New Owner

W

wodster

Hi all, thought i would join up, I have just bought a 1999 (V) 2.5L Cougar. Everything is great apart from a leak from the steering fluid that i need to trace so i can repair it.

Hidey hoody bud.

Welcome to the club.

Re 'Power steering fluid', check the pipe that's across the top of the left hand side of the engine, the seals usually leak (y)

PS. It's a silvery colour, different from the rest

Hello thanks for the welcome,

I will check on that now to see there seems to be fluid hitting the ground on the passenger side so looks like it could be a good chance its that. many thanks

Hidey hoody bud.

Welcome to the club.

Re 'Power steering fluid', check the pipe that's across the top of the left hand side of the engine, the seals usually leak (y)

PS. It's a silvery colour, different from the rest

Hello thanks for the welcome,

I will check on that now to see there seems to be fluid hitting the ground on the passenger side so looks like it could be a good chance its that. many thanks
That's the left side as you look at it. In other words, the drivers side, sorry, my bad

its ok lol i got what you meant i will be checking all over, not a lot of room in there lol

hi to all thanks for the welcome, back to my leak lol :oops: i have checked and it all seems to be coming from the drivers side at the front, i have checked all the pipes from the resovoire through and they seem fine so am now a bit stuck,

i know that the fluid is thin so can travel anywhere while i am moving but the concentration seems to be there.

any ideas ?? :censored:
many thanks

Ps mods if i need to move this part of the thread to a more relevent place let me know

Just looked at the subscription and I will get my yearly one paid up asap. well worth it many thanks

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. The best thing to do is pay your 13 quid subscriptions and you will have access to all areas of the forum. A wealth of knowledge all about the Cougar.
Your leak sounds like it is coming from the power steering oil cooler which is a long pipe behind the front grill just in front or the rad. There is a bend on it at the passenger side and it usually leaks from there.

hi and welcome to ukcougar.com check the pas oil cooler look through the lower grill at front bumper you will see a u shaped pipe with fins all the way round it

Hello and Welcome Wodster. Where in Lincoln are you? coz I'm from Lincoln although don't live there anymore.

Hi and welcome to the site..
Hope you get your little leak fixed soon.. What kind of fluid is it, oily or watery.?
I had a little leak which I thought was coolant, turned out to be washer fluid where one of the pipes had come off the washer pump, which is in the front wing by the bumper.. Simple fix..