New Cat owner here.

N

Night_inc

Hi all!

About two weeks ago I made what turned out to be the best decision of my life; I became the proud owner of a 2001 V6 Cat1 'X' in black. After a couple of weeks of running her in and getting used to the bigger engine (my history starts with a 1987 1.1 ford fiesta, onto a 07 plate BMW 318, onto the Cat) I think i've just fallen in love. Today I got her cleaned inside and out and did a thorough test of all the gizmo's and conditioned the leather. She smells great and looks superb!

I'm a bit of a purist, and aside from the new stereo and possibility of a rear spoiler, I want to keep her as she was made. But i'm a complete novice when it comes to cars. Love driving them with a passion, but have an extremely limited knowledge when it comes to what makes them tick; hence I had a quick look through this site and quickly decided the subscription was well worth it - my Cat (i'm told) has every possible option available on a Cougar.

With that in mind my first question is this - and I apologise for what i'm sure are stupid/amateur questions! Just went out to buy a 5l drum of oil. Chose Halfords own brand 5w-30. They assured me it would be fine for the Cat and it's the same standard number, except 'b' instead of 'a'. But when I checked the level it appeared to be almost empty. I had no warning light come on - is this usual? Also, the dipstick doesn't seem to be that clear - i emptied 2l in but it didn't seem to raise that much. Does this indicate a problem, or had the previous owner just let her run dry? Am I looking for a 'solid' level across the dipstick, or am i looking just for the oil along the thin edge of the dipstick?

Looking forward to a long relationship with my Cat, and a fruitful one with you guys!

Ta,

Ian.

Last edited:
hi and welcome to the forum. you shouldn,t let the cougar get low on oil v6,s dont like oil starvation can cause problems in the long run. theres 2 level marks on the dipstick you should be on the top max level .
enjoy the cougar shes on her way to be a modern classic that everyone wants

hi ya mate. the best thing to do is empty the lot, maybe give a good service oil filter etc, that way u know how much u put in . but then again the car could of been runnin low

Cheers guys. She's due a major service so I'll get that done next week. Read about the effects of oil-deprivation on the v6 on another thread - definitely don't want the expense and headache of that! How much oil is in the engine if the level is at the max?

Cheers guys. She's due a major service so I'll get that done next week. Read about the effects of oil-deprivation on the v6 on another thread - definitely don't want the expense and headache of that! How much oil is in the engine if the level is at the max?
5.5 litres from empty to full ,always wise to keep a litre in the boot for those special occassions

Welcome aboard Night_inc, good to see another "Ebony" owner on here. Get some pic's posted up of your Coug soon.

Welcome to the forum Night_inc, loads of useful information to be found, and if you're peckish a fair amount of spam as well. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cheers guys! I see the 'welcoming' legend of UKC.com is indeed true! I just posted about a club tat, perhaps this is a bit extreme for some, but please read if you have a moment and any suggestions are welcome!