Nearly bought a cougar, but there was a clicking noise...

markeff

New user
Aug 11, 2010
Nottingham
Hi Guys,

I had went to view a Cougar this afternoon. My first one. I was very impressed, pretty certain that I will be owning a Cougar if I can find a good one. The engine gave me a pleasant surprise, I used to own an Audi A6 with a V6 and the V6 Duratec is better :)

The one I looked at today was pretty good, the only negatives were a smoke stained roof lining, tired drivers seat and no display on the stereo.

I was about to make an offer when half way through the test drive I noticed a clicking noise when I opened the throttle. The noise wasn't there when the engine was cold. The noise could also be created when stationery by opening the throttle, so it wasn't related to when the engine was under load.

I walked away because I didn't know what the noise was. The vendor (trader) reckoned it was the injectors?? And it was totally normal. A cougar drove past me as I was making my way home, it was not making a clicking noise!

Any thoughts?

people who know more will be along soon, but you did the right thing. You can always go back and make an offer once the more knowledgable on here give you some idea

Thanks. The chap took a little offense when I said I wanted a second opinion on what he said. He was like "you can bring a mechanic but he will say the same", I tried to explain I wanted to ask a whole group of Cougar owners - far more reliable than one persons opinion. Needless to say he didn't get it!

it could be something simple. As i say, the mechanical types will help out soon.

What are the details of the car (age, spec, mileage) and what is the seller asking>?

Ticking when hot is usualy a sign that one of the head gaskets is blowing ..... if thats the case you did the right thing by walking away ... theres plenty of cougars out there for sale , if you became a subscribed member you could view the classified section as theres normaly a car or 2 floating around in the club , normaly with a good history as owned by a club member

Oh and a little tip to anyone reading this who is looking to test drive a cougar (or any car), drive with the windows open so you can hear any noises. Sounds obvious, but I didn't deliberately leave the window open. Glad I did.

Passing parked cars help bounce any noises into the car too.

that price is too high. There is a w plate near me with 76k on the clock at 1350, while there are a couple of members on here selling better cars for less money and much better cars for not a lot more money!

Ticking when hot is usualy a sign that one of the head gaskets is blowing ..... if thats the case you did the right thing by walking away ... theres plenty of cougars out there for sale , if you became a subscribed member you could view the classified section as theres normaly a car or 2 floating around in the club , normaly with a good history as owned by a club member

I'm a bit confused. There is a classified link at the top of the page with 3 cars in it, but there is also sub-forum called for sale, are there cars in there too? If so I'll subscribe, I was going to leave subscribing until I bought a car.

yes there are a few cars in there, but you do need to be a subscriber. If you have your mind set on getting a coug (and thats a good call), then one of the best things you can do is subscribe to this club.

If you're interested in a Cougar with an Auto box then there may be a green C2 coming up for sale sometime soon - a few of the guys on here are working on it at the moment (y)

there is only 3 cougars for sale at the moment in the classifieds the other for sale section you saw was the old defunked one mark

Shame about the one you tested, but did the wise thing. Hope you find one, had mine just under a month and is a great feeling owning. All the best... Dave (Somerset)