New Cougar owner :D

zetec

Well-known user
Mar 24, 2010
Leicestershire, England
Hi all,

Just bought a 99' silver 2 litre Cougar with a full leather interior! :)

Although i've been driving for just over 2 years now, this is the first car i've actually gone out and bought myself so I decided to make it a Cougar :)

Great site & forum here, i'm sure it's gonna be a great help if I have any problems with the car, or just meeting up with other owners!

I dont think theres much wrong with it, but there are a couple of things that maybe someone will be able to shed light on for me.

First thing is, the rheostat switch has fallen through the dashboard somehow and I just cant get to it so I think the dash is gonna have to come out maybe, the other thing is on the passenger side there is a loud rattle coming from where the airbag is on the dash - my thoughts are maybe it's worked it's way loose? Another reason I might have to take the dash out :(

Apart from possibly needing two front shocks, it's straight and tidy so i'm dead chuffed with it :).

I'll try to get some pics up when the weather gets better and I can clean it :D

Cheers,

Zetec.

Welcome to the forum Zetec, a 2L with leather, someone's obviously gone to the trouble of changing it, as, i.i.r.c. all 2L's came with cloth. As for your rattle, there's another member with the same problem, I'm sure he'll be along soon to advise you on it. (y)

Hi Zetec (top name for a zetec owner) (y) and welcome to ukcougar.com, your in the right place for all things cougar related, as well as some crazy banter. You will also be able to find all the fixes you need in our subscriber sections. Have a browse around the open forums and get a feel for the place, maybe pay a visit to the OFS. Remember! ukcougar.com is the only workshop manual for the big cat.
Stribo is correct. all zetec came originally with cloth interior, so you got the benefit of somebody else "mod" there. You'll probably need a new facia panel (the plastic front) if the rheostat has fallen in, seems to be the bug lately with screw caps breaking off.

Main question to ask and to check with the zetec: Has the timing belt and pulleys been renewed lately, if not, or your in any doubt, arrange to have them done asap, just for peice of mind.

Welcome Zetec.
Looks like you got yourself a nice rare Zetec X-Pack.:LOL:

The subscriber sections of the forum will tell you exactly how to remove and access the dash parts you need to get to.
The £13 subscription will pay for itself once you've tackled a few things yourself based on the knowledge within this forum.(y)

BTW please edit your location. If you don't want to give away your town or city you can always put in your county. It just makes things a little easier when organising meets, shows or if a nearby member is able to pop over for some help. Hope to see you soon. ;)

welocme bud, not sure if its the same thing but my aircon/climate control unit has just come loose, not rattling but just wiggles about when you use the dials. there are 3 that i can find on ebay at the moment, will try and post the links up later if it is that. Once you sunscribe there is a quality "How To" on removing the dash to help with that.

Joe

welcome along mate,

the rattle coming from your passenger side might be the fuse box has been left dangling.

Thanks all,

pid_16V, the first thing I did was replace the timing belt & tensioners :D cheers for all the sugestions as to what the rattle is and i'll get a subscribtion sorted out soon I hope!

Cheers,

Zetec.

Welcome to the club matey

Rattle is probably Windscreen Vent Strip, mine is forever popping out & rattling, needs mastic-ing down another little job I must do !

Simon

Cheers Simon,

Yeah that was rattling too, blue tac has so many uses :D

The rattle im on about I believe is actually coming from behind the dash, which makes me think that something has come completley loose, i'm gonna check the fuse box when I get back from work as somebody has already suggested :D

Zetec.