space.gif
g.gif
space.gif
a.gif
space.gif
r.gif

Sadly someone already has CU51GAR and they wont let me have C001GAR

From the DVLA website;
Are there any restrictions to the year of registration number I can choose?

• You can make your vehicle look as old as you wish but you can not make it look newer than it actually is i.e. You cannot put a Y registration number on a T registered vehicle but you could choose any prefix from an A to a T.
http://www.dvlaregistrations.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/

Nice plate, bit concerned reading an article in Sunday Mirror a week or so ago about a chap having a prang and when the accident place sent photos to the insurance company they refused to pay as the car was driving "illegaly" due to the spacing moved on number plate to make it look like a name !!
Got the same on wifes car but haven't been pulled in 3 months it's been on.
:dita: to them thats what i say.

The reflective back vynals that plate suppliers use to make plates are supplied to them with their own unique serial number. So you would need erase the serial number on the back of the plate to help prevent the kind chap who obliged with making the new plates being traced.

I dont think the Police would agree its a waste of police resources Phil, as its just another excuse to prey on the easy target motorist to increase revenue with pointless fines! Catching criminals costs serious money, catching motorists for stupid reasons creates serious money! In defence of the Police though, the uninsured and the wreckless drivers do need policing, but someone say having a Man Utd logo in place of the Euro logo does no harm to society, the law on reg plates should be very simple. If the No plate recognition camera's can correctly identify the car reg from the plate, then no offence could possibly have been committed. The camera's simply use a system of preprogrammed logic to identify a reg plate, I'm sure that with sufficient training even the traffic officers could become educated enough to consider that the reg plate at a glance can only be interpreted to be read as the reg number for that vehicle. Maybe the Police are more stupid than we think they are, hence why reg plate reg's are so stringent!

Cheers

Ste

Yes the police are stupid. They need help, we should all put a list of laws that we do and don't want to comply with on the back of our cars. Then they can just take a look and if it's on the list they shouldn't stop you. Lets face it they shouldn't fine people just a friendly don't do that sir every couple of weeks until you get bored of them stopping you and put it right This would suffice.

Yes the police are stupid. They need help, we should all put a list of laws that we do and don't want to comply with on the back of our cars. Then they can just take a look and if it's on the list they shouldn't stop you. Lets face it they shouldn't fine people just a friendly don't do that sir every couple of weeks until you get bored of them stopping you and put it right This would suffice.

Sorry matey, got to disagree - the Police aren't stupid! They are just enforcing "Government Regulations" - Police don't make laws, they just enforce them. The reason for the crack down on illegal plates is due to the ANPR camera's are not built to pick up spaces or lack of spaces on registration plates, it's a bit like some programmes on your pc that if you were to input your phone number as eg. 01392456789 the computer cannot always read it but if you were to add in the space eg 01392 456 789 it then understands what it's looking at.

Think about it this way - if some twit prangs your Cougar and drives off and has illegal plates which ANPR or any other camera cannot read then how are you going to get any compensation from them???? and how are the Police going to catch them??

Think on before making a statement that the Police are stupid!

its a 51 plate cat sadly I think I am just inside the huge tax hike as well

?ú160 quid is it worth it?
Anything after March 2001 is in the new TAX band mate i'm sorry (this includes X, Y, 51, 52) and is not limited to just C2's but late registered C1's too.

I think ?ú160 is quite cheep actually mate, most of the reg No's i'm interested in are in the thousands :eek::eek:

looking into it there is a huge registration fee sadly so i'm now looking at ?ú250 from the DVLA for the price.

On a side note I totally agree with wildv6 about the spacing and the anpr system but what I cant understand is why they are so concerned about the side pictures which would have no bearing on the anpr system and allows drivers to personalise their plates a little bit.

Maybe its because the registration/license plate is a legal requirement, therefore non-negotiable. To modify your registration plate is an offence, just as it is if you modify your details in your legal documents. The law has to draw a line, if it didn't some prat would eventually start turning letters and numbers upside down just for the fun of it. Anpr is fine but sometimes the police and the general public need to revert to that old fashioned out-moded thing called common sense and eyesight. If you witness an accident, you want to be able to read a number plate without any distractions and any mod to a number plate is a distraction.
On this subject i stand by the law 100%, number plates should meet a legal requirement and be of a set standard.
Okidoke, you can carry on now :wink5: