Just saying hello.

L

leadfoot91

Im from tulsa oklahoma usa. I've been a member on newcougar.org since november 2009. i've owned my cougar since oct 2008. It was extremely damaged when i bought it and i've fully restored it. it still needs some finishing work, but for the most part its done. 3 days ago i shredded my differential, so she's down until i get a new one, and im driving an 89 plymouth acclaim(n).

Thanks. Does anyone around here happen to have a cheap stock differential or LSD, that they would like to part with. I cant find any used Lsd's in the US.

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. My differential has just self destructed, but I've got another 'box off a member on here.

Edit: Think I may have been chatting to you on facebook, Matthew Tallant?

Last edited:
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. My differential has just self destructed, but I've got another 'box off a member on here.

Edit: Think I may have been chatting to you on facebook, Matthew Tallant?

yup thats me. are you steve or darren?

Welcome to the forum, sure someone will come up with what you need (y) (y)

Steve. Good to have you onboard Matt. Can't believe after all the hard work you've done, the diffs goosed.

yeah, the trans had 144000 miles on it. so i shouldve torn it down and looked at it, but i didnt know what i was looking at....until now...ill know next time. i have a question, that newcougar cant answer. i dont know why, i put a post up, and put an extra question in it, they dont answer.

How long can these transmissions last? treated right? Ive had it for about 600 miles, and no grinds, and it doesnt pop out of gear. it seems to be just fine, should it still last awhile once i get a diff installed.

100_1876.jpg

100_1877.jpg

100_1877e.jpg

100_1878.jpg

100_1879.jpg

100_1880.jpg

100_1881.jpg

100_1883.jpg

100_1884.jpg

100_1885.jpg

100_1887.jpg

100_1888.jpg

100_1890.jpg

yeah, the trans had 144000 miles on it. so i shouldve torn it down and looked at it, but i didnt know what i was looking at....until now...ill know next time. i have a question, that newcougar cant answer. i dont know why, i put a post up, and put an extra question in it, they dont answer.

How long can these transmissions last? treated right? Ive had it for about 600 miles, and no grinds, and it doesnt pop out of gear. it seems to be just fine, should it still last awhile once i get a diff installed.

My 2.5 Si Mondeo (Contour to you) had 145,000 miles on it, and had no gearbox issues. I know someone with a Cougar that has 188,000 miles on it, and just replaced the wishbones, but no gearbox issues.
Some may say it's the way they're driven, but I couldn't possibly comment.:censored:

Hi and welcome to ukcougar.com, your in the right place for all things cougar related, as well as some crazy banter. You will also be able to find all the fixes you need in our subscriber sections. Have a browse around the open forums and get a feel for the place, maybe pay a visit to the OFS. Remember! ukcougar.com is the only workshop manual for the big cat.

My transmission had done 163,000 when I removed it from the Mondeo stippe the box out gears still looked new so installed them in my gearbox casing The Dlff was a different story (sorry for pun).

i've heard the diff is the weakest point. even weaker than the drive shafts. i really want an lsd, but since money is tight, it'll be better on my wallet to trade this guy a couple doors for it. i just gotta price shipping. im not sure if i mentioned it, but it has 27000 miles and he says is in perfect condition. and its from a pre-98 so its forged not cast, so its stronger.

No I had to have the diff housing bored out to take the open and lsd to drive the fourby it only just went in was sweating alittle.