Review: 4/5 Meguiars perfect Clarity Headlight Restoration Kit

backseateducation

Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
With the MOT looming I decided to have a go at the yellowed headlights on mum's hard-worked CRV. This gets an annual service and probably a wash once a year too.
While ambling around Halfords i spotted this -
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/two-step-headlight-restoration-kit
for £30 and decided to give it a go. The kit comes with two bottles (one abrasive cream, one sealant) and two abrasive pads, which are the right size to use on a DA sander/polisher. I don't own one of those so out came the elbow grease.
You apply the cream with the pad to remove the yellowed top surface of the headlight lens. It takes a fair bit of effort by hand, and the two supplied pads are only just enough to do both headlights before they are no longer abrasive enough, but the results are excellent. Once you've removed as much of the top layer as you can, wipe the headlight over with a damp cloth. You're left with a uniform but still dull finish, which is slightly disappointing until you spray on the sealer and the lens suddenly becomes clear and shiny.
If I had got a polisher or even just a few more abrasive pads I reckon I could have done an even better job but to be honest I'm well pleased. Plenty left in the bottles for several more cars too.

Performance - 4/5
Value - 4/5
Overall - 4/5

Here's some pics...
28136494782_60692f6b4c_c.jpg

28163001601_8fb3087596_c.jpg

28137028022_bcc9748663_c.jpg

That looks like you did a great job Matt. May buy some of this, as always handy to have and I have a DA, so should make the job easier. Good shout bud, have yourself a trifle to celebrate lol!!

Got this kit for my birthday and gave it a go yesterday, the results are stunning.

Before:
DSC_1511.jpg

After step 1:
DSC_1517.jpg

After step 2:
DSC_1519.jpg DSC_1518.jpg