New keen owner wants to know stuff...

SgM

Forum user
Aug 25, 2010
South East
Hello all

I am now a proud owner of a 1999 T reg V6 Cougar!! - The car came with a FSH and what looks like 2 careful (and elderly - not necessarily a good thing!!) previous owners. It's just great to drive!!

I trawled through your brilliant forum before taking the plunge and buying and obtained v useful info which helped with my decision - so thanks - as a result I am now a subscriber..

From history wishbones have been changed at least 3 times in the past (should i be worried??? - or is this down to bad roads / driving / luck?) - the most recent change just prior to me buying, which will hopefully save me a job for sometime to come. – Can the suspension be adjusted to reduce the risk of these going again??

Also – I have read nightmare stories about minor suspension repairs and then the sub frame not being set properly (i.e. clueless mechanics) with bolts being cut, not replaced and this then causing gearbox failure!! – would you recommend I get the sub frame checked, (though steering feels ok)??

Not sure about IMRC – I have read a lot on the threads about this and wonder if I am getting the most out of my V6 – the acceleration seems steady, fairly brisk and sustained to me, (though I am used to driving a 1.8i 16v Mazda) and it took me a second before I realised I was fast approaching 115MPH in no time at all – (only kidding of course)
I do not think I feel a “turbo thrust” at 3500 – 4000rpm – would I definitely feels something or is there a more subtle refined push than this? Other than opening the throttle up in lower gears, I would not know how else to check it, nor have the confidence, despite there being loads of threads on here to help. – the car has done approx 95k and I do not see that the IMRC has been repaired / changed in the paperwork that I now have – any advice would be welcome..

Lastly (thankfully I hear you say) I drive approx 100 miles / day – mostly M driving and am getting about 32MPG when driving sensibly – does this seem about right for the V6? – the engine / bonnet seems hot after a good drive (yes I know it’s supposed to be hot, but it almost smells hot, if that makes sense??) – the coolant was changed at last service, which was 6k ago, but nearly 2 years ago!!!! – told you the owner was an oldie!! – so I will get the coolant changed ASAP – The temp gauge is always normal and coolant level normal when cold – is this quite normal for a V6 Cougar to feel hot?

Apologies to bang on, but just a little excited I guess and want to get the best out of me new vehicle and also to look after it properly

Appreciate any advice you can give

Cheers

SgM

PS – I live in S. East (Mid Essex region) – does anyone know of any capable mechanics / garages that will do this car the justice it so deserves?

Welcome to the forum and ownership mate (y)

have a look at the wishbones yourself mate if they are recently changed the bolts and nuts should still look fairly clean, if they have been put in with the nut on the top then you can be pretty sure they cut the old ones off and didn't drop the front subframe.

IMRC - my car has just clocked 89,000 and i have not had a problem yet (touch wood)

as for a turbo thrust, you wont really feel anything under gentle accelleration but if you slam your foot down you will notice around the 3000 rev point that the engine noise changes slightly and the revs will climb faster, you wont really notice it throwing you back into the seat as the boost from a turbo will.

32mpg is about average for motorway driving, and the V6 engine does run hot so you will feel the heat coming through after prolonged driving, Check your oil level and top up if needed and also change your coolant if its a couple of year old.

Any good mechanic will be able to do your cougar mate as long as you use the correct oil,filters and plugs (y)

Hi SgM congrats on your Cougar purchase. Can't really add to what Procomm's written, but if you're a bit more specific about your location, there may be a member nearby who can give it the once over for you.

Thanks - much appreciated

I live near Braintree in Essex (little village just outside), though i am up in London most days for work and will travel to see someone if needs be - just wondered if anyone from this area could recommend a garage / mechanic who knows hios way round a coog and is trusted

cheers

thanks for the warm welcome!!

no plans for modding the shell - i am happy with the way it looks - refined and a bit naughty!! - what i will aim for is to get top performance whilst looking after it as well as i (or a nice mechanic) can...........firstly need to drain and flush the coolant system, change oil / filter and check sparks / leads and get me IMRC thingy looked at - any other pointers on improving perfomance economically, whilst keeping insurance as low as possible??

thanks for the warm welcome!!

no plans for modding the shell - i am happy with the way it looks - refined and a bit naughty!! - what i will aim for is to get top performance whilst looking after it as well as i (or a nice mechanic) can...........firstly need to drain and flush the coolant system, change oil / filter and check sparks / leads and get me IMRC thingy looked at - any other pointers on improving perfomance economically, whilst keeping insurance as low as possible??
Welcome to UKC.com SgM. If you check out the club discounts section, you'll see you can get very competitive insurance deals through the club mate & performance wise, it's just a case of how far you, or your wallet, want to go!:)

Lowering it will improve cornering at speed, a stainless performance exhaust will make it pull better through the higher gears & give you an improved pick-up & sound, a cone, or Mondeo ST200 air box with K&N panel filter, will improve induction & noise, to mention just a few. If you do start modifying, even with just the exhaust, it can add a lot on your premium, but the insurance companies on here will probably quote you the same or less than what you're already paying, mods included.(y)