand. “Despite this ruling, we will continue to market to women and to celebrate our pink brand because it does not prevent female-focused marketing,” said a spokesman for Sheilas' Wheels.

“Sheilas' Wheels has always insured men but most males simply aren’t attracted to our brand and we don’t see this changing because of price.”

I wonder! would women have fought so hard for the "vote" if they knew it would one day affect their motor insurance policies. :LOL:

I'm really sorry to answer with a serious post, but I reckon that not being treated like chattel - less than brick property - would make higher insurance worthwhile.

There's about 100 men here going "STFU, Mako" and about ten women going "Yeah - you're right"